INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broaheads for rabbits and bushytails???  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broaheads for rabbits and bushytails???
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2003, 06:49:00 PM »
BTW the "C" clips are made from good carbon steel and should hold an edge just fine.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2003, 06:52:00 PM »
Frank, is that a wingnut under your fieldpoint in the pick? Do you sharpen em?

Thanks,
CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2003, 06:54:00 PM »
Tim, that's a fine idea! a lot less work than the Electrical knockouts, too!
Well done
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2003, 06:55:00 PM »
Cajun you bet i do.really put the smack down on the old bushytail.with a BIG thump!!   :thumbsup:   <><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2003, 08:27:00 PM »
here is an idea. pop out primer on the shell case, and grab some self tapping metal screws. (the kind you use a nut driver for) Put the shell over the end of the arrow, then drill the self tapping metal screw right through the case, and into the tip of the arrow, you can use it with or without the wingnut, (if you use the wingnut, you will have to grind the inside of the wings a bit, or it wont sit flush, experimenting with some differant sizes of wingnuts might be the answer)

As the head side is a hex head, with a concave top reminisencet of the ace "hex" heads...it should hit with extreme prejudice.

the pressure of the screw going in should tighten up the  wood inside the shell casing, and make it so it will stay on?

just an idea, whaddya think?
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2003, 09:29:00 PM »
Without predrilling it could split the shaft Calvin.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2003, 09:38:00 PM »
The thumbscrew thingy looks like a neat idea.What size are the threads on a standard arrow insert? Frank how hard is it to sharpen those wingnuts and what do you use to sharpen em?I'm trying to get geared up for some february bushytail action.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2003, 11:22:00 PM »
Got me some of them things made tonight.

I opted for the nutter, then drilled a hole in the end of the shaft, and screwed in the thumb screw.Sharpened her up and whala! The thing looks like something Darth vader would play dirty with!

Post some pics tomorrow night.

Thumb screws are a little high doller dude!
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2003, 11:43:00 PM »
Charlie...doesnt the self tapping metal screw predrill for you? and wouldnt the shell case hold the wood together if it did?
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2003, 11:44:00 PM »
Ya know i been a thinking i got some old broadheads without the blades. What if i screwed one of them on with a sharp wingnut insted of the fieldpoint?I really like the winger it hits hard like a blunt and really packs a wollup! I never had one run more than a few feet if i hit in the side a head shot they go nowhere !!this stuff is fun<><  :bigsmyl:

TGMM

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2003, 07:44:00 AM »
Calvin...you'd have to try it to be sure, but I'd bet that shaft splits. Last time I tried something like that was back in the sixties, but I didn't use a self tapping. I drilled the primer out of a .38 and just ran a panhead screw in the end of the shaft. It split the shaft regardless of the case.

Cajun...Like Lance says, the cut does make a difference. Kinda opens a path for the shocking face of the blunt so you're not just gettin surface shock, but deep internal shock + hemmorage.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bowdonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2003, 08:28:00 AM »
Some more info regarding the post I made yesterday.The tubing cutter is something purchased in the hardware store ,not those little ones sold for cutting aluminum shafts though I suppose that would work also because brass cuts eaisly.The slip-fix will add weight also,don't know how much,never thought to weigh them.Drilling out the primer hole and screwing in a self tapping screw works but to me didn't serve no purpose other than add weight.Slip-Fix for me was eaiser and more importantly added traction.These work on small game,grouse,rabbit,and tree rats.But the key on squirells is a strong bow if you use blunts.There is another point I use thats a cutting field point.I haven't bagged to many critters with it but seems to have promise.Basicly its a point with a small hole drilled about a quarter inch down where it meets the shaft,in the point itself now.Then a small wire brad? is cut down so it sticks out a eigth inch on each side.The brad or nail is sharpened not to a point but on 2 sides like a broadhead and slid through the hole with some glue to keep it from turning when riding in the quiver.It's actually a friction fit.The wire can be left to stick out farther to tune your set up so you get something between a bounce off and a pass through.Hope this helps,all this experimentation was done for the sake of a effective and cheap{I hate that word}small game head.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2003, 08:34:00 AM »
A standard screwin head is 8-32 X 3/4lg.The box of screws I ordered was 12$/100.After I get the thumb screws I,ll see if I can get them wieghed as well as some washers.Thanx Flinttim thats a good idea also.
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2003, 05:56:00 PM »
Timo,

I went out today and got some nuts from the store.  There were diff. costing ones but the cheaper (.07ea) weighed in at around 110 gr. when I got them home. (3/8-16).  I also found some nuts with slots cut in them that looked wicked thinkin each of the slots could be sharpened... I think they were for like cotter keys to slide through..only weighed 85 gr and cost $.80ea! (3/8-16).

Then I found something bizarre.  It was also 3/8-16, but had a big disk with 4 cuts in it with a threaded inside column, and the cuts were bent up. I think you drive the gizmo into soft wood upside down and then thread the bolt in.

I'm gonna mount it onto the shaft with the spikes and the threaded column mounted out.  The column is a cylinder that is threaded that comes up just a wee bit past the points.  Each of them weighs 120gr and only cost $.55 ea.  

I gotta borrow a taper tool to get them started on the shaft, and then I'll take some pics.  If someone is willing to get them displayed, I'll email them to whomever.  Let me know toward the weekend if anyone's interested and willing to post my pics.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bearcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »
Fishrofmen, those fieldtips with wingnuts are new to me. Gotta fix me up some of those. I just registered on this site and already love it. Plenty of Smallgame info!
As for Me and My House, We will serve the Lord.    Josh 24:15

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »
Doc Nock, sent me a pic, and asked me to post it up for him.

Here's a pic of his version of the nutter,  Squirrel sticker  that he was talking about in his last post.

Looks pretty viciuos to me!   :thumbsup:
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2003, 10:58:00 AM »
Doc nock hows she fly?thanks<><

TGMM

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
fishrofmen1:

I have used the wingnut and field tip for a couple of years, got the idea on some other site, can't remember which? Anyways have you tried them unsharpened. I have tried them both ways, and my testing found that i liked them unsharpened better. They hit just as hard and put both squirrels and rabbits down, and have shot a small chuck with one and it really put the hurting on him, ran a couple steps and died. I found that unsharpened they don't stick in trees and are alot less likely to borrow. with the same results as sharpened. Just my 2 cents.

Bryan

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2003, 12:54:00 AM »
Now these er the type post i like the best.Learned a bunch,from you fellas.Problem is,next time i go to the hardware store for a hunnydo,im gonna be so busy lookin for this stuff,im gonna forget why i was there in the first place.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Bearcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2003, 08:58:00 AM »
The field tip & wingnut just looking seems like it would be very effective to me and maybe as good as a judo for recovery.
As for Me and My House, We will serve the Lord.    Josh 24:15

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©