INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broaheads for rabbits and bushytails???  (Read 2530 times)

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broaheads for rabbits and bushytails???
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2003, 09:28:00 PM »
THANKS LUKE!all the glory to HIM! because HE is WORTHY! I have been saved for 7 years and love evert minute!GOD bless trad gang and all who are members!!Merry CHRISTmas!frank<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Stumpkiller

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2003, 10:49:00 PM »
I haven't weighed one, but isn't a .38 Special case much lighter than a 125 gr. blunt?  Wouldn't that have the effect of making your arrows behave like they were of stiffer spine and shoot left of 'normal' weight tips?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2003, 12:58:00 AM »
airight. I weighed a .38 case. about 75 grains with the primer in it. I 'spose one could come close to 125 with the right thumbscrew?
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2003, 09:39:00 AM »
Thanx for sharing.I was first thinkin of just adding some .06 dia.SS pcs of wire maybe 3/4 long thru the casing stickin out both sides like a tough judo point but this idea seems really good.
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2003, 09:40:00 AM »
I really like this idea.  Going to have to give it a try.    :thumbsup:

I got lots of spent .357 brass and a few .38s too
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2003, 09:54:00 AM »
Bushytail buster. this is what i am going to try today if i get the chance.This flys great and smacks a golf ball better than my driver! Golf balls are what i pactice with for small game. I mean if you can hit a golf ball at 10 yards or get real close you should be able to hit a rabbit.W  tradgang.com  hat ya think?<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2003, 11:28:00 AM »
I like the muzzy also ...but there needs to be more small game type heads. mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2003, 04:08:00 PM »
Never would have thought of using a wingnut behind a field tip.Good idea.Too bad I use wood arrows.
Lincoln E. Farr

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2003, 08:42:00 PM »
I wonder if you used the longer .357 case, if you could put some #8 shot in first, then pour in some epoxy and stick in your arrow.  

I'm makin up some woodies to take on George Stoudt's PA Feb squirrel hunt and I had the gent not taper the point just so I could use wood arras w/no point taper and put 38 cases on the end.  Shot might just add enough weight!

Don't see why a fella can't pop the primer (I'll use my press thanks..gives me a reason to use that for once in 10 years!) and then after it's epoxed in place on the woodie, I would think it not too hard to drill outa pilot hole in a wood arra through the primer pocket for the thumb screw.  Will it work?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2003, 09:52:00 PM »
Doc Nock. I do just that with my .357 mag cases.. I fill the case about half full with #9 shot then inject some 5 minute epoxy, then I hot melt it onto a shaft that is just cut not tapered. I have weighed them after the epoxy dries and they come in anywhere form 120 t 130 grains. Shawn
Shawn

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2003, 08:29:00 AM »
Has anybody wieghed the casing and thumb screw combo to see what that wieghs?The thumb screw and a washer on an alum. arrow seems like it would be a good combo also.

Offline Bowdonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2003, 01:10:00 PM »
Some weights
Federal&Remington 38s  65-67 gr.
Winchester&S&W 38s     75-77 gr.
brass Rem. 38s         67-69 gr.
nickle Win.357         82-83 gr.
nickle Fed.357         79 gr.
Aluminum CCI357        31 gr.
various 30 carbine     73-74 gr.
military 30 carbine    70-72 gr.
military 223 1.25"     84-86 gr.
various 30-30 1"       98-100 gr.
   "      "   1 1/8       ?
   "      "   1 1/4       ?
 The last 2 I use a tubing cutter,the 223 are measured from the bottom of the base,30-30 from the top of the base.The 223 fits 5/16" shafts the 30-30 11/32".I also use a inside chamfer tool reloaders use after trimming their brass.The 30-30 also fits 23-64 with a little help.My powder scale only goes up to 100 gr. so I don't know the weight of the longer cases,maybe someone could help out.
 These are great stumping blunts and small game but to make them a little more effective I dip them in Slip-Fix.This is a product used to put a non-slip grip on tool handles.Use as is and dip a like a candle,only go half way up brass and let dry then go to top of brass and dry then about a quarter to a half inch up shaft.You end up with something  that looks like those slip on rubber blunts.Or the way I've been doing it now is to thin the Slip-Fix to a 30 weight consistancy,dip twice up to top of brass and thats it.Leaves a thin but tough coat.This coating provides a little more traction on the ground,against trees,squirells etc.Not as many lost arrows,and seems to kill critters a little better.But next to cape buffalo squirells are the hardest animal to put down unless head shot.Hunting them with blunts require a stout bow{60# plus in my opinion}and then they will still run off on occasion.Hope this helps.

"      "

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2003, 01:30:00 PM »
Thanx.If the cases are pushin 70gr then adding the thumb screw sould be just about perfect.I ordered a box of them 8-32X 3/4 long same as a standard screwin.I could also make up some nuts to go inside the case if I need to bring the wieght up.Them squirrels are in trouble now  :thumbsup:

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2003, 01:59:00 PM »
I'm finding this thread fascinating, obviously I've never killed a bushytail with an arrow but I've shot one or two with a twenty two and can't remember ever thinking that they were very tenacious, incidently, I'm not for a minute suggesting that they aren't either, we don't eat them here in Scotland but I think I'll give it a try, think I'll give the brains a miss though!!!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2003, 02:07:00 PM »
The grays that we have here taste pretty good.I have activly hunted them in years but plan to soon.I have taken some while deer huntin and they do require a solid shot to put down.I,ve shot 2 with BH,s only to catch flack from my wife about being able to get squirrels but not deer.lolI,m really lookin forward to tryin this thumb screw idea on grays and bunnies.Took 6 bunnies yesterday with the scattergun.It was the first time out for the year now I wanna try my longbow on em.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2003, 02:36:00 PM »
opps.that should say I haven,t activly...

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2003, 04:09:00 PM »
Great Thread!!!  :)   Thanks guys!  

Bowdonkey,
Weighin all them cases makes you one serious techie dude..like Meathook w/ computer stuff!   :D  Now if I could get to the back of my garage where I have tons of them spent cases unused for years, I'd be set!!  You sayin that a 30-30 cut 1 1/4" from rim weighs about 100gr?

Only other problem using .357 is where do I get a handful of #9 shot?  Iain't gonna buy no bag nor a box of shells to get enough to make a few squirrel arras.

BTW, what the heck is a cape buffalo squirrel?   :)  I know..."everybody likes a little ___ nobody likes a smart________"  :D  

Wonder if a fella can find a nut that would fit inside a .357 dia case to hold the wingnut in place that fit a wingnut thread???  That would surely up the weight enough to avoid the li'l #9 shot!  Take some ciperin to get the length right so's the wingnut was flush with the top of the nut once screwed tight in the case so's the flat end of the shaft sat on their copesetic.

So many things to figure out...so little time!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline pav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2003, 04:21:00 PM »
I like to run them over. it will decap and gut them at the same time
>>>>----Paul--------)>

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2003, 05:35:00 PM »
I think them weights should be sent to the "how to" section for future reference.

that was very cool.

I think the nut tied on wingnut shell case has legs too...lots of good ideas here.
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2003, 06:47:00 PM »
Here's some homemade small game broadheads I came up with today after John Nail and I went hunting yesterday and talked about points for squirrels.
I think the picks are fairly self explaining.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p8862f4c1c4281059794973fd24fdcd94/fa3a660c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p64f94f3835a0a035e8cb77371a3b016b/fa3a6609.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p0b4fc506d6a2e074258559e96858d00d/fa3a6606.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p4c3e8c78a7b33d05c79f5899754ce035/fa3a6604.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid94/p9a7274290d1d64e81722e23e92eb0ca6/fa3a65fe.jpg

I  used some blunts I had laying around. Cut a kerf with a hacksaw or bandsaw. The other thing is something we use at work, and you can get them at the hardware. We call them "C" clips but they may go by another name. I clamped them in a vise grip and sharpened them on my 1" sander and then my sharpening wheels. Assemble and put a drop of super glue on the 3 contact points. Make up some spare "C" clips for those you are bound to lose
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©