INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pics of Deer Camps  (Read 2667 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pics of Deer Camps
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2003, 10:33:00 PM »
All I want for Christmas is one of those log cabins on 100 acres in Southern IN.  How hard could it be for Santa to get me that?  I deserve it dammit.

Mickey, if you decide to unload those pieces of junk coleman white gas things you have, I'll give you fair garage sale prices for them.  After all, they are heavily used :-)

Here's   Deer Camp  for me.  Sorry but I can't seem to find the other pics.  It's in Southern Indiana and consists of 300 acres of beautiful land that a local doctor lets me and 6 other guys hunt.  The barn is 40X60 and we run a generator for lights and heat.  We have a small room inside to keep heating costs down.  We use one of the propane heaters.  I was fortunate to see a bobcat and her 3 kittens ther last weekend.  Sitings are very rare in Indiana!  Wish I was there right now.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2003, 11:19:00 PM »
Dang John you shoot that thang in the head?

When I upgrade I'll give ya the old stuff John. After all, you already ruined the stove at Mojam 1 with those green peppers and onions YUK

Man, some of you guys have some awesome hunting camps!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2003, 11:35:00 PM »
Ok, after reviewing all of the hunting camps i am going to have to go with Ron LaClair's! now, now, boys dont the rest of you feel sad. LOL
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2003, 06:44:00 AM »
I don't know Lance. Everytime I see Daner's camp , er cabin, er house, I drool. We'll be at a monthly 3D shoot and after he will say something like "well I have to go to the cabin from here" and the rest of us will just drop our chins.  :(
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2003, 07:04:00 AM »
Hey Tim ever see Woody anymore? How's he coming along with his cabin?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2003, 07:22:00 AM »
Last time I got an email from him was to tell me that he killed a deer with the bow I made for him. I think that was last year. He has posted on one of the other sites but I am not sure if he has been  here. I think he keeps real busy , what with the gambling boat drunks and all. (he;s a detective)
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Roger Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2003, 07:27:00 AM »
Ron posted some good pictures, but they don't do justice to the character of the camp, the guys, and the beautiful country. Shrewhaven is the best hunting experience ever! It truly gets in your blood.....I can't stand NOT being there  :)
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
 www.Tradwoodsman.com  What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2003, 08:55:00 AM »
No Mickey, that's an ATV hauling mark :-)  Beats dragging the darn thing.  Onions and green peppers, mmmmmm.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2003, 11:46:00 AM »
John, I'm assuming you must be getting ready to do some bird hunting, what with the 870 and all. Man you got it made. Deer with a bow in the AM and quail in the PM with a scattergun.  :bigsmyl:

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2003, 12:21:00 PM »
Yea, that's it, I'm goin' bird hunting.,  Yea, that's it - hehehe.  I have a hard time finding those little quail in the scope though.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Neil Reeves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »
I guess since Dan is too modest to do so, I'll throw up a link to more pics of the cabin.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290933983

'Course since he's got a week old son and won't be getting to the cabin for a while, maybe he don't even want to look at pictures of it.  :bigsmyl:  

Neil - jealous of you that got deer AND birds - Reeves
Neil

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2003, 10:46:00 AM »
Not really a "camp" but my wife and I are proud of our cabin. We did almost everything ourselves except for the crawl space, well and drainfield. We spend a lot of time here throughout the year.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2003, 10:56:00 AM »
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2003, 02:37:00 PM »
OK, that's IT!  I'm committin suoupy side and jumpin outa basement window in despair!  That last one ain't no 'cabin' but a fair nice house!  Dang!  Jealousy ain't supposed to be in my kit, but this thread got me feelin a bit whimiscal!

Ron's camp brings back some great memories of my younger days in the highline of Penna. at nice camps like that w/ gun hunters... but alas, I didn't like driving deer all day when I wanted to be sneakin around...   :)

As for the most nostalgia, Nagel's did me in. Reminds me of my time in MT living out there and campin in my own small(er) 10x12 wall tent with 2 chums--mostly up the Sun River area when elk were fair game without a permit draw.  

Drove through the "breaks" once and we counted 2-3 nice size mulley bucks per mile from Zortman north to the Belknap Reservation!  

what gorgeous country!  What an incredible camp, Nagel... yup..I'd go there in a wheel chair just to drink in the scenery...  

Y'all got some things I hope you ran by the list of things to be "Thankful" for on this recent thanksgiving holiday! wow!

As for fillin bottles, well, I know about tippin the bottle (20#) to get it to fill the 1# ones...trouble is that I've been told it's really hard to know when the 1# is full!  I dunno what the repercussions of overfillin one would be... anyone?

I still have some 2 burner colmean white gas stoves... and I meant it to be typed col-mean cause them nasty buggars will bite ya. I have a converter for one of them that goes in the hole where the gas bottle hung that is supposed to allow one to use the regular 1# bottle of propane instead... I've not gotten the nerve to use it as I inherited another nice 2 burner Bernzamatic propane table top stove.

Then there is the big Camp Chef 2 burner, 30,000 btu cook stove I use for the cast iron ultimate dutch oven cookin!   :)

Thanks to Meathook's guidance, I've found one of them smaller pop up campers like his to try out next year!  :)Never be like some of your guys wonderful camps!  Congratulations on having something quite special!  Cudos to all!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2003, 03:43:00 PM »
"That last one ain't no 'cabin' but a fair nice house!"

Doc Nock - it might appear to be more than it is. It is simply a tiny two bedroom frame structure with vinyl siding.   :p  

Believe it or not, by doing it ourselves, we built the thing for around $20,000 - including the 4 acres it sits on. It was a loooooong summer but it was worth it. It was much less costly than some of the bueatiful log cabin type cabins/camps we have seen, but at the time, with a couple kids in college, a wedding and blah, blah, blah (we all got kids) it was far and away the most inexpensive route for us to go. And, having my wife involved from the git go makes her much more enthusiastic about spending time up there at all times of the year.  :thumbsup:  

Chuck

Offline Jim/VA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2003, 10:02:00 PM »
It's kinda cramped inside but I gotta good deal on popsicle sticks...  ;)  

Actually, I'm looking for land on the WV/VA border to build a timberframe camp similiar to this model.   :help:

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2003, 10:26:00 PM »

Offline Jim/VA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2003, 10:51:00 PM »
Thanks meathook. When I pull up the thread on my PC here at work it displays the pic. When I switch to another PC I get the dreaded black box...what gives?

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2003, 11:03:00 PM »
You can't post pictures directly from webshots. The way thier pages are set up it won't let you it forces you to go to their site and view their advertisement.

Why it shows up on your machine I believe is when you accessed it was stored in your cache (temporary) so it "knows" the picture.  When you go to another machine it doesn't.  I imagine if you pulled it up in webshots on that machine you might see it when you refreshed the thread.

BTW my link is not working now. You need a link to your public album.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©