INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pics of Deer Camps  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Pics of Deer Camps
« on: November 30, 2003, 06:23:00 PM »
Before everyone ends the season , how about some picturs of y'alls deer camps ? Always seems to be fun and we get to steal ideas from each other. (if you can't steal from friends, who can you steal from, heh ?)

Here's mine

The old slide in camper was given to me by a friend. Too heavy and too old for him to use, but once on site, it's been a nice thing for me. Behind the camper you will see my shower house. Made from a section of privacy fence , cut into 3 pcs and a floor added. A solar shower does the trick here. Picnic table and deck were made from treated lumber left from tearing down our old porch and the contractor building a new one.Got some foam blocks for shootin' bows and a block for throwing my hawk and knife to entertain myself. Power comes from a 12v marine battery (all lights in the camper are 12v) it also has a gas fridge and stove. We have a good spring about 50 yds from the camper that supplies all my water needs.

Can't wait for the grandson to get big enough to share it with me.Kinda lonely by yourself.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pics of Deer Camps
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 07:04:00 PM »

Not sure if this pic will work or not, but here's mine.  Were in northern Michigan.  I only own 20 acres, but am surrounded by thousands of acres of Federal land.  We have since added a bunkroom off the back.  Its small, but we have lots of fun.  

With the help of friends, we built the main cabin one year.  A couple years later, we added the covered deck, and this year we added the bunkroom.

It's pretty remote, so no power or water.  propane powers the lights and heat.

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 07:32:00 PM »
Here is the link to GEREP's pic   camp
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 07:51:00 PM »
Here is  my deer and turkey camp. Unfortunately I don't have land but I do provide the shelter when we go to friends properties.

This 1976 Apache Ramada hardsided pop up has all the comforts of home.  It is like a home away from home.

Offline Eric

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 08:09:00 PM »
Those are all real nice setups you guys have there. I'm not really a hunter, but are you sayin you leave these up year-round and use them as shelter for when you go to your favorite hunting spots?

Kinda reminds me of the farmhouse at our family's farm. Actually, the farmhouse has no electricity, plumbing, or even the ability to close the door to the porch.   :p    We do, however, have a small 10'x6' house that my dad and I use when we go up there.

Kinda makes me wish I was there right now...   :rolleyes:
Níl gach uile fhánaí caillte.

Offline Texoma Felton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 09:02:00 PM »
Flinttim, How did you come out on camper heater? Those cold wet nights aint any fun.
"IF YOU LIVE ON THE LAKE YOU ARE LUCKEY ENOUGH "

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 09:14:00 PM »
It was FUBAR. I took it out and bought one of those little heaters that run on a 1# bottle of propane (like a Mr Heater just another brand-must be made in the same Taiwan factory cause they are identical) Not supposed to use it while sleeping but that's OK. Have a nice sleeping bag for that.  Little heater does a fine job. Plus when I get too old to climb I can build me a ground blind and take it  in with me.  :thumbsup:
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2003, 09:17:00 PM »
Tim, you can buy an adapter for  a connection from a big LP tank to those little bottles.  Much cheaper to run of the big tank than use those little bottles.

Offline '46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2003, 09:23:00 PM »
Whitetails, muleys and elk, Missourie Breaks.

George
_------------->

Offline Bowfolks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2003, 09:28:00 PM »
George-

Man oh man. Your spot sure is pretty.

Can't wait til the boys are older. We will love to take them out too.

Jesica

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2003, 09:31:00 PM »
Actually Meat I've been thinking of buying one of those thing-ama-bobs that let you fill the 1 pounders from a big tank. Less than the cost of a hose adapter and I still retain the convenience. Anyone have experience with them ?

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2003, 09:35:00 PM »
Tim, I have never tried one but would be real interested in hearing how they work.

Offline Texoma Felton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2003, 09:58:00 PM »
Flinttim, I am glad to hear you have heat. I looked real hard for a stovepipe coming out the top, but didn't see one. Good luck and have fun.
"IF YOU LIVE ON THE LAKE YOU ARE LUCKEY ENOUGH "

Offline bowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2003, 11:49:00 PM »
we routinely refill the little propane bottles from alarger 65 gal tank.  After connecting the hose between the big tank and the little bottle, we use a needle-nose plier to open the vent on the little bottle until liquid propane starts coming out.

It works, not really safe around an open flame. We probably refill 100-125 bottles a season this way.

best of luck
dnichols

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2003, 12:15:00 AM »

We have to hunt on public land. This is the normal group on the week ends and the 2nd photo shows weekdays. I'm glad I'm retired and can hunt all the time.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline '46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2003, 01:50:00 AM »
Jerry, I can't wait 'till I can hunt all season...won't be long. Nice camp.

Jesica, thanks. We have a great setup, usually with 6-12 hunters, four being myself and my boys. Have a hot shower, running water from drums,  good tents, and a cook/dining canopy, BBQ, stove, boiler and cabinets.
  When I'm too old to hunt I'll still go back to that place with my kids. Just being there is an experience, its beautiful (and good hunting). The boys are regulars every year and will carry on the tradition for their lives.
 This ain't  expensive. We've  always done our own thing wherever it is, no outfiters, and it's worked out. A few years you and Tony will will be doin' the same thing, start the tradition...have fun.
George
_------------->

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2003, 06:34:00 AM »
I dont know why my pic didn't work, it was there when I posted it and then it was gone when I came back...must be the evil spirits...lol

Here's a link if anyone is interested in looking.  Also, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong on the pic posting?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/58567226/58568122xuDmCJ  

Thanks,

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 07:32:00 AM »
Sounds good Bowguy. I have a Coleman stove and lantern, a small grill, and the heater, that all run off of the 1# bottles. I just ordered one of the refill deals from Harbor Freight. About the same price as the hose kit they sell for the heater but a lot more convenient. I'll report back when I get it.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2003, 11:16:00 PM »
I’ve been thinking about getting one of dhem refilling thingies my self. Has anyone used them and do they work?

:confused:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 07:20:00 AM »
Tim been thinking about updating my Coleman stuff from the liquid fuel...do the stove and lantern run a good time on one of those little bottles ie: if ya had to do it again would you go with the bottle kind or back to the liquid kind?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©