INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Pics of Deer Camps  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pics of Deer Camps
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 07:38:00 AM »
Hands down Mickey I would use the bottles for family camping.  No fuss no muss no pumping.  White gas spills and it stinks. The only place I still use it is in my backpacking stove.  

Obviously it depends on how long you use them but roughly I get 2-3 nights use from a lantern and the gas stove I go through a tank or two on a weekend trip. I also use the bottles for my little gas grill I take camping.

The little LP tanks are a bit more expensive than white gas but for the safety and convienience I think they are worth it.  The economical way to do it is to buy from Wally World or some other the pole with hoses that allows you to connect your lantern and stove to a bulk tank of gas. I think it is like $32 bucks.  I am going to pick one up for next season along with the refil adapter for the little tanks that Tim mentioned above.

Happy camping.
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 07:56:00 AM »
Ferret,
I have evolved over the last thirty-seven years of camping and gone through the white gas and into the propane age. I own a Coleman white gas stove but have not set it up for a good five years, I'll wager.

I own two two-burner stoves made by American Camper, and have not looked back. One is the primary unit, the other is "backup". (Always have backup!)

For the little bit of cooking I do in camp, coffee and grits or summat in the morning, dinner and hot rum toddies or soo-bok in the evening, plus dish washing, the stove uses maybe 1-1/2 (max) pounds a week. Add guests or elaborate fare and the cost in gas goes up. The stoves are lightweight and take up little space. They have never failed. The box they go in measures 17x9x2". If I were to start over, maybe I would buy the Coleman full-size propane stove, with the wings to fight drafts outside. One with more room for bigger pots or more of them.

Been running the floor heater offa the 20-lb. tank for years. Crapped out this year, and will have to look for another. Also, for the last 8 years or so I have been using a two-burner radiant heater unit on top of a twenty-pounder. I call it "the Pregnant Lady" and for a three-walled log shelter with  tarps over the front, she is perfect. You can run one or two burners at a time, and it has a high and low setting. With four walls she'd run you outta there real quick, looking for a snowbank to roll in! Too big for a tent, though. Too much heat and too much oxygen consumption.

We use both white gas and propane lanterns. The lanterns we have are cheap one-mantle jobbies that screw onto the top of a 1-lb bottle, and are quick to set up and light. They suck as a source of reading light, however, and that's what the white gas lanterns are used for. My buddy brought up his Coleman two-burner propane lantern this year, and the light is awesome. Coupled with the fact that you don't have to pump it up every so often, I think that would be the way to go. It even outshone the white gas lanterns. Makes me wish I didn't own 5 of the puppies, so I could feel better about buying the propane one!

Camp Mantra, "Thank you Mr. Coleman!"

Killdeer~the opinionated~but definitely warm and well-fed.
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 07:59:00 AM »
Thanks Meat. I don't use them that much as a matter of fact my white gas pieces are over 25 years old but still look and function as new, but to tell you the truth I hate messing with the Coleman fuel ..I always manage to spill it, it does stink and I worry about it's volatility. I don't think I'd hook a lantern up to big tank cause that would be hard to carry when you have to walk around camp at night looking for where you laid something 8~)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2003, 08:06:00 AM »
Dang Killdeer sounds like you have back ups for your backups. Having never had a Coleman product fail me I don't think I'll buy any backups ... course I'm the guy that goes out of state hunting without a back up bow or spare string too   :bigsmyl:  

You mentioned several food items there I've never even heard of   :eek:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2003, 08:11:00 AM »
C'mon, I know you've heard of grits!

Soo-bok is a Korean rice wine, drink it hot.  :bigsmyl:  

Killdeer

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 08:14:00 AM »
mickey,

I use propane with all of my camp gear.  I have a large stove for big camp apps that uses a 20#r and will run for 2 weeks easy on it.  We have 4 colman lanterns.  2 of the older 2 mantles and two of the new extra bright singles.  the older ones are pretty easy on bottles but the bright ones go through a couple of bottles a week.

my small camp stove is a beatup colman 2 burner that connie and I bought in 1972.  It doesn't owe me anything after all these years and will probably get replaced this spring.

We also have a Mr. Heater or two for taking the chill off the tent.  

Going to propane in 1972 was the best move I've made in my camp stuff.  

heck Walmart has the bottles on sale now and then for less the $2.  You can also get a refill kit and fill them from a 20# bottle.  I don't have one of them yet.

Mike

Offline Hal Hartness

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2003, 10:31:00 AM »
On the refill bottle thing. Northern Hydraulics (see web page) has the unit for about 12 bucks. Screws in big tank like any grill would. About 3" long. screw in small tank just like you would anything that you attach to small bottle. Turn big bottle upside down, open main valve, let bottle fill (it works better in cold weather) close valve and unscrew little bottle. slick easy. Only problem is the little bottels seem to stack up cause you want let you friends throw them away.

Offline Ron LaClair

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »
My hunting cabin is located on the banks of Arm Strong Creek in Michigans upper peninsula. It was built in 1936 and moved to it's current location on our 400 acres four years ago. The outside is vertical tamerack logs and the inside is tamerack and pine with a hardwood floor. No electricty, gas lights, and gas stove for cooking and a wood stove for heat.

It's truly a paradise with the added bonus of having a high deer population.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2003, 11:58:00 AM »
Sounds Sweet Ron.

Mickey, I go with all the above on gas vs propane. The gas lanterns always scared the hell out of me but what threw me over the edge was a guy at our club bringing an old Coleman white gas stove into our cabin to heat coffee. Darn thing had a bad seal in it and leaked gas out which caught fire and near killed all of us. Yes a propane can do something similar but that's what made me upgrade.I do keep my old gas lantern at camp just in case I need it for deer trailing but that's about it.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Dan Reeves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2003, 05:27:00 PM »
Here's our little piece of paradise; my father, brother and I built it in the summer of '99. Had it weather tight in three months of working weekends.

Some Spec's:
20'x40' w/ half loft
7" x 8" white pine logs (not a kit)
LP lights & fridge, no water or electric.
Sits on a couple acres nearly surrounded by the Hoosier National Forest in Sothern Indiana.

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2003, 05:38:00 PM »
My brother swung into the Harbor Frieght store  and picked up a couple of the fittings to fill the little tanks. I will let you know how they work when I get it from him later this week.

By the way Dan that is a fine looking place.
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »
Ron:  

Sounds like a great camp...any pics?

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2003, 05:47:00 PM »
Dan:

When my cabin grows up, I want it to look like yours.

:bigsmyl:  

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2003, 06:31:00 PM »
Killdeer..I was talking about "summat" and that rice wine thing...

So why do you have to turn the big tank upside down to refill the smaller tanks? When you open the nozzle doesn't it squirt out the valve in the tank?

Offline Dan Reeves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2003, 06:54:00 PM »
Mickey,

Me thinks that you want the liquid to fill the tank, that's why you turn it upside down.
If you don't, the tank only gets the vaporized gas and you won't get much mileage from your refill.

I used to do this all the time to fill the small bottles, my adapter only fits the older 20lb tanks. Now that the "new" ones have been mandated I don't have much use for it.

Online Holm-Made

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2003, 08:32:00 PM »
Hi I just spent the summer (I teach) building my dream cabin.  Two years ago I bought a 100 yr old Finnish dovetailed log cabin for a song and a dance.  I had limited time to move it.  It had to be disassembled which was easy do to with no nails just wooden pegs.  I stored it for a year and reassembled it on 12 acres surrounded by National Forest.  Fun project that I was able to do the majority of work myself.  18' by 26'  Sorry I don't know how to post pictures.  Chad

Offline Ron LaClair

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2003, 08:47:00 PM »
img]http://www.tradgang.com/user_images/shrew-haven-lodge.jpg[/img]

pictures of Shrew Haven
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Ron LaClair

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »
This picture didn;t make it on the first try

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2003, 09:52:00 PM »
No secret, Mickey, "summat" is a southern term for "sumpin'" or "some such".

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2003, 09:53:00 PM »
Ron, nice camp and looks like beautiful country up there in the UP. You guys did pretty well by the looks of the meat pole. Great season....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©