INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Rattle me this....  (Read 1185 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rattle me this....
« on: November 05, 2003, 04:28:00 PM »
OK, you guys that have a lot of rattling experience....I'd like your opinion on the following two questions.

#1) When is the best time to rattle in a gentlemanly sparing type of way?

Week before the rut?

The 10-14 days of the rut?

Or the week after the frenzy?

#2)  When is the best time for a full blown rattling brawl?

Week before the rut?

The 10-14 days of the rut?

Or the week after the frenzy?
I like running 600 grain arrows with 4 Blade heads through animals with 60# + Bows!!!!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rattle me this....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 04:36:00 PM »
Hi, I like to do lite sparing in the early and late season, when the bucks are still in there bacholer groups. All out battles just befor the rut when bucks are doing alot of chasing. But most of all I use a doe call the most, all season long. I think buck respond better to these calls than buck calls and fighting sounds.

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 04:36:00 PM »
#1). Week before

#2). During
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Joe D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 05:18:00 PM »
Terry
I just read an article in QDMA's Quality Whitetails Magazine. Based on extensive research on 2 different WMA's, one in Sinton TX and one in Maryland's Eastern Shore. It seemed that during all phases of the rut that Loud brawling was the way to go. Sessions lasting for 1-3 minutes were best. The article also stated that you should wait for 30 minutes before moving to another area to rattle. It also seemed that the mornings between 7:30-10:30 were most productive. I'm giving you a brief summary as it was a 5 page article. FOr more info on the magazine, which I would highly recommend, go to  www.qdma.com  
  :thumbsup:
Joe D
"Silva Vocat"

Offline joel smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 05:42:00 PM »
T, I do both from pre-rut onward. I'll do light sparring at first (in case he's nearby) then wait fifteen minutes for him to show. i'll raise the volume and tempo a little for a second sequence, wait fifteen minutes then start off light and work up to a knockdown, drag-out fight. I'll usually do that right after good shooting light (the whole forty-five minute process) and again before i quit that stand. In the evening i'll do it once (whole deal) about thirty minutes after i get on stand and again in time to finish up before good light's gone. Those bucks i ratttled when we were in Texas together last year all came to the second series (the moderate). I think a lot of times it's just a matter of whether they hear you or not. i've never had a negative response to rattling (that i saw) but have had bucks to totally ignore it at times, other times charge in but mostly you just look up and see them sneaking in and heading downwind. That's why i don't rattle for long at a stretch unless I've got really good cover---they'll see you moving. I've also had good success at times with visible but out-of-range bucks by just tickling the antlers together (the bags are great for this, in fact last two i did that way were brought by the bag).I hang the bag from a belt loop on the same side as my string hand but behind me so that i can play with it and keep my body betwen the movemnet and the deer
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »
T. Wished I had the answers to this ? But I don't. I just rattle whenever it "feel right"? I know, sounds dumb.

In my state, I don't think there is a "perfect" time. I've brought them in the 1st day of season, and the last!I do know that of the fights I've witnessed,they were short, and very loud! A lot louder than I have ever rattled.

I talked to a guy the other day that told me that he rattled everytime he sat in a tree!  he's got a pretty good track record!
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 09:39:00 PM »
the way I see it is if your gonna rattle ya might as well do it hard enough to warm ya up, cause I get cold setting in them stands.

Offline Sleeps In Trees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 09:59:00 PM »
I'm sure no expert, but have rattled in a few over the years. I don't start using da horns till late pre-rut & use 'em (sparingly after the peak) the remainder of the season. For what it's worth I've had my best luck before the peak of the main rut kicks in. I think that after the gun opener here in KY (when there are suddenly 'battling bucks' in every woodlot) that calling loses much of its effectiveness & may even be counterproductive. I don't think I've ever rattled in a deer after that, & that happens this Saturday...dammit.

BTW, I've been bangin' em all this week w/nary a response (that I'm aware of). It's been terribly hot tho (80s) & it finally started cooling off today. Temps are supposed to continue to dip & I still have a couple days left till the orange army swamps the woods...

From what I read above I've been missing some earlier action & may try 'em sooner next year.

Happy Trails,
VicW.

Online Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 10:52:00 PM »
i'm with Joel Smith on this one.i laughed so hard last year when i rattled a little six point in.i was in a huge bush too were nothing could get a glance of me.rattled and less than thirty seconds the little buck was in my face looking for a fight and still without a clue to where i was.i had no intentions of taking this buck,so alittle fun was in order.he would turn to walk away and i would softly touch the antlers and he would swap ends so fast and come right up to the bush and look what seem like forever and again the same thing would happen.next time around his nose was a couple of feet away from the bush and me snickering.i jumped in the air and gave a little shout and after his back flip,the dust was ah flying.way too funny!!!!    "[tunglaff]"  

Brent

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 09:37:00 AM »
I gotta agree with Joe D. on the census thang. I wouldn't have a clue as to a gentlemanly way of rattling. Actually I probably look like Im covered in flames and rolling around trying to put them out. I will lay down or get in position where I will rattle, kick brush, thrash, flail and generally make as much damn noise as physically posible. If they dont come to the rattling, they come to see if they can administer some aid to the little Texas fella. Thats the way I do it and I do it till it doesn't work anymore.

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 10:47:00 AM »
I spoke with a game biologist last year about this and he brought up another point.  His thoughts were that if the area you are hunting has a high doe to buck ratio your rattling success will drop dramatically as the bucks don't seem to have a need to worry about the other bucks since there are plenty of ladies to go around.  

Joe

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »
After witnessing Curtis' "style" of rattling I can say without a doubt that it's about as realistic as it gets. That's gotta be an immense advantage.

I think of rattling like "chicken soup".... couldn't hurt and can surprise the crap outta ya now and then. I haven't had a whole lot of luck with it here in Mo.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline joel smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 01:31:00 PM »
yeah, Charlie, chicken soup pretty well covers it. I rattle quite a bit and would have to say i get a response about 1 time in 30 tries (factors mentioned above can temporarily skew that considerably but averaging it out that's about right). It doesn't work every or even most of the time but often enough to make it worth doing---I'm convinced i get shots every year that i wouldn't get w/o the horn music
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Online Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 05:49:00 PM »
one of the main things is,not so soft that they can't hear it and be ready for a appearance and a disappearance.usaually there and gone.

Brent

Offline Kevin Lawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 08:04:00 PM »
Never had any response at all when simulating an all out brawl. I've used sparring the whole month of October. Had button bucks and does mosey in to see "who" was sparring and 3 weeks ago I had a buck run in looking for the culprits. Gonna try a session like Joel described tomorrow morning.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 10:23:00 PM »
I too wonder about this.  I think I do it too lightly most times.  I've heard real fights a couple of times and I could hear branches and small trees breaking, antlers clashing harder than I could ever do it and hooves pounding.  Maybe that lay on the ground and thrash around idea has merit???  Of course, with my luck, ol mossyhorns would come running in while I'm on my back looking like I was having a siezure or sumpthin'.  Next time I try it I'll do the moderate first then wait and get really agressive.  Just hope some hunter doesn't come sneaking in and see me at it....

Dave
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2003, 10:38:00 PM »
I quit rattling a few years ago..seems everytime I did it I managed to mash my thumbs and the screaming would scare all the deer away  :(
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2003, 10:42:00 PM »
One thing I have seen in Texas is ya got get after it! ....I mean get worked up let know your there , then get yo big bow ready...better yet get someone else to rattle fur ya! then watch that head and for the deer to relax...ya better had picked a spot BUBBA...LOL...mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2003, 10:10:00 AM »
Boy did Ferrett say a mouth full. I cant seem to rattle with my technique that I dont end up with bloody, bruised fingers and knuckles. It all the "no pain, no gain" technique I suppose. I'd try one of those rattle bags but they are going to have to make them a little bigger. They just dont make enough noise. CK

Offline The Grey Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2003, 12:42:00 PM »
Hi Folks,

Read all your stories with interest. It seems that most of you are in deer stands when you rattle of dense ground growth.  

Has anyone ever rattle out of an Outhouse Blind?
Would any scent enhance the effect?  Which one? How about a decoy (3D target) 12 yds in front of you?

gg     :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©