INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Shooting at 40 yards  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting at 40 yards
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
Lately I have been shooting quite a bit at 40 yards +...actually a measured 43 yards. It seems to be a pretty good lesson. I started out shooting at an orange dot on the face of a 5X5 black backstop. Not only does it point out the weak spots in your form, it sure is fun to watch the arrows fly all that distance. Tonight, I placed a Mckenzie in front of the backstop....it taught me that a good group at 40 yards can still be an ugly gut shot on an animal. I suggest everyone try it. Heck, where else can you be proud of a 6" group!!  :bigsmyl:
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
 www.Tradwoodsman.com  What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting at 40 yards
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
I agree Roger. I constantly practice out to 40 concentrating on small objects. It helps me prepare for chasing Mulies around the Wyoming prarie but it also improves my close range shots.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline J.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »
I love practicing at longer ranges! Granted I pretty much suck it up from that distance, but, like you said, "it sure is fun to watch'em fly that far." Plus I get lucky every once in a while and get a good shot in.
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
We old farts get together in the morning in the summer and shoot our 3-d course at the range,after coffee,of course. We shoot shoots from 15-75 yards. You are right when you said it is fun to watch the flight of the arrow. Amazing how many times we get good shots on the 74 yd buffalo. Course it don't take much to amuse us!!

Chort

Offline denny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
I have a decent 3-d herd down in the woods (6) and I keep two burlap bags strung between trees 40 yards apart, they are my simulated elk and I pound on em every evening with a few shots at the deer in between.

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »
I need to break my compound out to post to this thread.  :D  

:saywhat:
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »
right on love shooting far

Offline Rich Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 02:30:00 AM »
Ive been doing the same thing at 60 yards. it makes 40 seam easy LOL

Offline Roger Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 07:39:00 AM »
We have spent many afternoons in the sandunes in northern Michigan launching arrows at 100 yards or more at a gallon milk jug. My kids call it "playing Braveheart"...
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 07:52:00 AM »
Just lost an arrow last night shooting at 90 meters.  Except for the lost arrow, it was a ball.  You guys should consider joining a Field and Hunter league if you have the chance.  The targets are 7 to 80 yards.  Yardages are marked, but shooting instinctive (or even gap shooting) knowing the exact range isn't that much of an advantage.  Lots of fun and as mentioned above, it sure points out form errors.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »
Ilove to take those 50-60 yd shots when i'm out stumpshooting.It is a humbling thing and we get a lotta laughes trying to sneak arrows between trees only 8" apart.I think I'm responsable for more fallen timber than some lumberjacks out there.
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
I leave a milk jug sittin against a dirt pile 50 yrds away from my driveway just so I got somethin to shoot at when ever I get the itch LOL One of these days I gotta sift that dirt pile   :knothead:
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
At these distances you can realy see if you have good arrow flight.!
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
I love shooting long distances!!,do it every day,but I'm lucky to just hit the target,lol,lol but I'm getting better,try it with bareshafts sometime,it'll really let you know what's going on with your form and arrow flight.......STEVE
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »
Fellas, last Janurary, I went to NM for Mule deer. There were some guys practicing with their compounds out to 100 yards. They shoot deer that far. One fellow could keep an 8" group. They left me in the dust at about 45 yards. I was very impressed.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
It occures to me to ask why we dont shoot at longer distances more often? many folks are hunting at 25 yeards max if that. back in the day an englishman could nail the plate to a french knight or slip and arrow into his armpit at 200 plus yards. what have we lost?

In the SCA we have whats called a Royal round which is basicaly and end of 6 arrows at 20 30 and 40 yards. and some folks can hit the gold regularly at 40 yards with no problem. me I can sometimes hit the target at that range. mostly I miss.

I am sure we could work out to longer ranges accurately and if we far enough away that the deer wont jump our string then cool

I know my 55 lb recurve has the punch with a 550 grain arrow to do the job so why not shoot that far till you can do it first shot?

Offline Roger Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
I can only justify taking a hunting shot at about 25 yards. Beyond that, it isn't a sure thing. I shoot pretty well at 30 yards, but I miss enough not to feel qualified to hunt that far. I'm sure some guys can hunt at 40 yards....BUT....I strongly feel that beyond 25 yards, in a hunting situation, too many things can happen. 1/2 a step by the deer upon your release can turn a kill shot into a gut shot at that range.

The guys shooting at Muley's with a compound at 100 yards? Sorry. They are missing the point. They should stick to the rifle season. At the risk of sounding judgemental, I would call that unethical.

Offline Legolas

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
Shooting over 30 yards just felt wrong. I did not have the instinctive feel and it was a hail Mary. Then I thought  " why not aim at a spot that was say as many inches above the target as my arrows were hitting low when I aimed like it was 20 yards?  I mean really aim the same dang way as when I hold on a 20 yard shot.  Forget about the spot you want to hit and just burn a hole at the new spot.

This was a mental break through for me.

I was worried about the gap and felt so out of place shooting gap but not any good at it.

What do you think?

Leg
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline StanM

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
We have spent many afternoons in the sandunes in northern Michigan launching arrows at 100 yards or more at a gallon milk jug. My kids call it "playing Braveheart"...
That's funny Roger, we do the same thing in my archery class and the students also call it "playing Braveheart".  We shoot at gunny sacks stuffed with plastic, though.  I find it amazing how accurate you can get shooting at something that is roughly 3' x 4' at distances around 100 yards.

Stan

Offline Roger Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 07:11:00 PM »
Stan - the accuracy is amazing isn't it? No way would I stand 100 yards downrange of my kids!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©