INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Women's Shooting Form  (Read 1946 times)

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Women's Shooting Form
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
Here are the movies as promised. They are Quicktime. It is probably best if you download to your computer first. I'm afraid I don't have any software to compress or edit them to make them smaller files.

Wow, I didn't know I had so many funny facial ticks!     :o  

The "form3" video (camera sitting on the target) shows my signature bad habit: letting my bow arm drift/drop, and then trying to "throw" the arrow back up at the last minute. It is easy to see if you slow it down or go frame by frame. I also see that I'm inching forward if I hold it too long, losing power that way. What's kind of neat is you can see the arrow paradox as well.  

Yea! I avoided the ultimate tamurism of shooting my camera.   :D  

Enjoy.

Form Movie 1
 Form Movie 2
 Form Movie 3
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline QuailTreker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
Killdeer, you are too funny! Thanks for the reading suggestions. I have a little recurve, don't know about the grip. (The shop's closed now or I'd call and ask them.)I am already quite familiar however with all four of your teaching points!Tamure, I'm not having luck opening your movies, so far, and that's really frustrating. Very much want to see them...and so glad you didn't shoot your camera! You girls are hilarious!
Thanks, Whittler. I'm going to check the sight you  mentioned, too. This sure beats watching the tv!

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 11:33:00 PM »
What problem are you having with the movies?

The grip on a recurve will usually help move your wrist away from the string by making it straighter. Look at the lower picture of my mom: see how straight and fairly normal her bow arm wrist looks? Compare that to the top pic of me. My pic is a "low wrist" grip. The bottom part of my hand is much lower to make contact with the bow, thus pulling my wrist / forearm in nearer the path of the string.

You have to have a sense of humor in archery. If you don't it will drive you crazy. Or, maybe you have to be crazy in the first place. I'm not sure which.  ;)

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »
try saving the file then reopening it. tamure,on that 3rd clip where you shoot at the camera it looks like you have a closed stance. am i seeing things or do you? i shoot with a closed stance at times and feel very natural with it. by the way, stop criticizing yourself,lol! that's our job.aloha,,, kawika
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline QuailTreker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 12:02:00 AM »
My pc told me it doesn't have the stuff to run a Quicktime movie. Drag! I saved them and I'm emailing them to my workplace and my son so hopefully can open them one place or another tomorrow. Great that you made them, Tamure, and others are enjoying them, also. My grip arm looks like your mom's. Seems natural to roll the elbow for me and makes my hold on the bow more secure. I'm more often having that problem Kildeer eluded to. I'm trying different things.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 12:36:00 AM »
You can download the quicktime player here:
 http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

You should be able to play the movies after you install it.

kawika: Yes, I have a pretty closed stance. My right leg is actually further back than my left. I've tried "opening it up" my turning in, but it feels funky to me. I feel like I pull more with my shoulders (instead of arms) with a closed stance.

Haha, I was trying to usurp the criticism, but you saw through my plan! Drats!  ;)

Naw, I'm open to any criticisms. Boy, it sure it's odd to see yourself on video. Things look a lot different than you think they do!

QT: If you're not having the elbow issue, that's wonderful, since that does seem like a common problem. As for the other... err.. interference, an open stance, as mentioned may help. That is, turning your body slightly more toward the target, so your shoulders are not quite perpendicular. There are also (br)(ch)est protectors that you can buy that help keep things out of the way and protected. I've actually known a few guys who used them as well.

As I'm sure you're well aware, there is no one way to shoot. The "right" way is the way that works best for your personal biomechanics.

Happy shooting, welcome to the only sport that's more frustrating than golf but also more fun than... well.  ;)

Offline Killdeer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 05:52:00 AM »
I loved watching all the videos.
Isn't it inspiring to watch the long slow arc of the Olympic shooters' arrows?
Elsewhere on this site are other videos, both of members and of archery legends of the past. Check out this wonderful resource here at Trad Gang!

Traditional  Archery Videos  

Killdeer  
 :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »
Killy....you got country girl locked in the closet?

Kerry......mind if we add your clips to the Member Videos forum?
I like running 600 grain arrows with 4 Blade heads through animals with 60# + Bows!!!!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
Not at all, Terry.  :)

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »
Terry, I have Dina locked in at work and when she gets home I will have her read and post to this thread or I won't let her use the riding mower,Tom
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »
Hey...I heard ya'll were looking for me!  

I don't have any videos of me shooting...not sure I want to make any either...I can shoot fair to middlin...some times great and some times not so great.  I shoot best while hunting!!!   ;)   I like a heavy bow weight...(I LIKE to feel a lil resistance when I draw a bow)if I have not been practicing like I should I sometimes shoot with a high elbow.  I shoot best when my elbow is not high.  I could not open Tamure's video but from her pics she looks great...I wish my elbow was always where hers it.  I also shoot instictive...look at the target...pic a spot and release.  I don't gap shoot...tried...could not figure it out.  I have an open stance with my left foot pointing at what I wanna hit.  I do wear an arm guard...but not a chest protector.  If anyone was gonna need one it should be me...but I don't...go figure.  I have seen women wear them though.  I have been shooting for about 6 years.

I have a LOT of bows...I love my Morrisons...I love my self bows....but right now...my fav-o-rite bow is Black Widow PTFV recurve...it is SWEET!

BTW...I can draw my bows fine with my elbow down...it is when I get lazy or sloppy that it goes up.

Quailtreker...avoid the "debutante" stance...my husband broke me from doing it a long time ago.

My husband is a great coach...very honest!!!  
Even though I have a great coach...I would love to go to the Fred Asbell shooting clinic...maybe one year I will.

Thanks for missing me Terry!  This is my crazy time at work and I am not on line much this time of year.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline QuailTreker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
Hey Tamure, finally got to see your movies. Impressive! Thanks for going to the trouble...from all of us. Have you always shot the long bow? Ever the recurve? Who made your bow?
Countrygirl, thanks for the nice greeting, the bio and the shooting philosophy. I have no idea what a 'debutante stance' is but believe me, I am no debutante! There is more good personal info and reference material here than I can absorb in 6 months. All I need now is lots of time to shoot and study! Thanks everyone!

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »
I have shot recurves too, but I just like longbows better. The grip on most recurves is uncomfortable for me, too high. There is a picture around here somewhere of a quail I shot with a ChekMate Raven recurve. When I was little I shot a fibreglass recurve, then I shot compounds for a while, and now I'm on to longbows.   :)  
That bow is a Pronghorn, made by Herb Meland of Casper, Wyoming.  http://www.pronghornbows.com

I believe the "debutante stance" is like what my mom is doing in those pics: hip out, leaning sort of away from the target, standing straight up. Correct me if I'm wrong, Countrygirl.

There is indeed an incredible wealth of information here. Last summer I started to compile a bunch of it together to make a reference CD for myself. I gave up after a while, because it was simply too much! And I wasn't even including any of the stuff on making bows...

Offline Tom Mussatto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
For those who cannot view QT video the clips have been combined into one and converted to Windows format. The video is also now available on the Members Video Forum.

Good stuff Kerry, thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:  

Kerry\\'s Shooting Form
Tom Mussatto

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2006, 02:32:00 AM »
that last bit where kerry shoots "at" the camera is too cool.now i know how my deadstop feels,lol.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Numitokayo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »
Hey, the wife says I shoot like a " Girly Man"...LOL  There must be a message in there...LOL

She still whoops me silly...   :)    :)

Daniel
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave of the North

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »
You're pretty big and scary for a "girly-man", Dan!  :D  

Seriously, Lady Marian should post a couple of photos to this thread; her form is great, and you can't argue with her results.  ;)  

Dave
"There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast."

Charles Dickens

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »
Okay...I'm late on this one and haven't read all of the posts, but I suspect there has been a mountain of good and useable advise already provided.  
QuailTreker, if you have not already found a female archer to act as your "tour guide", I'd be happy to offer my assistance.  I don't currently have a video, but could probably put one together for you within a few weeks.  As some others have no doubt mentioned, however, gender as well as individual body shape, grip preferences, etc. can all act upon a person's develpment of stance, bow arm extension/flexion, bending at the waist, etc.  
Two shooting characteristics that are the same for all of us are that the bow arm must point solidly on the target, and the follow through of the string hand must be straight back in the opposing direction from the target.  This relationship creates the alignment that directs the arrow.
From my point of view, the hunting archer has a good bit of latitude to develop a particular personal style as it relates to shooting the bow and arrow.  However, the non-negotiables (in my opinion) are rock solid bow arm and rock solid follow through.
Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance.  I'd be more than happy to help in any way that I can!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline QuailTreker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »
Thanks much, Claudia. I think it would be wonderful if all the more experienced shooters put together their form videos to share. I have several on my desktop now, including Kerry's, Rod Jenkin's and that young woman that took the gold in '04. I can look at one or a couple quickly before heading to the backyard to shoot. I've made a little one of myself that painfully illustrates how far I have to go. But I'm certain that seeing it done right repeatedly is a great teacher....at least for me...and I'll improve faster than would have otherwise.
Shot my first 3-D funshoot today. Did't even carry a scorecard because it was non-competitive, met the nicest folks. They didn't mind me moving closer than the stakes, helped me look for my arrows, cheered me on mightily when I made a good hit. Most of them were shooting compounds, and the women and girls were commenting on how strong they thought I must be to "hold the draw so long", (it really wasn't that long), and how difficult to shoot a traditional bow. Have to admit to some prideful feelings from that! I got a lot better by the end of the day. What fun!!
Thanks again for the input. I'll read your postings for more!
Shanna

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »
Well,
Kerry showed her form today,at our Bowhunter bonanza shoot today.She was on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!
She won't tell yall about it herself,so i will.She shot the highest longbow score of the shoot.Her score was higher than the winning mens score,and i know,cause i was callin em.She earned every point,and some of the distances were,right at the almost too far range.Didn't slow her down any.I was downright impressed.Congrats.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©