INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: concentration help  (Read 1301 times)

Offline brmize

• Trad Bowhunter
concentration help
« on: February 17, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
Does anyone have any exercises for improving concentration? I am having a devil of a time concetrating on a spot I have resorted to anchoring and then aiming with some success but I just don't feel that burn a hole in the target concentration that I feel I should and my shooting suffers. Also just curious, at 6 yards I can shoot a fist size group however when I practice shooting bent over torso parallel to the ground at 6 yards they all go in the same hole. What might I be doing bent over that I am not doing standing up?  
Thanks,
Brian
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness."  Richard Nelson

Offline Jim/LI

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: concentration help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 06:59:00 PM »
I can't help with your form issue, except to say that for me an upright position is most stable.  I don't think you will see any skilled target archers hunched over or leaning in towards the target.  I am learning a few things about concentration due to some coaching from a friend.  His most valuable advice is to make every shot the best you can.  I love to shoot, but I have learned to stop flinging a lot of arrows and to take my time shooting a few arrows well.  On the days I just can't concentrate, I move up close to the target and practice my form.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »
This may sound stupid but its what I do..I take a small piece of red paper plate about the size of a 50 cent piece..Go back 20 yards and that red stands out,after a while when you draw and shoot all you`ll see is that small red spot..

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »
Only thing I can think that MIGHT cause you to shoot better bent over 90 degrees is  that you might be cross dominant in your vision.  Bending over real far puts the other eye over the shaft but then again, bending over all the way would take it past that point if your anchor is the same.  

Maybe you're part flounder?  :bigsmyl:
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 09:49:00 PM »
When ever my shooting starts to slip I find this little exercise works for me.I just picture my Ex's eyes on the target and I find I can place an arrow in between them every time.
              Harl
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »
Dang gummit Dave!!!I got to go to bed,I just spit Copenhagen all over my monitor!!!!  "[tunglaff]"    "[tunglaff]"
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Glasspoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 12:46:00 AM »
Something I do is pick a spot on the wall, blank wall, no spots. Then  relax and stare at it. You'll feel a rush through your body and snap aware of your surroundings after a few seconds. The most important thing is to relax, don't force it. With practice you can look at the spot for several minutes unaware of what's going on around you.

Go ahead and laugh now, then try it.  When you shoot it'll work the same and you can forget that you drew the bow until you see the arrow in the target.

Of course the mental game's the hardest for me. When it works it's great, when it doesn't I shoot close for form, same as Jim/LI.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »
Like others I like to pick a small spot and focus on it. I will then pick a number from 1-10 to count too after coming to fulldraw and focusing on the spot the hole time I count in my head to the # I have chosen. When I reach the # I have choosen I let her rip. Some times I just draw and hold for X amount of time and let down, fighting the urge to shoot and staying focused. This has realy helped me from shooting to fast and slowing down and focusing on the shot and spot I whant to hit. The exercise helps train the brain that the  eye dose not trigger the shot and staying focused untill you are ready to shoot. Hope this make some kind of sence and helps.

I do this everytime before I practice, helps get everything in a grove and helps calm the mind.......Raven  :wavey:    :thumbsup:

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »
nice,,Tom    :)    "[tunglaff]"    ;)    Chort

Offline brmize

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »
Thanks alot guys great suggestions. I can't wait to try them. I already tried the counting thing with some success today.
Thanks again,
Brian
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness."  Richard Nelson

Offline LocDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 11:46:00 AM »
Try The Tenzone Homepage. They have some good concentration and focus exercises.
It's  www.tenzone.u-net.com/  I believe. Do a search engine if that's not it. One thing that greatly improved my shooting was the book by Jay Kidwell, Instinctive Archery Insights. Hate to brag, but since applying his methods one of my practise routines is to shoot at a tennis ball. At 60 yards.
'Aim small. Miss small.'

Offline lcoast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »
Tom, ya it feels good when it happens.  :)  And actually it was you that got me shooting groups. But shooting the dots spread out is safer. If I am in the same area on 3 dots than the group is good in my mind.

=keith=
=keith=

Busted chairs and broken dreams.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »
Well, guys...that was incredible...cept that flounder part...that was hilarious!   :p  

What wasn't answered was the question about shooting better bent over more.

If you bend over, a very good shooter showed me it's way hard to reach full draw at your normal draw length.

If that is true (it was for me) then you're letting a bit more arrow stick out which is changing the spine...(think of it this way..if you're shooting a 28" arrow and drawing 26.5" bent way over, you've added 1.5" beyond your draw, similar to drawing 28" with a 29.5" arrow)

Could it be that at only 6 yards, you'd be showing poor spine and tuning for your bow-arrow combo???

You got your normal geometry all messed up hunched over... my "tutor" also showed that you can't shoot much beyond 15 yards well in that position cause you can't torque  your body easily to elevate for a longer shot... fwiw.

Re: "pick a spot".  I can no longer begin to "burn a spot" on anything clearly at 20 yards given aging eyesight.  I can "concentrate" but there ain't none of this "burning a hole" stuff.

Red dots size of half dollars?  Who you kiddin..  :eek:  they'd be fuzzy blurs at 20 yards... I've come to accept that I'm doing "tunnel vision" on a specific area like behind the leg in the armpit, but no single hair like ya read about.

Anyone else in the over 50 crowd so compromised?

Thanks
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »
Follow this link and focus on the dark spot in the center of the cicles untill they stop rotating.

http://www.mistupid.com/psych/optill2.htm

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »
fIRST i WANT TO GIVE A PLUG...for great target they are the best for traditional shooters...PACIFIC BOW BUTTS...TARGETS they last and last ...I cut 2 large outdoor black garbage bags wrap arounfd my target in the center I peel a very ,very small white round dot maybe 1/2 dia. or less ....I back up with 3 arrows ..20 30 and 45 yds....you will be surprised how close if not right on the dot , when it all comes together ..concentration , and focus..ur brain takes over and your there ...mark#78   :thumbsup:  my target is 3 years old ....just get it off the ground I shoot lots of arrows too 70 - 100 most days...
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline LocDoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
I'd say you shoot better bent over because it "really gets you into the shot" Sort of like a combat crouch law enforcement use. Also, you are more than likely tilting your head forward over the arrow more. Everything is now 'in line' pointing at your target. The bending over, or crouching also hones your focus.
'Aim small. Miss small.'

Offline lcoast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »
LocDoc, how often do ya hit the tennis ball?

=keith=
=keith=

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2004, 08:39:00 PM »
crouch ....I dont know any law guys that shoot in a crouch position..lol....more of boxer stance ...you been watching to much TV...lol...I say what ever you have to do , that bags ur game...go for it...even ur crouch...lol...just kidding man.....mark#78  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »
Here are a couple of ideas that really help me....
I place a small piece of aluminum foil, about the size of a nickle, on some bails. I place a candle behind another bail that is in front of the target bails. Try to do this in as dark a place as you can. If you are set up properly, all you will see is the candlelight reflecting off the aluminum foil. (candle is in a jar by the way  ;) ). Another thing that I have done is to put some reflective tape on an old soccer ball and kick it around the yard and shoot at it with rubber blunts. I've got a couple of dusk to dawn lights that the reflective tape picks up. On the foil and bail thing, you might not hit the foil every time, but you will be amazed at how tight your groups are. Flatstick used to do the foil thing alot when he was competing in and winning the Nationals as a teenager. Mike
Black Widow PLIII  62", 49#@28"
Black Widow TFII 60", 45#@28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Offline lcoast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2004, 10:12:00 PM »
Mike those are good ideas.

=keith=
=keith=