INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Switchin' from Recurve to Longbow...suggestions..  (Read 753 times)

Offline LeftyNorCal

• Trad Bowhunter
Switchin' from Recurve to Longbow...suggestions..
« on: May 08, 2003, 11:31:00 AM »
I can't help myself. I've been overcome by the simplistic lines of a strung longbow. I'm getting ready to make the transition from recurve to Longbow but havn't shot one in so long I'm curious if anyone who has recently made the transition (or shoots both ways) has any suggestions? I've shot mostly heavy riser recurves in the 50-60# range.  I appreciate any input.

Cheers.

Online Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switchin' from Recurve to Longbow...suggestions..
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »
I'm right behind ya, Brother... watchin what advice you get.

I love my recurve adn shoot pretty ok... but I am going nuts with string noise on a recurve so I am having OL build me a lighter weight longbow in his ACS design as a gift to my arthritic shoulders.

I cheated. He said he can make me a recurve style grip and add some mass to the riser in the process so I'm "hoping' the transition is easier than not.

guys used to say you have to "grab" a longbow riser where you lightly hold a recurve... now I run into several very good selfbow/longbow shooters who claim they do the light grip on long/self bows too!  Arrgggg!   :)  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »
Guys - I am by no stretch of the imagination an authority on longbows but; Just one week ago I received my first, a 62" Chek-mate Crusader. I too have loved the lines of the recurves and the comfy curvy grips but trying to silence them is a challenge.

Shooting the Crusader has been a lot of fun. It feels different...more alive in the hand. And then there's that wonderful noise it makes...a near silent 'whump'.  Its 56# performance is right up there with the recurve of the same poundage that it replaced and more than enough to keep me interested for a long while.

I bought the bow without shooting any, or even seeing it. I have no regrets.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 12:01:00 PM »
...oops, double clutched again.  "[dead]"

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 12:05:00 PM »
I went from recurves to a reverse handle Fox longbow, then transitioned to a Chek-Mate Crusader and I'm now shooting a Black Thunder longbow.  I love the Black Thunder.  It shoots sweet, shoots quiet, shoots where I'm looking and has no shock at all.  The only change I would make to my bow, if I ordered a new one, would be to have carbon added to the limbs for a bit better performance.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline JK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »
I don't know anybody who says "grab" the longbow, most use the suitcase handle analogy. You just grip it, no stress, as if the suitcase wasn't very heavy.

Longbows do want to be held rather than just hung there the way you might with a recurve or wheelbow.

Most longbow grips seem to like the lower butt meat (whatever that's called) of your hand to rest against the low end of the grip, not the fold between the two butts.

The transition's easy. Just do it.
Close cover before striking.
-----------------------------

Offline Pete Darby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 03:08:00 PM »
I shoot longbow almost exclusively.  I have found the same thing that JK says about the grip.  If I have the weight of the longbow against the top of my hand as I do in a recurve I will shoot low and right (left handed) automatically.  If I put the weight of the drawn longbow into the bottom part of my hand the arrow goes straight where I am looking (given everything else is good  ;)  )  Nor do I squeeze the longbow. I hold it tight enough to keep it from leaping out of my hand, but squeezing puts to much potential torque on it for me to be consistant.
Pete Darby

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 03:12:00 PM »
True , would love to see a pic of that longbow..Mark
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 03:33:00 PM »
Reurve's are good but a longbow makes  you   :cool:   look better
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline CT Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 03:47:00 PM »
Alot has to do with the style of the grip. I personally can't shoot a straight grip. The shallow locators are also not my favorite. I'm best with a semi-pistol/deep locator medium grip. Mostly because of getting a consistent hand placement. I like the others mentioned above like a medium wrist grip.I went thru several longbows (12) before I found ones that I really liked and shot well. The common feature was the grip. Shoot as many different ones as you can. Until you find the style that fits you best, shooting can get frustrating. My favorite is the Selway Lil Magnum. The grip fits me like a glove and its the same every time I pick up the bow. I don't have to always search for that right spot.A Chek Mate Crusader is my second choice.Good luck and don't worry about that longbow virus, it has no cure but you can relieve the symptoms by buying more bows  :D    :D

Offline juneaulongbow

• Associate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2003, 04:30:00 PM »
I just made the switch back in November.  My Robertson longbow outperforms my "Generic Recurve" tremendously.  I bumped up on # and arrow spine and now it's shooting great.  Even though it's not centershot I've had no problems adjusting.

What I really appreciate besides the simple beauty, is how light it is.

Chris

Offline Glasspoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2003, 04:33:00 PM »
Long bows love a low wrist, at least the ones I've shot. Pete and JK say what I've seen, too. Just enough pressure on the grip to keep it from jumping out of your hand.

BTW the funniest thing I've seen with a bow was my friend, a dyed in the wool compound/gadget shooter, shooting my bow. It jumped out of his hand and flew half way across the yard  :knothead:  . My bow seems to be missing the wrist strap  :D  .
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2003, 07:00:00 PM »
Heavy r/d longbows have low-to-no handshock and increased arrow speed over straight or reflex longbows.  Grips are all about personal preference, with yer hand size playing a goodly role - pick out one that just seems most "natural"; usually a locator grip is helpful.  Getting the arrow plate cut close to center allows a better range of arrow spines.  Look for with a bit longer limbs and overall bow length, but ya don't hafta get a long beanpole, either.  Best of all, longbows don't have that dang recurve limb slap.     :thumbsup:
IAM  ~  Black Powder Gang  ~  TANJ  ~  NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Online Roger Norris

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2003, 07:30:00 PM »
The best advice I got when switching came from none other than G. Fred Asbell. He said when taking up the longbow, shoot it exclusively for a year before shooting your recurve again. I did this religously, and my shooting improved in that year more than any other time. I have absolutely nothing against recurves and those who choose them, but I firmly believe, for me, the long bow is the best choice.

For your first one, check out some grip styles that seem to fit you, and I suggest a deep locater grip to start.

I also think correct arrow spine is key to good longbow shooting vs. recurve shooting, because your long bow most likely won't be center shot at all.
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
 www.Tradwoodsman.com  What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Offline JK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2003, 11:34:00 PM »
Don't worry about center/non-center. Makes no significant difference. You want the right spine either way, and that'll take some trial and error unless you're a lazy guy and buy carbon shafts. You don't need spine tolerance, intolerance is just fine. If you're into longbows you'll figure out how to get consistency of shafts. They go together. You know, "bows AND arrows."

Theories about grip design are fun but mostly bogus, just so long as the grip feels comfortable (and maybe even that's not important).

Your hand will learn grip position perfectly and quickly, no matter what. Think guitars: do they need bumps and humps in their necks to help the picker know where to put his hand? Of course not. He jest sorta feels his way in microseconds. Our hands are pretty smart. I like mild locator grips, but my favorite is the straight, smallish grip on my Great Northern.
Close cover before striking.
-----------------------------

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
Lefty , im sure ther has been alot good info here, but the way I see it plain and simple is the longbow is more forgiving in the release, you can have a sloppy release and get away with more . Once your bow is tune and you have good matched arrows , all ya need is srtong bow arm, good solid anchor point and good follow through. then practice ,practice ,...heck learn to shoot a longbow,recurve and selfbow , heck Im tri-bowman>>LOL..mark

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2003, 11:51:00 PM »
Mark - as requested, a few shots of the Crusader. I didn't do it justice though. Will try and get them out in the sunlight soon.

http://community.webshots.com/user/true_position

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2003, 12:07:00 AM »
Hey True , thanks buddy , looks like a nice one.I enjoy youpost too ...good times my friend.#78 Mark

Offline LP Kelley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2003, 12:31:00 AM »
It has been my experience when shooting the longbow, keeping my bow arm slightly flexed at the elbow and IF the grip fits my hand properly I can squeeze the cr-p out of it and I will not torque the bow. Thankyou -LP

Offline twangstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2003, 06:11:00 AM »
I agree and could care less about the arrow plate being cut to close to, or on center, since I aim the arrow (the way it was always done when folks shot off their hands and there was no shelf notch).  However, this (near centershot) can be a significant aid to a longbow newbie as it will lessen the learning curve (pun intended).

Whence coming from the world of the deep dish recurve grip, it probably will be mo' bettah to at least have a locater grip on yer longbow as opposed to a dead straight "Hill style" grip.  Why make the transition harder than it hasta be?
"Strings are good things for bows and guitars!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©