INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: How About the Funniest Shot?  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
How About the Funniest Shot?
« on: March 25, 2003, 10:55:00 PM »
Good shots?  Bad shots?  We all make them.  How about some stories of your funniest shot?  Two shots stand out in my mind.

The first was when I was still a  pre-teen.  My brother, Don, and I were hunting (for anything we could get a shot at), when we saw a skunk scurring away.  It went into a large jumble of logs.

Using all his formidable stalking skills, Don sneaked up to the log heap and climbed onto a log for a better view.  The log, though moderately big in diameter, wasn't all that long, and to Don's alarm, at almost the same instant, the skunk crawled up onto the other end of it!   :scared:  

I was several yards away, off to the side, but I instantly saw the skunk facing directly away from me.  Being the frugal person I was, I didn't want to put a 'good' arrow into a skunk, so I took a broked, '25 cent', wood arrow out of my quiver.  It had no point on it!  I had just sharpened the broken shaft in a pencil sharpener!

At the sight of me drawing the VERY SHORT, broken arrow with no point, Don turned a decidedly pale yellow-green in color.    :scared:    :scared:    :scared:  and motioned a frantic, "Don't do it!".

Being the typically unconcerned younger brother, I promptly ignored this frantic plea for mercey.  As I released the arrow on its decidedly unstable way, Don almost fainted.  Ah, but the gods smiled that day!  The arrow hit the skunk right in the back of the head, penetrating about an inch or so, and the skunk collapsed instantly, without delivering any 'parting defiant gesture'.

The look of terror, then relief, followed by, shall I just say 'aggitation', on Don's face said it all and, after I recovered from a sound verbal thrashing (an a firm smack or two on some selected, well padded portions, of my anatomy),   :smileystooges:  we both sat down and laughted until the tears flowed.   :D  

The second shot occurred when bear hunting from a blind over a bait in Minnesota.  It was the first day of season, and I knew that at least seven different bears were visiting that particular bait site, one of which was sizable.  The bears were consuming enormous quantities of food daily, and re-supplying had become a real task, as the site was fairly remote.   :(  

The first bear to come in was a large sow with a cub.  She smashed the log cover off the bait pit and proceeded to gorge herself.  I waited patiently for her to leave, but she just stayed ... and stayed ... and stayed - eating enormous amounts of food the whole time.

Finally, I could stand it no more.  I took a HTM rubber blunt from the quiver and waited.  When she turned that huge rump towards me again, to stick her snout back into the bait pit for yet more food, I let fly.  It was a perfect rump shot, and hit with a resounding "Whack"!  The sow whipped around and instantly back-handed the cub, sending it rolling.  I'll never forget the look on that cub's face.  It said as clearly as any words, "But ... Mom ... I'm not the one ..."

Oh, yes, the sow finally left ... when I broke out in uncontrolled laughter.   :D  

A couple of days later I did get the big boar from that bait - but I never saw that sow and her cub again!

Ed

Offline runswithskunks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How About the Funniest Shot?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 11:27:00 PM »
:D    LOL!   There ain't a smiley icon big enough to show how funny those were!  LOL!    :D  

rws

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 11:27:00 PM »
Well that would have to be, when I was practicing my form in the walk-in closet, like I've done a million times, concentrate on a spot, hit full draw , everything was great till the release!! Went thru the double glass window, across the top of my black and tan hound , and stuck in a stump ten yards behind him. The boss got kinda mad, but my five year old boy says dad you know your not supposed to be shooting in the house. But I did have a perfect release !!! Mike  :knothead:
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 11:33:00 PM »
Those are both good ones Doc!  :D  

My funniest shot would also involve a black bear.  

It started out as all of my bear hunts have so far, while hunting elk.   :cool:   A buddy and I were walking up a trail to a high ridge when we spotted a blonde phase bear eating acorns in an oak brush.

We flipped for the stalk and I won, so he stayed on the trail with the camera while I circled around to get the wind just right.

There were blowdowns everywhere and dead leaves jumped under my boot every time I put it down in a clear spot.  I tried to keep a tree or two between myself and the bear but it seemed like every other step I would be busted out in the open as his head would jerk up when I took a step.

I finally got to what I thought was twenty yards and took the shot.  The arrow gave a solid whack as it hit the wrist sized branch the bear was laying on!

My face looked something like this:  :eek:  , and the bear was looking around something like this:  :confused:  

I frantically nocked another arrow and put it right in the sweet spot.  The bear bailed out of the tree and disappeared.  

I turned around to see if my "Pal" had caught all of that, and he was laying in the midddle of the trail holding his belly and laughing hysterically.  

When I finally went to look for blood my friend climbed in the tree and cut the branch, with my broadhead and a good chunk of blonde belly hair stuck in it down and put it in his pack.

That year for Christmas I got a present from Paul, you know what was in the package!  :D
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 11:39:00 PM »
I was helping my nephew track up a small buck,that he'd made a less than perfect shot on.After many stalks,and misses,he was down to his last arrow.The deer rose,and he let her fly!  "[dntthnk]"  The arrow hit about 10 feet low,skipped of a limestone rock,and went right through both lungs!He turned to me with this look of astonishment.  :confused:  

I says, "Nice shot Rob" Cracked us up!  :D    :D
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline Russ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2003, 02:51:00 AM »
These threads are fun!   :D   Perhaps my funniest shot was when I was a kid. I was shooting my mom's selfwood longbow as I couldn't pull my dad's. We had a huge hornet nest on the side of the house that my parents enjoyed watching for whatever reasons. My dad gave me a stern lecture that I was not to try to go near it or shoot an arrow at it.   :scared:   I eventually outran them and wound up at my best friend's house a few miles away where his mom took pity on my stupidity   :(   and iced the stings.

Much later, I called my parents who were now at home enjoying a backyard barbeque and wondering where I was and why an arrow was stuck in the hornet nest. I warned them about the killer hornets but my mom said she was enjoying watching them come and go from the nest, despite the arrow, and everyone was just fine.   :rolleyes:   I was occassionally stung by a hornet throughout the entire summer, as if I needed the reminder.   :eek:     No one else was ever stung. My dad gave me another lecture but it was shorter than the first one; guess he figured out he was talking to a brick wall, LOL.   :knothead:   Now I take small critters very seriously. I sure hope my kid never does anything like that, LOL. Not sure I could keep a straight face!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 08:02:00 AM »
My best buddy and I were out hunting cottentails one warmish September day. (it was legal in September then) I was coming along a side hill full of corralberry and honey locust when I spotted a rabbit sitting, about 10 yards in front of me.
It was holding pretty tight and I knew I could kill it easilly, but my partner had never killed a rabbit (we were both nineteen at the time), so I motioned to him.
He was only about 15 yards from me and spotted the bunny pretty quickly. I made it known that I wanted him to shoot and motioned for him to move in a little for a sure shot.
His first shot, deliberate and steady hit just below the rabbit. Due to the angle of the hill the arrow stuck solidly.
The rabbit didn't budge, but sat there secure in his camoflage. A second arrow was on the way and stuck just above the rabbit.
So it went for a total of six shots which hit at all points of the compass within inches of the rabbit.
Russ was out of arrows and we decided to just jump the rabbit and let him run. When we did that he literally had to knock arrows out of the way to get going.
We both laughed loud and smiled over that one.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Russ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2003, 10:46:00 AM »
Let me be the first to point out that I'm not the Russ that Charlie is referring to! LOL. It sounds like me, but it isn't!  :smileystooges:

Offline Bill Leslie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2003, 10:58:00 AM »
I was out hunting the second rut,( Dec. ). I was on the ground leanin' against a big red cedar tree about 15 yds. off a field. I was about 10 yds. from an intersection of two trails. It was cold and snowing and about 4:00 pm. I was really cold so I sat down on the down wind side of the tree for a minute. . All of a sudden I saw this doe walkin' down my side of the field , so I got ready for her to come down the trail. She turned and started down the trail I was on. I came to full draw and was waitin' for her to come to me . All of a sudden she stopped. I had a clean shot of about 18 yds. and was about to take it when something caught my eye in the field . It was a big 10 point buck ! I mean one of those bucks you see those guy's on TV shoot  :knothead:  ! Well I desided to wait on him , but by now she was about 10 yds. from me and I could not move ! Sure enough he came after her ! She was raiseing her tail and singin' deer love songs at him ! He ran right to her. I will spare you all the x-rated stuff. Well, as he was basking in the after glow he turned broad side of me and looked the other way and I have never made such a perfect shot in my live. He was broad side about 11 yards from me, lookin' the other way, a deer of a lifetime ! I let the arrow go and it went right were I was lookin' ! It sailed right thru the center of his massive 10 point set of horns !!!!!!!!!!!!!

O'well, at least I i made a good shot !

Bill

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »
I was hunting this last year and hadn't seen anything all morning but squirrels.  One particular squirrel had not shut up since a little after dawn, running up and down this tree about 30 yards away rasing complete cane at me.  It was getting late and as I'm climbing down, this squirrel kicks it into overdrive and cusses me up and down his tree.  He gets to the bottom of his tree about the time I get to mine and stands there on the ground, tail high, defiant and just letting it rip.  I couldn't take any more.... I wanted to shoot at him before but refrained cause I was afraid of 1) I'd lose my arrow, 2) It would hit the iron hard beech he was in and break it.  Now he was in the leaf litter so I nocked my one judo, took aim and let fly.  Only by grace, he hopped 6 inches straight in the air just as the arrow arrived at the exact location his head had been a split second before.  So now, the arrow burried deep into the earth at the base of the tree, he runs up onto the arrow! Little monster, I'm gonna KILL you now. So I nock a broadhead concentrate on his open mouth and let fly.  Next thing I see him running up the tree, taking off for parts unknown like a scalded rat. I walk over, not believing I missed twice...only to find my judo arrow "robin Hood-ed" by the broadhead.  I laughed for 10 minutes that a silly squirrel was so lucky and I wasted a fine carbon arrow cause I have a temper.  Sorry for the long winded reply...

Joe
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 05:07:00 PM »
Coming off the archery range one day with a buddy we hit the last target.... it was a 55 yard shot at a hunter target.. you know the black ones with the white center..... well there were 4 of the sponsored compound shooters sitting there fiddling with their sites .... they had every gadget known to man on them bows they looked like a cross between an antenna and a x-mas tree..... my buddy and I stopped and told them to go ahead as we really didn't want to shoot in front of them but they insisted we go first.... well my buddy hits the center ring and I pull up and release..... my arrow hits 10 yards or so in front of the target and skips up into the center ring.... That's when the razzing really started...well we both took out arrows for a second shot and again my buddy puts an arrow right in the white...... I pull up and hit the dirt in exactly the same spot and skip a second arrow into the center right next to my first arrow.... I turned around not cracking a smile and said to the sponsored guys, who were now quiet,..... I bet you thought that first shot was an accident didn't you and proceeded to walk up and pull out our arrows.... we waited until we were out of earshot and busted out laughing.... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline TrapperJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 05:51:00 PM »
Kilt a bobkitty 3 years ago wit ma Black wider silver anna.  He jumped up on a rock alookin at me,  :eek:  I shot low skipped an he jumped gottem in da belly went bout 50 yds. yeaw i planed it dat way  :D    :D   TJ  :D    :D
These er jus da ramblin's of a Huntahaulic

Offline TrapperJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 05:52:00 PM »
Kilt a bobkitty  bout 3 years ago wit ma Black wider silver anna.  He jumped up on a rock alookin at me,  :eek:  I shot low skipped an he jumped gottem in da belly went bout 50 yds. yeaw i planed it dat way  :D    :D   TJ  :D    :D
These er jus da ramblin's of a Huntahaulic

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2003, 06:20:00 PM »
A friend and I were hunting on Ossabaw Island once.He had made a to far back shot on a sow. We trailed her and he was down to his last arrow he skillfully shot in her foot. Feeling sorry for the sow I slipped in and lunged her. He was shooting a compound and had gotten dark enough he couldn`t see thru his peep and plus he was out of arrows. We got the sow back to the checkin station as this was a managed hunt. There were around 40 people there , all bowhunters with game . When the game warden got to my buddies pig I yelled ,Hey whats that stuck in her foot and left. All 40 bowhunters gathered round and give the old boy one heck of a laugh.RC

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2003, 09:15:00 PM »
I'm loving all these!  It's the little things like these that make the great memories of a life as a hunter!

I remember sitting in a tree stand in Texas, many years ago.  It was a stand I particularly liked, for no special reason except that it was in the deep forrest where deer often bedded and moved, off and on, all day long ... and it was an exceedingly comfortable tree.  I often hunted from it.  It is still one of my most memorable tree stands, though I never killed a deer from it.

That tree was a huge oak that was home for lots of nature's true 'woods folk', and they provided lots of entertainment to help pass the hours.  It had a huge hollow at the base, from which two bobcats emerged one evening, just at dusk.  I'd been in the stand for hours, but figure they probably knew I was there all along.  They calmly walked out and strolled away - directly beneath the biggest limb on the tree!  I never had a chance!

It was also the stand that I was in when a squirrel came out at the top.  He chattered and clammered for a while, talking with his kinfolk in the area.  Then he started his descent - coming down straight towards me.  I could hear him coming ... claws digging into the ancient wrinkled bark.  When I thought he was about at my head, I slowly tilted my head back ... and found we were face to face.  Anyone else ever heard a squirrel say, "Oh, S--T"?    "[laffsmyl]"  

Ed

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2003, 11:17:00 PM »
1080 - sodium monofleuroacetate.  Yep, it's a poison.  Nasty stuff.  Look up the "Data Sheet" on the Web sometime!  Not used much in Aussie, but New Zeland uses about 90% of the world's production of it, in their possum control program.  They drop it by air, laced into food pelits.  Bad part is, it kills EVERYTHING.  The areas that have been poisoned with it are totally sterile.  Not a bird or rodent to be found.  The woods are deathly quiet.

The NZ government acknowledges that it kills about 80% of the deer n the drop areas, but maintain that the killing of deer is "acceptable", as they are non-native animals!  Sad situation.  Did an article on it a few months ago - followed by my own (not exactly 'main stream') opinion on the spread of 'alien species'.  Still maintain that the last legal rhino will be hunted in ... Texas!  Thank God for hunters!!!!!!

Ed

Offline Russ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2003, 03:11:00 AM »
Gee, if we get to go twice ... my bowhunting buddy died way too young and I think he'd enjoy having one of his stories told, so here goes.

Stan and I established a bear bait south of Anchorage in an area known to have black bears and no grizzly bears, which are not legal to bait. We fed the bait for a number of weeks and had lots of black bears coming in. One night Stan was on the stand when he heard some huffing and puffing from a really big bear coming into the bait. Yep, it was a large grizzly sow with two small cubs, doubly illegal and very dangerous. The sow laid down on the bait and ate until there was nothing left. An amazing feat all by itself. After a short nap, she got up and walked away. The cubs, however, stayed right there and played and napped for quite some time. Stan's tree stand was about 7' up, maybe 8 yards from the bait, and had no seat. He had been on edge for well over an hour and was anxious to sneak away back to his truck and safety.

Not known for patience, Stan decided he would shoot a blunt into the dirt, close to the cubs, in an attempt to chase them away. Upon doing so, the cubs were properly scared, ran to the nearest tree, and began to climb. Luckily, it was not the same tree Stan was in. Unluckily, it was the one immediately next to him and was in touching distance. Each cub in turn came up the tree, looked at Stan, bawled their lungs out, and climbed higher. The sow came running back, obviously irritated, as only a grizzly can be. Jaws popping, mouth drewling, smashing trees and shrubs, she was the epitomy of wild anger and violence. Stan was sure he was standing dead. Back to the tree, knees shaking, he prepared to meet his maker. The sow thrashed around for at least three eternities and then went huffing off into the woods and out of sight, never having laid a paw on our hero. Still not willing to come down from the stand, Stan tried not to look the cubs in the eye. Eventually, the cubs came down the tree, saw Stan, or what was left of him, LOL, bawled and climbed down the tree. Once on the ground the cubs ran to catch up with mom. Stan barely touched the ground for the mile run back to the truck. After that, I had the bait station all to myself! I believe that was the last time Stan tried bear baiting. Imagine that.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2003, 07:12:00 PM »
Russ ... That's a great story.  I had one similar when I lived in Alaska ... except that I was varmint calling (from a ground blind) for fox, and had a grizzly respond!  I would tell the story ... except ... it wasn't funny at all!

Ed   :scared:    :scared:    :scared:    :scared:

Offline joel smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2003, 10:45:00 PM »
not sure this qualifies as funniest shot, more like shot(s). an old friend and i were hunting elk in CO, a little this side of Eagle. The weather was seriously anti-elk, hot, dry as a popcorn fart. What hunting we could manage was very early and very late which made for some long days in camp. We got to noticing several praire dogs poppin' up near camp and we were gettin' a little "restless" by this time so decided it was gonna be a bad day for praire dogs. Man, those little dudes are FAST ! Don't remember how many broadheads were dulled before i gave up but Elbert refused to quit. i finally just sat down and watched him. He had decided the way to get one was to concentrate on one hole and time it so you were at fulldraw when he popped up so all you had to do was release---ever tried that ? never failed that, just as you had to let down, he'd pop up just about time you fully relaxed, you'd jerk it back and of course he'd see the movemnet and be gone before the arrow cleared the bow. Elbert got so tired and so mad with the dogs that he just took an arrow out of his quiver and crouched over the hole with the arrow point only inches away from the edge of the hole---he was gonna just stab him next time he came up. I've still got the picture i took of Elbert leanin' over that hole, staring intently...and the praire dog standing on the edge of the hole directly behind him watching....
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2003, 10:12:00 PM »
Great One Joel!  Reminds me of my brother's 'gopher hunt' ... but that's his story!

Ed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©