INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »
Good stuff guys! I'm kinda shocked to see Gary posting.

Funny that your shooting style remains the same after all these years Lambo'. That's your relaxed style when we're just stumping and killing ain't in the game. Even left handed your style looks the same. Neat!

I suppose reading through this thread I've found a smile and also some sadness. Looking at those pics of bygone days and seeing Fred, a legendary Bowman, so relaxed and unassuming makes the ol' eyes a little watery. The "known" archers of today sure don't seem to carry such graceful, unassuming style. I don't think Fred ever really knew how important he was to all those who were watching him. The way it should be! It sure sucks to see our Hero's die. Sure wish I'd have been born just a little earlier and have spent more time watching him myself. I do get to hunt with Lamb  :bigsmyl:   Carry-on fella's! Really great stuff! CK

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Were you shooting 4 under Charlie? CK

Offline Gary Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Once Again,
Thanks a lot for all of the comments about our story.  This is new to me although I did do a lot of writing in my previous life.  That was when I owned a hunting club in MO and I wrote about Sporting Clays.  That is another fun game to do with a shotgun.
A few comments about the comments:
To Brian,  you are right Fred did have a great time at what he did and you are right again, He really didn't know what he meant to the people that admired him.  He jumped way over the top of my list when he told his people to get rid of the pics of him and the compound.  It is too bad that people like Fred are gone,  That is why things like this are important.  We need to remember and pass on stories.  If we don't - Little people like my grandson , Charlie, won't know why we love the shooting and hunting and being with the ones we do it with.
To CK,
I'm a little shocked too.  I've been talking with Chris for some time about writing some stories with Lamb.  It sounded like it would be fun.  Several things have happened to me this past 2 years that make you say to yourself "I'm going to change and do some more of the things I like to do"  Well - here we are and it is Fun.
I'll finish this part of the story tonight with some more pics and then we will move to the bear hunt in Minn.  I think you will all like it.
Thanks Guys

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
:thumbsup:   THANKS!!!!   :campfire:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline A. Kinslow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »
"I'm going to change and do some more of the things I like to do"   - AMEN

The rat race will get us all in the end.  We each spend too much time dealing with the everyday grind, and not enough taking the time to do what is important:  Spending time with those that are dear, Surrounding ourselves with quality people, reconnecting with the natural world, soaking it all in...

Thanks Gary & Charlie for sharing how it all got started.  It will be fun to write some new chapters together.
“In the end we will conserve only what we love.  We will love only what we understand.  We will understand only what we are taught."  -- Baba Dioum

Online The Whittler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the great pics and stories.

Alan

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
Bears will mark their territory by standing up and putting their backs to a tree; and then they turn their heads and bite the tree. I am not sure if they are leaving scent from a specific gland; but they do leave not only scent - but the height of the bite marks leaves an indication to other bears of the size of the bear in that territory.
 As noted; it helps to find these markers when putting out a bait  :)  
  I love the pictures !! thanks so much for sharing  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
The week as a whole was a little slow in the bear hunting department. I never did see one. But man did we have some fun.

The average day went something like this...
Up fairly early with a cup of coffee and down to the rock shelf that ran out into the lake to catch breakfast.
There was seldom any problem catching enough walleye for whichever meal we chose... and we chose it for many. It's my favorite fish for sure.

My dad decided early on in the hunt that bear hunting just wasn't his cup of tea, so he mostly fished and cooked and hung around camp.
He's been gone for 30 years now and I sure miss him. Those were some great days for us.

In the mean time Gary was having much better luck in the bear department, but I'll let him tell about that.

I remember one comical incident that reminds me that I'm not the only one who was a little "edgy" in my early bear hunting days.

Our usual routine was to put four guys in a vehicle and drop them at their bait site one at a time.
We'd be miles apart so it took a while. The guy driving would park near his bait and pick everyone up in reverse order of what they'd been dropped off.

One of the guys... a kid named Vince... was the last in line to be picked up and instead of waiting on the road for us he'd decided he would  wait in his stand until we arrived at the road.
We would honk and let him know we were waiting.

Well, Vince's stand was way back in along a pretty little lake that teamed with ducks and loons and it would take him quite a while to get out to the truck.

One evening we pulled up and honked as usual and everyone got out to enjoy the night and the sounds of the Canadian bush.

We had just settled in by the front of the truck when off in the distance we heard a blood curdling scream... Yeooooooooooooowww!!!

It seemed that we barely had time to get concerned when Vince came racing out of the darkness.

Side heaving and totally winded he looked to be in one piece and we looked him over good until he could talk.

Seems he had just left his stand in the pitch darkness and was making his way through the thick timber on  a bear trail (what else?). Off to his side came the sound of heavy foot falls closing fast.

In that instant of recognition that some critter was closing fast, Vince's adrenaline level spiked like a tea kettle coming to boil.

Blind in the black of night and surronding brush Vince would only wait a second and it was on him.

A snowshoe hare rocketed out of the brush and across his feet, immediately followed by it's companion. Bunny grabass in the bushes.

It was too much for Vince and the tea kettle boiled over with a screeching scream. He went from zero to light speed in less time than it takes to read this.

I'm sure no Olympic sprinter could have covered the rough terrain any quicker than Vince did that night.

While there was a little good natured ribbing at his expense I doubt there was a man there who wasn't glad it was him and not them.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Thanks for that info Brian. I knew that, but I'm not much of a bear hunter anymore and if you don't use it you lose it.
  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
I love Bear stories, Fred Bear, and Black Bears. Keep em coming, This is good!
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2008, 12:30:00 AM »
With these OLDEN GUYS, it takes em a bit. They fergets things REAL EASY in between naps and all  :bigsmyl:  

I just Know there's more ta come BUT WHEN  :help:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2008, 02:11:00 AM »
Wow! Guys now that really is a great story and looking back today what a thrill it must have been just to be there. I feel privileged to have read the story and seen the pics.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
Gary spent about an hour writing last night only to lose everything he'd written in a glitch during submission... been there, done that, myself!
He'll be along in a while when he gets his fist removed from the wall.
   :knothead:    :mad:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
While we're waiting for Gary let me post a few thoughts about Fred Bear...

Even at the age of 74-75 (his age when we met him)Fred had a twinkle in his eyes and a hint of mischief in his heart.
He was a practical joker and seemed to work at ideas for having fun.

He was very "available" to whoever wanted a piece of his time and for the time he was talking with you made you feel like you were the only one worth talking to.

Fred was a real inventor even into his later years. That part of him never really waned... note the silencers on his string in one of the pictures.
They appeared to be some sort of weatherstripping material.

He was a generous man. He offered to let me take his personal bow to kill a bear with... I suck as a lefty or I would have.
I found out that this was not an uncommon gesture of Fred's.

On the first night in camp, we'd not been to the "state store" so we had no refreshments. I was elected to go to Fred's cabin and mooch a six pack... Fred sent me back with a case.

Though Fred did spend a little time hunting bears ("I've killed a bunch of bears and don't really need to shoot another one."), he seemed to really enjoy time out on the lake fishing.

When in the woods hunting bears, on that trip, he fabricated a "stalking blind". In other words, a barrier that shielded his movements from a bear on the bait.
Fred would wander off for periods of time doing whatever and occasionally return to the area of the bait.
He'd check for bears from a distance and if one was present he would be able to stalk down a cleared trail to the barrier.
Pretty smart hunter.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
What great stuff...thank you for sharing this with everyone.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Online tadpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
This is great, thanks for sharing.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Too cool!  I had no idea what I was going to find when I opened up this thread.  What a treasure!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie and Gary for sharing this with all of us!!!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
A big thanks to Charlie and Gary for sharing this and the pictures.  

I'm sitting on the edge of my chair, just like i would be at the campfire, wide eyed and listening to every word!
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
great post and pics, thanks.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©