INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
Man, this is a great thread.  Thanks for sharing your memories and pictures.  Please share more!!!!!!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline returntoarchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
Is that a "B" riser on Fred's TD?

Also what poundage was Fred shooting?

This is a great thread! Keep them coming.

Frank

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
Really enjoyed this one, Gary and Charlie, even  with the  slow  "dial-up wait  for the pics"  hassel.    Thanks  a bunch!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mrs Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
I know I am a Trad Gang addict.  It's the only addiction my husband doesn't complain about.  Never had it so bad as when this thread came along.  I think I check 3-4 times a day to see if it has been updted.

Thank you Gentleman!
"Brown dogs make the best BOWCHERY dogs"

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
Come on your killing me here. lets here about the MN bear hunt!!!!!!!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Garry, I hope you don't mind if I add a picture or two to this thread if you do let me know and I'll edit them out. I hunted out of that same camp last fall and one of the things I enjoyed was watching the sun rise from the landing between the cabins and the dock each morning. Maybe it will bring back a memory or two for you as well.

And by the way that rock ledge mentioned earlier still gives up plenty of walleye!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Gary, the picture of you in the boat was great. I think they must still have the same boats now!

"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Looks like Gary and Charlie tell stories the same way......either that or Gary broke his hands punching that wall.

Dennis,

Those pictures of your are great.  

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Gary Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Thanks Lamb for taking up the slack.  The story was going real well last night until I goofed up and lost it.  So I'll try again.  
Comments about the comments :
Fred was  shooting a 69 lb bow at the time of the hunt if I remember right.  I was shooting 65 and Lamb was probably at 70.  Needless to say - I was impressed.  He shot it with ease.
It was fun to sit around at night and listen to Fred's stories of hunting Bear and Moose, etc.  All the stories we had at that time were about rabbits and squirrels , so we didn't tell many.

Welcome to all of the new readers.  We'll try not to let you down.

Hey Dennis,  Thanks for the great pics.  We saw those sunsets and just didn't get them on film.
Great addition.

Somebody needs to kill a bear in this story !

The week went like Charlie said.  A little slow.  The compound guys were hitting some but we didn't see any of them.  The were also the guys that didn't like to practice. something about conserving their energy.  Thye guides weren't to happy about it.  They had given strict instructions on where to shoot a bear.  When the guy announced that he shot one in the head because he thought his Super Expanding Glodo head would penetrate anything, I thought he was going to get shot himself.

Charlie mentioned how dark it was at night .  As many of yoiu know ,that is an understatement.  We had to get to our stands by going down a bear trail.  I asked our guide what to do if you ran into a bear.  He said " Get on a stump, and look real big.  They respect size."  I wondered if they would respect the fact that I had just crap--- my pants.
I sat in my stand for several days with nothing happening.  Then one morning I got there and the bait had been hit and thrown everywhere.  The truck was gone and I didn't know what else I could do so I got in the stand.  Charlie mentioned how low they were.  I just stepped up in mine from the ground.  Lucky I was young and dumb and ?  or that might have bothered me.  I was there for a little while and just about to get to the good part of the book I was reading when I realized I was listening to something.  What the hell is that ?  I think that is something breathing.
 Problem is---  IT ISN'T ME !!  
I looked right underneath me and there was a huge black bear.  I looked at by bow with the arrow laying by it and to tell you the truth - It didn't look all that deadly.  The bear sat there for some time and I thought I would pass out.  He finally got up and circled the clearing.  He would walk a few feet and then stop.  He never took his eyes off of me.
I was able to get the arrow nocked but, I had to hold it on the string with both hands.  If I let go it rattled so bad I was afraid I would scare him.  Like I was a threat or something.  I decided not to even try to shoot him.  I doubt that I could have hit him with a shotgun.  I was able to get the arrow off of the string before I hurt myself.  

Online Charlie Lamb

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Great sunset pics Dennis!! Thanks for that.
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online tippit

• Contributing Member 2018
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
This is a great story guys...the pictures, the camo, the Hair, Geez where did that go!  Thanks for the trip back...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Gary Norris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
I can see this bear in my mind right now just like it was back then.  His muscles rippled with each step .  He was so powerful . It was all in slow motiom.  It was truely the most awesome thing I had ever seen.  It was simply a priveledge to be in his home.  

Back then I was a trapper and I took some muskrat scent with me as a coverup.  Not real sure why I thought it would work since we were covered with Off to keep the black flys away.  Each day I would take a stick and dip it in the scent then rub it all over me.  You guessed it - then I would toss the stick into the tiny clearing by the bait.  The big guy stopped by the stick when he smelled and ate the stick.  I reached for the razor sharp knife in my belt.  Man,,, was I glad when he kept moving, I would have hated to die from a knife wound.

Like the ghost of the timber he was, he disappeared  without a sound.
I was trying to get over that sighting and here comes another bear.  He hot footed it right bown the trail without stopping.  I just sat there.  About dark I looked each way down the trail .  There was another bear standing on his hide legs right in the trail.  I waited as long as I could and I got down.  You can only imagine how much noise I made that night going out.

Tomorrow would be the day.

As the guide left me in the morning after rebaiting.  He offered this advice. "You will kill a bear today.  Don't f=== this up."
Very to the point, I thought.

I sat for just a short time and here he came.  He wasn't the big guy ,but that was OK.  Fred said he was a 3-4 year old.  "Just like his first bear." What a nice guy Fred was.

The bear came in and I was able to nock an arrow and get ready.  As he went under me the arrow was already gone.  I thought it looked a little high but the angle was good.  The arrow was at about 3/4 penetration and flagging as he ran.  The 65lb Hoyt Pro Hunter had started the job and now the Ben Pearson Deadhead needed to finish it.  

It was early in the day so I waited anh hour or so and walked to the road.  After waiting another hour, I decided to do what they told us not to do.  I'll just go find that bear.  I got back in the stand and pictured where I last saw him.  After tracking small drops of blood for about 35 yards I spotted him.  He was down under a log.  I followed blood right to the log and he wasn't there.  It was just black moss.  I took the arrow off of the string and turned around.  I had walked right by the bear and almost stepped on him.  The scream I let out was the first scream in the woods that night.  Lamb told you about the second.

It was a fun camp that night and the end to a truely great hunt.  I had known Charlie's Dad for a long time but hadn't spent much time with him.  As Charlie said,  we lost him years ago.  I will always be grateful for the time we had on that hunt.

Thanks for all of your comments.  This is new for me and I really appreciate it.  We 'll get the Minn. hunt started in a few days.  It should be a great one.  Gary

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
This is Samantha on Chris' computer....Way to go Dad (Gary) and Charlie....I have seen 100s of pics of you guys and probably only know stories to about 1/2 of them. I am glad my dad is finally doing this.  Thanks for being great story tellers and hunters for the rest of my family to follow......SAM

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
:readit:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Frank... yep! That's a "B" riser.

Sam... your comment made me get a little misty! (cut it out m   ;)   )  I'm glad he's getting around to this too!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
awesome story cant wait for the next one..

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Wow,

My wife Samantha "Sam" (Gary's daughter) just got on my computer and posted on the trad gang.

Now instead of telling me to stop spending so much time looking at stuff on trad gang she is actually posting! Awesome.  

Chris

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2008, 02:07:00 AM »
Priceless!!!!!!  The photos...the story...it doesn't get any better.  Great Job!!!!!!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
Great stuff!!!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©