INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales  (Read 881 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Frank... yep! That's a "B" riser.

Sam... your comment made me get a little misty! (cut it out m   ;)   )  I'm glad he's getting around to this too!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
awesome story cant wait for the next one..

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Wow,

My wife Samantha "Sam" (Gary's daughter) just got on my computer and posted on the trad gang.

Now instead of telling me to stop spending so much time looking at stuff on trad gang she is actually posting! Awesome.  

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2008, 02:07:00 AM »
Priceless!!!!!!  The photos...the story...it doesn't get any better.  Great Job!!!!!!!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Wulomac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2008, 07:15:00 AM »
Great stuff!!!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.  GEN-21:20

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2008, 08:47:00 AM »
Gary:

Your story made me feel as though I was in camp with you and the rest. I'm still chuckling over the thought of you screaming when it dawned on you that you had just walked right past the bear.  :biglaugh:   Talk about an interesting "trophy" in its own way- having a photo of Fred kneeling beside your bear must be very special for you.

These stories and older photos make me appreciate that time is really slipping by, but I truly enjoy reading about the experiences of my fellow TGers. Thanks to you and everyone else for sharing. Must have been quite an honor to share a camp with a legend.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks Gary and Charlie for sharing, It is rare to hear stories from people that where fortunate to hunt with Mr. Fred Bear. Mark
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Since Gary finished his story last night I'm going to post the last of the pictures from this hunt.  I enjoyed looking at all of them and so I figured you guys would like them as well.  Maybe Charlie can fill in the rest as Gary is out pushing snow today as we got about 8 inches last night.

Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline beachbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
Chris, now it's all coming together for me...how you and Charlie are "related" that is.

Samantha welcome to Tradgang. We usually joke about how the guys around here married up (and it's always true). Knowing what a great young man Chris is would make you pretty darn special. Has he bought you a bow yet?  :readit:  

Gary and Charlie..thank you very much for this story and the ones to follow.

Norb
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
I'd buy this book in a heartbeat. As someone stated earlier....I feel honored just to read it. When I read about the rabbit I nearly fell off my chair at my desk. Everyone in the office was wondering what the heck was so funny, and I told them they just wouldn't understand. Awesome guys....Thanks.

Offline Montyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
All I can say is thank you for sharing.  The pics and stories are just awsome.  It sure makes me remember all of the hunts I have had with my brothers and dad over the years.  I guess it is time to go make some new memories before it is to late. Thanks again.

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
You're right Montyc!

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Awesome read   :clapper:
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline returntoarchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Ditto.     :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
One more short little story... The guide and I had talked about me not seeing any bears and he suggested we look at a spot where he had a test bait.

When we arrived at the spot it was evident that it was a pretty good location AND the bait was torn up.

We didn't know much about portable stands in those days and we certainly didn't own any, nor did the outfitter.

If there was going to be a tree stand there it would have to be built.
It was a much more open location than the other places, so it almost had to have a tree stand.

We soon got to work with axes and spikes and in short order had a perfect stand built... to my specs!

Built between three pine trees it was about 12 ft. up and 20 feet from the bait. The platform itself was natually brushed in by pine limbs and you'd have had to look real hard to see me up there if you knew I was there.

Being the last day of the hunt was coming up,I decided I'd go for broke. A full moon lit up the night almost as bright as day so I'd have plenty of light to shoot by and it was legal to do, so I planned for an overnight sit.

I really wanted a bear!

I'd go in the next morning and get dropped off early. I'd not get picked up until the following morning. It would be a long vigil... no doubt.

So we proceeded with the plan. I packed sandwiches and drinks and an extra jacket for the night time.
Soon I was climbing into my roost and the guys were speeding off merrily down the gravel road.

The day went by pretty uneventfully.... I didn't see a dang thing! As evening approached I grew more intent and studied every bush and rock.

In my plan I knew I could shoot accurately by the bright full moon. What I hadn't taken into consideration was that from the time the sunset and it got dark, until the moon rose and it got light enough to see, was about 2 hours.

I mean to tell you it got as dark as the inside of a cow. Once again I had to fight the feeling that bears would be climbing up after me. Not to mention that I'd done just a little too much reading about Sasquatch before the trip.

I was never so happy to see the moon.

Once the moon was up it was as I'd thought. Bright enough that the trees made shadows and I could clearly see the bait.

But alas, the night turned out to be as unproductive as the day had been.

The guys picked me up around 8 a.m. and we headed back to camp to pack and get ready for the long drive home.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline mmgrode

• Associate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Aweome stories fellas!  I love to hear stories from the past!  Thanks, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Ernie Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
ttt

Offline C.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
I haven't posted very often since joining this site.But this time I have to say thank you for the great story and pictures.

Online DannyBows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
I really enjoy these stories of the Legends of our sport. Thanks for sharing them with us, and please continue to do so. You fellows have been truly blessed to share some of the moments of your lives with such special men. Decades from now young members of this site and our sport will be sharing stories and memories of time spent with outstanding sportsmen now active here. These will be the "Good Old Days" for them.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2018 ~ Trad Gang.com ©