INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: You ever feed wild game to unsuspecting victims?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Tradchad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You ever feed wild game to unsuspecting victims?
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »
Being born and raised on wild game, I would like to add a little to the conversation.I pride myself on the fact that I have turned dozens of friends and family members onto wild game.I have not lied to anyone they just expect that if they come to my house some sort of critter is going to be on the table.Meat is meat and if they have an allergy to some form ,then they better speak up.                                                But on the other hand it is our responsibility as hunters to provide awesome table fare.Personal choice ,but I do not take any game animal into the buthcher shop in my experience a quick band saw job and out it goes. I shoot for nothing less than a quick clean kill, cooled out as fast as I can and when I butcher there is not a bone, piece of fat or gristle in my freezer.In my own experience this is where the wild taste comes from.I wrap everything in plastic and then paper,2 years later no freezer burn great to eat. If there is going to be some wild taste it is usually in the burger.A great cure for this is burger jerky,sausage, salami etc something mixed with spices to counter the taste.                                              We don't need to get non hunters to hunt, but if we get them to understand why we do, hunting and killing will be greater accepted.One bad taste of wild game will turn them off for life,one good taste will get them hooked. Please let me know what you all think eh.

Offline Numitokayo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
Very good answer, feel the same way.  Ya hit the nail on the head there..  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Daniel

----------------------
The most valuable gift is a good example
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »
Agree 100% regarding deer fat and bones & marrow. Like you, I take the meat off the uncut, unbroken bones. And there's something about deer fat that just will not cook down... a mouthful of that just once is more than enough for a lifetime.
Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.

Offline Chris EdS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
I'm with the Albertabowman, I gut'em and skin'em as fast as I can.  I carry water jugs in the truck and I wash them down, Hang'em to dry, bag'em and get'em to a cooler asap.  When I hunt out of state it goes to a meat locker for butchering, but if I'm local, I'll have them hang it but I'll butcher it and grind it for sausage myself.  I just pulled some 1 1/2 year old antelope roast out of the deep freeze and the way my wife fixed'em was terrific.  

I think your typical commercial processor tends to leave a lot of silver skin on the meat and there is nothing worse unless you got some old shoe leather.  

I tried a rack of deer ribs once and I couldn't get the fat out of my mouth.  I can't blame anybody for not liking a mouthful of that stuff either.

I will be careful in the future about letting people know that they are eating game.  The allergy thing is just not worth the risk.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©