INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broadheads for Turkey  (Read 894 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads for Turkey
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »
Here is the pic. of the other bird from my earlier post,I guess you can't put two pics. at the same time.I probably did somehting wrong.Any way here it is:

P.S.  my bud killed the jake about two minutes after I killed mine.Those DB blinds are awsome!
These were killed in GA.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Beartracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2003, 08:53:00 AM »
Ron, Back in the early 80's Pete Sheply (Owner of PSE) had some star shaped thing that was shaped like a cupcake container and it went between the shaft and the screw on broadhead , It worked great.Haven't seen any around in years. Mike
"If you really want to own and shoot the best, you need to buy an ACS"

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2003, 09:14:00 AM »
I plan on using the Snuffer.  Has anyone used game grabbers behind their broadheads?  I'd like to keep the arrow in the bird, but not sure what combo would work good with my setup.

Set up is.  57lbs at 28", 600gr carbon arrows with 3 blade snuffers.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2003, 11:08:00 AM »
I would advise against using a rigid stopper behind the arrow unless you are shooting alot of energy.  The first bird I shot was with a adder, which is a rigid metal star-shaped stopper behind a 4-bl 90gr. and it caught the primary feathers on the bird and stopped the broadhead from penetrating.  All I had was some down feathers on the tip of the broadhead and it sounded like I shot the bird with a blunt.  It knocked the heck out of him, but I couldn't get on him quick enough.  The rest of the birds have been shot with just a 125gr. 4-bl and they worked perfectly, just sticking out the far side or stopping at the fletch.  Just my 2 cents.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »
Mark, I was advised to sharpen the Adder. Did you do that on your hunt/shot?
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Hank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2003, 12:04:00 AM »
Thanks Ron!  I am trying to stay young, now I am an old timer!  lol

I was going to use a 3 blade bodkin, or a WW, or both. Wait till you see the setup. I am guessing a 45lb bow. (old Shakespeare wonder bow made into a short R/D Flatbow), playing with fiberglass kids arrows. True Flight Ceda-Glass spine out at 45lbs and fly like darts.

They are really skinny and the wall of the shaft is really thick. I have shot them into concrete blocks and it did nothing to the shaft. With a 125 grain broadhead they weigh in around 650 grains.

Hopefully I will get to see what this setup does on a Turkey.

Hank
Remember, if you walk a mile in someone's shoes, you will be a mile away and have their shoes.

Online Ron LaClair

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »
Lance, you can see the head on their website  www.steelforce.com  click on Talon series

It looks like slots cut in the blade with the front slots angled forward, a real scary   :scared:  looking thing that should knock a turkey feet up   :bigsmyl:  

I should have some of the Talon Turkey heads in a day or so, I'll let you know what I think after I get a close up look at em.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Psycho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »
Have used snuffers for many years and have taken many grouse with them. This will be my first year trying for turkey with bow and arrow. Thanks for the post on how to face the decoys. Those darn turkeys seem to notice even the slightest movement and I feel a vent shot will be my best bet.  Hope to someday get good enough to go for only head shots. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2003, 12:02:00 PM »
No Woodduck, I did not.  I had used the adders before on rabbits and stuff, but will not use them on turkeys again.  The grasshoppers work well with enough energy, but I have had good luck with just a big 'ol 4 blade.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2003, 08:17:00 PM »
Ron,

I was looking at those new Steelforce and was about to send you a note to ask about them.  Are you going to stock any at the shop?  Those Simmons TreeSharks look like they would be a wicked turkey head.  Monday after Easter I am going to give it a try.

Steve Osminski

Offline revharry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2003, 02:43:00 PM »
I've been using the 125 Zwickey but I might try Rons idea and try the steelforce, later, Harry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©