INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Any Small Game Hunters Bowhunters Here?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Small Game Hunters Bowhunters Here?
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2003, 05:19:00 PM »
Charlie , Im waiting too ....we love dim stories ..down here in Cajun Country!..mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Randy. c A.K.A NC-kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »
HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!  I  MUST  HERE  THE  END   OF  THAT  STORY                     PLEASE  I BEGG YOU
some hunters say my bows are out-dated and a thing of the past. I THANK THEM!!!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2003, 08:17:00 PM »
Even as I spun,a heavy body crashed into my side. I stumbled sideways and scrambled closer to a sage bush trunk. I'd gotten my bow in between my body and what ever it was that hit me. Whatever it was, was gone for now, having melted into the tall grass which sprung up beneath the mammoth sage.
I was shaken, but unscratched. The broadhead arrow that I had on the string earlier was gone and I hadn't shot it. I nocked another one.
To say I was spooked would be putting it mildly. My knees were doing dueling banjos and my breath came in fast, heavy,jerks.
A faint movement in the grass 15 yards away riveted my attention. Focusing my gaze on the spot, the outline of a huge jack rabbit slowly took shape. He was fully as large as a Labrador retreiver and he sat there just looking at me.
A red stain spread down across the gray tipped fur of his chest and the arrow I had had on my bowstring hung loosely from his neck.
Quick as thought I brought my heavy longbow to full draw and sent an arrow into the red spot on his chest.
Even quicker he launched himself across the space that separated us, springing from powefull hind legs, touching for an instant on his smaller front feet and springing again.
I dodged his last leap and avoided a thumping from his giant hind feet,with a lunge to the side. He scrambled a second or two in the loose snow which covered the icy crust. THUNK!! Another broadhead sliced through the chill night air and buried to the fletch between the jack's shoulder blades.
The jack's whole body language changed and he reared onto his hind legs and stretched fully erect. He was every foot as tall as I was!
Then he slumped slowly to the side. The razor edged blades had done their work and he was down.
I just stood there in disbelief for a long time, watching for any sign of movement. Finally I eased up beside him and slowly dropped to one knee in the snow by his side him and placed an ungloved hand in the deep fur of his back. I could feel the warmth of his body and touched the wet, warm blood that trickled from the arrow wounds to assure myself he was flesh and blood.
As a lazer bright sun crested the mountain range to the east I drug him to the old corrals and took his picture.
I was exausted and decided to walk on back to the bunk house for a rest and coffee. I'd tell Randall the story and get him to come back with me to get him.
By the time I convinced Randall I wasn't delirious from the cold it was late morning before we started our trudge over the white landscape to recover my trophy.
What we found was startling and spooky in it's own right. The prints of some kind of large tracked vehicle were everywhere and all sign of the incident had been disturbed, covered or churned up.
The feed bags that had been in the old barn were gone, as were the dead coyotes and my jack rabbit.

I've thought long and hard about that night ever since it happened and have no reasonable explanation. As close as I can guess, the bags had contained some kind of growth agent the Air Force was experimenting with and the rabbit had gotten into it. I can think of no other reason.

The following evening I grabbed my bow and headed back out there. I'd just crossed the fence behind the bunkhouse when I slipped on a patch of ice and dislocated my knee.
I drug myself back to the house and pounded on the door. I was in a lot of pain and screamed for Randall to help. I had him grab my ankle and pull on my leg as hard as he could. A lot like I've been doing to you all through this story.    :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2003, 08:40:00 PM »
TRULY OUTSTANDING!!!! I APPLAUD YOU! MAN CAN YOU THROW THE BULLCRAP!!PRADON MY LANGUAGE.THIS IS THE KIND OF STUFF YOU NEVER GET SHOOTING A COMPOUND!!!FRANK<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2003, 08:45:00 PM »
lol, man you can write. great story.
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2003, 08:47:00 PM »
hey fisherofmen, that beats any fish story i ever heard, lol.
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2003, 09:07:00 PM »
HECK THAT BEATS ANYTHING I EVER CAME UP WITH ALSO!AND I CAN SPIN A YARN TO!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Scotty Webster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2003, 09:20:00 PM »
Charlie,if you could see me right now,you would see that I am waving a small white flag.I give! You win!I thought I may have put you on the spot,by asking you to tell us your Rabbit story.Not only did you field the ball,but you also made the double play.Man,what a whopper of a Rabbit story!!!!!Your journalistic skills are superb.Thanks for your time and for sharing with us.

Offline Buckeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2003, 10:56:00 PM »
Best dang read I have had in a while. I enjoyed it throughly. Thanks Charlie!

B
...all to often technology is substituted for skill and knowledge, guess that is why I married a teacher and shoot stickbows!

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2003, 03:51:00 AM »
Charlie, That was GREAT readin!! You sure know how to spin a yarn! Now ya got any Killer squirrel stories????? Come on lets hear it!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »
Holy Crap Charlie, You better have them Meds checked! I think they gave you the wrong bottle! Great B.S. story though. Curtis

Offline StanM

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2003, 11:27:00 AM »
Charlie,

That was cool.  Had the whole class read it.  :thumbsup:  

Stan

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »
Travis, I'm over in Seymour. I think we have met, maybe ?

Got to go back tonight and read all of Charlie's story. Wanted to catch it all at once.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »
Charlie, That was bettern  a hot bowl of soup on a cold day. Or should I say..."a stunningly crisp morning where the air is so cold it catches in your throat" LOL!!!
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2003, 01:31:00 PM »
LMAO>>>>man! that was what I call SPINNING THE YARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THAT WAS GREAT BUDDY..hey Charlie MERRY CHRISTMAS , REALLY good man! mark#78

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2003, 09:12:00 AM »
ttt THIS WAS TOO GOOD READ CHARLIES STORY TOLD HERE ....A WINNER !!!LOL....MARK#78

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2003, 09:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everybody!  :)  From now on I'll do my story tellin on the Articles and Stories section and link to them in a post.
Always seems to bring out the best in me when I'm writin for friends.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »
ttt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©