INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Joe Mattingly legacy  (Read 767 times)

Online wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Joe Mattingly legacy
« on: April 04, 2003, 08:28:00 PM »
Many of you that have come over here from over there were Joe's friends.  Well Joe Marty and I have been tasked by Gerry, Joe's widow, to go through his archery stuff.  His selfbows were all directed to the grandchildren in his will, but there were some real gems in the truck today.  I remember a vintage custom Bear recurve and a Wing about the same age.  There was a very nice Tim Baker selfbow that looks very South Seas flavored.  it was a gift from Tim at the first MoJam during the wood wars.  Gerry asked us to set aside an item or two to donate at MoJam this year in a fund raiser.  Something that meant a lot to me were Joe's selfbow tools, sitting in the coffee can just like at home.  His old knives and spokeshave spoke very loudly to me.

Anyway keep an eye open over here and over there for directions on how to bid on Joe's legacy.

Mike
Dang I'm leaking again

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joe Mattingly legacy
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 08:33:00 PM »
Cool Mike!  :cool:  ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 06:55:00 AM »
Sure miss Joe..would be nice to have something of his to cherish. Is that knife he used for making a bow at Mojam in there Mike? Gonna have to set aside a little money.

swollen but not leakin..but don't want to think about it too much

Joe..Stephen & Ron..we miss you guys

ok now I'm leakin
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Chez

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 07:11:00 AM »
way to go Mike!! I miss Joe and all he has done for me both inside and outside of the archery world..

Chez
Chez- Walk Softly and Carry a Bent Stick

Offline loyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 07:25:00 PM »
one of the best trades i ever made was one of my knives for a Mattingly bow with my name on it. it will never get traded off. loyd  :cool:

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 07:49:00 PM »
Joe was an inspiration to us all and will never be forgotten.......I'll be watching for your sale Mike.....Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Crazy Horse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »
Yall let me know when the items go up for sale.
If you want meat on the pole you gotta put wood in the air.

Offline Dave N./TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 09:49:00 AM »
Here is a picture of Joe - thought you guys might like to see.

http://renegadearchery.com/JM/joe.htm

Dave N/TX
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "WOW, what a ride!!" Unknown Author

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2003, 01:58:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Dave.....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2003, 03:38:00 PM »
Seems like forever, but back in 97 I called Joe and started asking him about building bows.  I had been building board bows and wanted to make the switch to staves but was very hesitant.  I ended up trading him a Bear bow for one of his selfbows.  Sorry to say that that bow has moved on.  But, about two months later when I moved into the new house, we traded again.  I sent him an old Wing bow and he said he would send me a straight stave.  Well it must have been a good bow cause he sent me three styraight staves.

The first stave I turned into a flatbow that is now retired and hanging on the wall.  It is a bow that I will always treasure for a few reasons. The second stave was turned into a longbow and sold.  The third stave I kept for 3 years and finally turned it into the little horsebow that hangs in my office.

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Online wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 07:57:00 PM »
hey that old wing is one of the bows that we will be auctioning.  Be a good time to complete the cycle.

:bigsmyl:

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
Here's a pic of Joe y'all might enjoy.......

(Mike this is the knife I was talking about)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/54404608/69100614KLcDjx
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2003, 06:21:00 PM »
I was digging through and old desk this afternoon and found a picture that Joe sent me back in April of 98.  It is a pic of 7 of his selfbows laying on a bearskin.

If any of ya'll know his families address, I would gladly send this to them if they would like it.  If not, I will just stick it in my archery archive chest.

Thanks,

Frank
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline Tradman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »
Joe and I met several years ago and spent a great deal of time going to shoots and discussing God's goodness, archery and bowhunting in general. Joe made Cheryl and I three different selfbows that we still have and cherish. I would trade strings and bows for mine and Cheryl made Joes arrows in a trade for hers. He was like that; didn't take money but liked to barder.

He was on my hunting lease in Graham, Tx. where Joe was always hunting squirrels, shooting old guns and scanning for Osage Trees.

Cheryl and I miss Joe very much.

Matt Napper

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »
Yep, he was an inspiration to say the least.
tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©