INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bowyer Joe Don Jones is BACK!  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowyer Joe Don Jones is BACK!
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »
I've been collecting and shooting selfbows for twenty years. As much as I enjoy and admire glass laminated longbows and recurves, for me there is no glass bow that compares with a masterfully crafted selfbow or backed wood bow, and I emphasize "masterfully crafted". I don't know how many threads I've read over the years written by guys who are looking for a bowyer who makes selfbows, and every single time a bunch or responses will claim that you can just make your own selfbow. Sure, pretty much anyone can get a stick to bend and put a string on it and make an arrow fly, but when you've shot as many selfbows and backed wood bows as I have, there is a world of difference when a selfbow or backed wood bow is made by someone who has made hundreds of them. Joe Don Jones is one of those rare bowyers.

Offhand I can only think of only four selfbow bowyers who qualify as masterful and make bows for sale; John Strunk, Jim Rempp, Gerald Welch and Joe Don. I think there would be more selfbow and backed wood bow makers if they were easy to make. They're not, at least not outstanding examples.

When Joe Don stopped making bows it left a gap that no one else came along to fill. No one to my knowledge has as much experience with osage as Joe Don. I have no idea how many selfbows and backed bows he's made, but shooting one of his bows makes it very clear that his understanding of and ability with osage is something special. I have three bows from JD. The first one was a Phenom made in 2002. It's a reflex/deflex bamboo backed 64" longbow. The only other bamboo backed bow I own that is in the same masterful category was made by Dean Torges. Joe Don also makes recurves, statics, English longbows, reflex/deflex and selfbows, of course. Bamboo backing is offered.

I understand that there's a certain amount of caution on the part of some hunting archers regarding the durability of selfbows and their backed counterparts. That 16 year old bamboo backed osage Phenom that JD made for me still has the same profile and still shoots just as hard. It's lost nothing in all those years and it's still rock solid. It will out live me.

If you've never shot a selfbow or backed wood bow, you really owe it to yourself to get hold of a great example of one and see what you think, and with Joe Don back in the mix your choices are far greater.

Below are pictures of my 16 year old Phenom.

Online nineworlds9

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Bowyer Joe Don Jones is BACK!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:13:00 PM »
Bob, your taste in bows is impeccable.  I agree with you there is something truly special about a selfbow or backed/laminated wood bow crafted at the peak of artistic endeavor.  THAT bow is a beauty and by the look of that lovely crescent, a shooter!  That one reminds me a lot of the Strunk Bamboo Spirit I owned for a spell.  Shot as good as any glass bow.
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Stalker Coyote
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
66" Mohawk Sparrowhawk
66" Northern Mist Skanee

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Joe2Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »
Do you know how to contact him? thanks, Jeff

Online tippit

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
I agree that JD made some of the best selfbows out there and now is Back. I have at least a 1/2 dozen of his old bows....still going strong.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline The Nocking Point

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 08:58:00 PM »
Good as it gets,will probably end up with one!
Terry
The Nocking Point
  Like us on Facebook
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 09:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Joe2Crow:
Do you know how to contact him? thanks, Jeff
Hey Jeff.JD has been working on a website, but he's changed the name to Pinnacle Selfbows instead of Genesis Bows.

Online pdk25

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »
And the beauty of it is, he lives around 5 minutes from where I work, lol.

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »
Wow, I'm not worthy. That you Bob Moon for the great story.

JD

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
Times are different than they were in 1997. Not as many interested in selfbows.

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 04:16:00 AM »
I have a Phenom from 2003, that still shoots just as hard as the day I got it.  J.D. do you mean there are not as many people interested in selfbows now or in 1997?
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »
Yes Dan now. Maybe it's just me.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
The traditional archery community is a subculture within the overall archery community. The selfbow community, and there definitely is one, is a subculture within a subculture.

When there's little or no selfbow posts on Trad Gang, interest in selfbows can fall off very quickly. There was a time on TG when there was a lot more selfbow threads, but some of the biggest contributors to those threads stopped posting for one reason of another.

I'll try to post more threads about selfbows and pictures of my collection.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 12:04:00 PM »
JD, we found the same thing when the economy was suffering fewer people wanted "all natural" bows.  Seems they would have one bow and not have the selfbow or backed bow for shooting another class.

Hopefully, it's picked back up.

Mike

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »
Selfbows have been #1 in my book for 20 years. They're all I've hunted with, with an occasional sinew backed bow thrown in for good measure. I like making bamboo backed bows, trilams, and such, even a glass bow once in a while, too... but when it comes to quality time in the woods or on the range, 99 times out of 100, I'm carrying a selfbow. I just love em, and don't need anything more... or less    ;)

Offline NYRON

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
JD, one of my biggest bow regrets is selling an osage character bow that I bought from you at the McAlester, OK shoot in 1995.

It had a knot and small hole in upper limb. Looked and shot great!

Glad to hear you are back at it.
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 01:42:00 PM »
Yes Ron, I've heard that story often. I've sold some of my special bows to regret it later. At one time I had a good collection of Torges bows, just have a few now.

Online Iowa Tom L.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
Bob or JD,

Is the center lamination in the riser area of the Phenom purpleheart, walnut, or something else?

Thank You,

Tom

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 04:28:00 PM »
It's either masaraduba or walnut. Never use purple heart. Also could be Wenge.
JD

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 04:40:00 PM »
Gotta admit, I never shot a self bow that I felt even came close to a glass lam bow. Until I got my hands on a Tim Williams boo backed Osage longbow. Simply blew me away.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online Bisch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 04:40:00 PM »
I had never heard of Joe Don, but totally agree with you that an all wood bow built by a bowyer who knows what he is doing is a fine piece of equipment for sure!!!! I have a bamboo backed bow with ipe and Osage laminations built by Lonnie Dye here in Texas, and I would rank it as good a bow as any of my glass bows!!!! I also own a selfbow built by Arvin Weaver here in Texas. His bows have won multiple Selfbow World Championships at the IBO Trad World shoots. Just like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones, and you learn to appreciate the good ones when you get a chance to shoot them!

Bisch
Traditional Bowhunters of Texas Life Member
Lone Star Bowhunters Assn Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©