INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Rudderbows  (Read 358 times)

Offline huntryx

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rudderbows
« on: September 21, 2015, 06:06:00 AM »
Over the past year I have been trying to rehab a shoulder after replacement (bow arm) and have bought various low-weight bows (15-20#, 30-35# and 35-40#)to get myself back to my usual 40-45# hunting weight bows. Since getting a new Black Widow at each weight is not affordable for me, I looked around and found Rudderbows. They make hickory self bows, and hickory/bamboo longbows. They make other things as well, but these are the ones with which I am familiar.

Prices go from $40-$150 for a bow depending on where you buy it. Several outlets are available-- I leave it to you to find them. The bows are light, well made and finished, tillered precisely and are quiet accurate shooters. The grip is typically straight for a flatbow, but you can adjust it with a little ingenuity.

I would not hesitate to hunt with one if I needed to do that. It is a lot of "bang" for your buck, and a good starter bow for anyone wanting to try traditional equipment.
NYB Life Member
Compton's Life Member
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The Perfection of Imperfection"

Offline BradinVarina

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rudderbows
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
I just bought a bamboo backed hickory on Amazon that was made by Rudderbow. I added a leather grip and leather arrow plate. The grip is quite thin so if you are used to a "handful" of handle riser this may not work for you. One of the string nocks was a bit rough and needed a file to smooth it up. The bow seems to shoot nicely. It does have a blemish in the hickory belly, a dark piece (a knot?) that goes all the way through the hickory to the bamboo backing. I have only shot less than 100 arrows but that blemish might  be starting to chrysal. I will have to keep an eye on it.

Offline Ouchigan72

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rudderbows
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
I have a hickory self bow by rudderbows. I have nothing bad to say about it so far....shoots well -n- is quiet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©