INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: mcroom custom bow  (Read 2224 times)

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
mcroom custom bow
« on: October 31, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »

So last few weeks I was having another bow itch.  Being a hardcore Hill fan started looking around.  I have several Howard Hill bows, custom sunset hill, dave johnson and few others.  I then visited the Hill bug and see a pic brian posted on Mcbroom  custom bows, that are string follow.  I look around the site and cohldnt believe the price.  So, I pulled the trigger and emailed him.  In 8 minutes brian got back to me on all the info I asked.  I then added what I was looking for, again in 5 minutes he said he just finished one and would add my bow name.  I decided to do it.  I sent him the okay and card info.  There was a slight card issue as being in he was in arizona and me in illinois the bank was protecting my account (good to know).  He said that was limely the problem, and can take money order.  The next day i sent him a money order.  The following day he sent a pic with name on it, this was monday.  Tuesday, he emailed and said it was on the way.  Thursday I got home and there was the bow.
I unpacked it and wow the lines was awesome.  I asked about brace height and nock point in previous email and brian said, "I put a silver mark on serving start there".  I added a nock point to that line, grabbed an arrow, That is the first shot you see in the target from 20 yards, BAM!.  I never had a bow that shot like that out of box.  It is 66" long, 49#@28", the bow draws smooth and it doesnt feel like you are holding that much.  Upon release it is dead quiet, literally my wife was. In mailbox 5' away and heard the next arrow hit target and turned and asked if i shot.
I walked back in garage and grabbed a broadhead cedar arrow, stood at 20 yards and hit same spot, it was like on a rail.  The bow is dead in the hand, there is no handshock, thump or anything.  I dont have a chrono (speed not that important to me), but I would say it is same as other string follow bows.  Sunday will be the first time in woods with it and if critter cooperate, should be an easy baptism.
I will post more on this as the season moves on.  Guys/gals, it takes alot to impress me anymore with a bow, and this one did.  If you are thinking of a Hill style bow email Brian at Mcbroom custom bows or check out his site, you will not be disappointed.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mcroom custom bow
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Jason_L

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mcroom custom bow
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
I've been wanting to pull the trigger on my first custom bow and have been eyeballing these. They look really nice and right in my price range. How are you liking it a couple months later? Do any hunting with it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©