INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Martin Hunter  (Read 447 times)

Offline Frgvn

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Hunter
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I am considering a Martin Hunter for ~ $600.  Anyone have knowledge and/or experience w/ this one ?  I don't have access to a bow to try out.  Would like some input before I spend that kind of $.  Thanks.

Offline Liquid Courage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
It still stands as one of the best factory/mass production one piece recurves on the market as most would agree to. I love mine. Smooth shooting, and the 62" length is nice, most factory recurve bows are 60" or less. Take a look around the forum and sponsors, there are some custom recurve/longbows that are the same price or a little more and you will find reviews on those as well.

Offline Frgvn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Thank you for the information.  Beautiful photo.  Looking at the photo and the photo on the 3R site,  it appears that the riser has a medium wrist grip.  Is that correct ?  I had a couple Hatfields in the 80s and recently had a Nirk Rebel.  The Nirk Rebel craftsmanship and appearance is top notch.  I trust that the Hunter will be much the same.  Any idea why a 59" string is recommended ?  My experience is that the recurve string is going to be 4" shorter than the bow length.  Do you know if it has something to do with the limb or limb tip construction ?  Thanks again.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
You can get a used Howatt Hunter like mine for around 200 dollars, maybe a bit more for a phenolic tipped one...may not be as pretty as the Blacktail but it will shoot right there with it

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Frgvn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
I do like the phenolic tipped limb.  The $ difference though, new to used, is an eye opener.  I am curious how an older model would compare to 2014 model in looks, quality, and function.  My Hatfields from the 80s, to my eye and feel, were not as "nice" as the Martin Nirk Rebel that I bought on 2012 or so.  Any observations you can share ?

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
As above, probably the best and longest running production recurve ever. IMO they are the Win model 70 of recurves. That being said, I would not pay $600 for a Martin Hunter. My early 90's laminated riser identical to Dave's cost me about $150 about 10yrs ago. If I had my choice, I'd look for a 60's or 70's vintage Howatt Hunter with a rosewood riser, although they bring more money. They are all fantastic shooters however, it's just that the earlier ones are a little prettier. Check Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear - they usually have a couple on their used bow list.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Frgvn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Looked at Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear.  Thanks for the tip.  I shoot left handed so I have less to choose from. Looking at a a listed Hunter, ID # HHP3087.  Can't tell the year or type of wood.  I have emailed RMS asking for that info and about the condition of the bow.  If I buy from RMS and I don't care for the condition of the bow, I wonder what their policy is on a return.  I didn't dig too deep on the site but I did not see any comments about the policy.  Any knowledge on that ?  Thanks.

Online tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
I believe they will give you 7 days to confirm you like it...pretty good..

Offline Frgvn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  That does sound pretty good.  I'll see if they will confirm.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©