INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Rivers West Clothing  (Read 184 times)

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
Rivers West Clothing
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Has anyone used any of their clothing.  They claim that it is warm and dry without being too bulky.  Sounds like a good combo to me.  Any thoughts?
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline whodat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rivers West Clothing
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
go to outdoorsdirectory.com
click on forums
it's under Alaska hunting, about 12 pages back.
The post is " my penninsula rain gear test"

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »
I looked but couldn't find it.  Were you pleased with the gear or is it more complicated than that.

Maybe you can link me to it?

Offline whodat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my 06' Alaska Peninsula moose hunt, I brought three (3) sets of rain gear: Helly Hanson Impertech, Rivers West H2O and Cloud Vail's fly fishing jacket. I used my goretex waders as pants, almost every single day (These are a must have), and coupled those with hiking boots. It rained hard every day. We had winds over 70mph (crushed our Alaska Bomb shelter one night), on the worst day, but every day it blew at least 20mph, with non-stop 24hr/day rain; just SHEETS of it. Never quiet experienced rain like that!

First, The helly Hanson Impertech was close to perfect. It kept me bone dry, and when coupled with the right fleece was warm as toast. It dried about 80% at night while hanging in the tent, yet the inside of the jacket never seemed damp when I slipped it on in the early dawn. I would not go to the Peninsula on a "Bivy" hunt without this stuff. PERIOD.
As far as tough, I tore through alders and brush, and it never ripped (although I did tear off two buttons while hauling meat; pack strap snapped them off while I was loading the pack on my back).

Second, the Cloud Veil Jacket with the new Goretex-XCR. Awesome jacket! This is the best hood/cuff design I've ever used. The zippers are created with tight rubber fittings, thus you stay bone dry. The inside is taped like nothing I've seen before; very heavy and sturdy seam tapes. I would rank this as good as the helly, probably better, if it just dried better in our damp tent. The inside only dried about 60%. I was not wet, just lightly damp. Thus it seemed a tad damp when I slipped it on.

Again, a bivy hunt is alot different then coming home to a cabin. I really enjoyed the neoprene cuffs while I was glassing; no water down my sleeves. It is a tough lite jacket, taking all the abuse I could give it. Not a tear, rip or button missing. Cloud Veil warranty is like Simms; send it back and they replace it free. It's a pricey jacket. I'll take this year again. BTW, it is cut trim in the chest, thus I bought a XXL for my 44 inch chest (34" waist) frame. That gave me plenty of room to layer and room to move while packing. Time will tell if it stays waterproof.

Third, the Rivers West H20. If you're a bivy hunter, and don't like to start fires in your area (to dry gear), stay away from this stuff. It was great the first day, but it was dangerously wet every morning. We could not get this gear to dry in our tent. I mean it stayed WET, inside and out. We were hit by an weak typhoon while we were there. IF this would have been my only rain gear, I'm not so sure I would be here to type this letter. I can't believe Eastman's Magazine endorses this stuff as the "Driest Grear" they have ever used; THEY SURE HAVE NEVER USED IT ON THE PENINSULA. I will say that I'll think twice about buying a product that Eastman endorses again. Then again, I just may be tough on gear. If your hunting from a warm cabin, and can dry it out by a fire, then probably no problem. If your camping in wet weather, leave it at home. It was toasty warm when it was dry, yet I only experienced that in the airport.

Very best,
Todd

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Todd,

Thank you for your response.  That was very informative.  The stuff seemed too good to be true for the price and I guess that was a correct assumption.  That's why I really like this forum, honest answers from people who really use things.

Greg

Offline whodat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 06:40:00 PM »
Greg,

I'm the messenger, not the author. Try to follow the instructions again to the link provided. You'll find some very honest equipment reviews from non sponsored individuals(mouthpieces). Especially on boots, packs, and outdoor gear from those that actually use them in the most extreme enviroments. Once again:
outdoorsdirectory.com
click on forums (LH side of page) and scroll down.

Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2020 ~ Trad Gang.com ©