INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Robertson vision takedown, broke down  (Read 899 times)

Offline 7eyes

• Trad Bowhunter
Robertson vision takedown, broke down
« on: January 28, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
Recently bought a second hand Robertson t/d longbow that was in excellent condition. The orginal owner said he did not shoot it much and I believe him. The bow broke in my face within two weeks of owning it. Turns out Robertson used #8 screws in his takedown/brakedown bows around the year 2000. They tend to sheer off with load and Dick is not warranting his engineering flaw. So, beware of the Robertson Connection!    Can't figure out how to post the pics. email for pics.

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Robertson vision takedown, broke down
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
are #8 screws different to what is being used on the connexion hinge these days?

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 03:11:00 AM »
wow, I have never heard of this before. I was always told that Dick was a heck of a guy to work with. That news.

Offline 7eyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:13:00 PM »
Dick says he switched to #10 screws because it had happened before. He said he could fix it for $200 + shipping. The limbs are fine. I received some bruises.

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »
glad to know that you was not hurt too badly. Could of been a whole lot worse. Kind of wonder why he would charge so much to fix. I guess it does cost a lot for the hardware and he does have to be pretty percise. I don't know. You are the second owner though right? He really doesn't have to warrant any reason to charge you less if you are, I know that sounds bad but I think that is what he is thinking also.
Chris Kiefner

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
7 I don't think that design for a take down did not last long because of flaws.
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
I think if he built it and knows it was flawed then even though its 2nd hand etc. he should stand behind it, its a flaw in design not abuse.JMO
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline DesertDude

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »
Wow glad to hear you are ok dude. as for not fixin it.  just like the recalls on cars, if the maker knows it has a flaw, he should recall all of them, and fix them before someone really gets hurt bad.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Online Danny Rowan

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 06:19:00 AM »
Robertson still uses the connection hinge. As for the damage, If it is a used bow then the bowyer does not have to honor any warranty, plus it is probably over 7 years old.However, if it was a known defect he should have recalled all of them he made using those screws. Glad you were not hurt anymore than you were. I would let him fix it, up to you, I know $200 is not just a little money to some but at least you would have a bow that was fixed by the bowyer. Did you send him pics of the damage?

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Robertson! You need to fix it for the simple reason, that it was not done right the first time.........

Online Ghostman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
I won't go into all the details but I had a similar experience with Dick Robertson several years back. He's another bowyer I'll never deal with again or ever own another of his bows.

Offline DesertDude

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
You now how certin things get deep under your skin...this is one. someone could get really hurt. I don't want to see another TradGanger or anyone else get hurt. We need to get the word out. This is bad for archery, not to mention I see "Lawsuit" if someone gets hurt.  Nothing good can come from this.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline 7eyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I sent Dick pictures and explained the excellent condition of the bow and he told me he new of the problem, but he has not put out a WARNING. So, this is what I'm doing, thanks to this website... Fred Bear had a patent on this design years ago. I guess the patent ran out. Or Fred realized it has flaws. I have apprehensions of using even #10 screws with this hinge. When I first saw the connexion hinge under leather grip, I envisioned at least #10 or #12 screw, being a common sense builder myself (carpenter). After thinking about it, and hands on experience, I would recommend knurled pin. Not a screw. One of screws on this failed hinge may have been snapped when originally installed. Thank you for your attention fellow archers.

Offline DesertDude

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
what part of calif?
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline 7eyes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 02:11:00 AM »
Too The Top >>>-------------->

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Plain as day that the design failed. To bad  "[dntthnk]"
TGMM

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
i know that other bowyers are using this design as well.
in particular, the centaur bows.
does anyone know what kind of screws jim is using in his bows? i recall reading somewhere that he was using hardened titanium, but i'm not 100% sure about that.

anyone know?

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
Hmmm.....I have a bow with the hinge....best call the bowyer right now and see what size screws are in it.
tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Its likely NOT the C. Hinge design itself...it is a very strong system and as mentioned above has been around for a long time.  Having checked with an experienced bowyer re this issue I learned the culprit for the bow pictured above is more likely the screw material than the C. Hinge or the screw size.  The metal in the screws may have been too soft for the task (standard or stainless screws aren't recommended...titanium or cap screws are better).  

From what was said above I would be VERY surprised if bows were still being made using those screws so there shouldn't be worries on newer models.  Its an unfortunate episode, sorry to hear of your misfortune, 7eyes.  Hopefully the problem won't recur for other folks with older  bows.  

Terry may be right...best to check with your own  bowyer if you have a concern about your particular bow's construction.

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
What gets me is he admitted he knew there was a problem/flaw with those bows and is basically saying ....  Then offering to fix it and charge you top dollar for it. If he knew there was a design flaw with it, he should fix it reguardless of whether or not your the original owner. How many other people out there are potentially at risk to serious injury and he hasn't, that I'm aware of, issued a warning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©