INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: J D Berry Archery  (Read 356 times)

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
J D Berry Archery
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
Hello my name is Dan Berry, in the 1990s I was a bowyer in a partnership with my brother James. That was the D in J D Berry. I am no longer in the business of making handcrafted longbows, but James still is and as been at it a long time now. He still goes by J D Berry Archery. He does not advertise but stays plenty busy by just word of mouth. So I thought that you old timers here in the Trad. Gang bunch might want to see what he is doing today. If you would like to see is work go to  www.Berrygamecalls.com  once there click on J D Berry bows. For any of the old timers that might remember me I would like to say a big howdy to you.

Offline Kingstaken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: J D Berry Archery
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Dan,
I almost fell of my chair when I saw the heading  "JD Berry Bow".
Glad to see someone else here talking up JD Berry Bows, especially his brother.
Every time I post who has one, I feel like an orphan...    "[dntthnk]"    
I purchased by first one a Yaweh about 13 yrs ago and a Renaissance with arrow inlay and horn tips a couple yrs later.  Both 65 at 27",,,,
I have a couple other longbows, but none are better lQQking or shooting than these two.
I spoke to Jim two weeks ago as I am sending back the Yaweh, (my hunter) to be refinished.. Man I hate to bring it into the woods.
I'll pass these bows down to my kids.
Everyone here should look at them.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 06:59:00 PM »
Hello Jim
     13 years ago, man how time flies. You most likely talk to me on the phone way back then. But we where putting out a lot of bows back then so I just cant recall your name. The bows James is handcrafting now are still beautiful and great shooters. There's no other bow on the market like it and I'm not saying this just because I'm is brother. Its just that he's been at it for such a long time and is truly a master bowyer.                                               I called him and he said yes you called and talked about the Yaweh that you would like to be refinished.
     Take care old friend and happy hunting.
                           Dan Berry

Offline Grampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
I have a J D Berry Apollo longbow which I purchased used.  The bow was in terrible shape.  It had been over drawn and the laminations were separating on belly side of the sight window.  The finish also showed signs of abuse.  I sent to the bow to Don Ward in Seattle and asked him whether the bow was worth saving.  He said that it was, and that he could return the bow to a working condition.  I asked him to proceed.  Six months later, Don  finished the bow and returned it to me.  The bow is beautiful.  Don is an artist.  He does all of his refinishing and restoration work by hand.  The bow has back and belly laminations of bacote with white horn tips.  There are at least 6 separate limb laminations between the back and belly laminations.  The colors complement and contrast.  The riser is made of multiple pieces and has wood inlays.  The   grip is very small, probably made for a woman's hand.  I have wrapped the grip with multiple layers of elk leather to increase the grip seize. Don assured me that the bow is sound and can be shot without fear of explosion.  Because the bow is so beautiful and unique, I have it hanging above the mantel of my fire place.  Over the years, I have owned probably 30 bows.  The Apollo is special.  The Apollo is truly a master work of the boyer's art.  For beauty and grace, there is nothing that I have seen that competes.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »
Shot one of the Berry Longbows years ago.....really nice let me tell ya.
tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Online The Whittler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
I have a JD Berry Yaweh, 64" 64#@28". I can't remember how long I have had this bow, I think I bought it when they did an interview with them in Trad Bowhunting mag., it took a year to get it but it was worth the wait. It is a very nice LB (11 diff. kinds of woods), but I am just going to have to give him a call and see if I can have some weight shaved off, if not then it might be for sale. Alan

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
I had a JD Berry Pit Viper.  A great shooting bow.  One of the ones I should have held on to.  There was a really great article about the JD Berry bows in Traditional Bowhunter.  Sounded like a great deal of thought had went into the wood lam. mix that went into the limbs.  Real nice grip too.
TAKE A CHILD INTO THE OUTDOORS!!

Offline Mike Gerardi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Dan ,
    All of my bows..All 9 of them were made by your brother.  They are sweet shooters. Anyone who has not tried them should... They are fast,quit, and have no hand shock.  My new recurve shoots flat at 40 yds. It is 60# @ 28.  Great stuff.
   Mike .G.

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Hey Dan, Dave Young here. I still have a Yaweh at 63# and that sweet black walnut bow at 55# that you built for me. Killed deer with both and Elk and Bear with the 63#. Check this out, I was at the TRAD. shoot in Moses lake last weekend and there was a great guy there with a chronogragh. Shot the 55# with 525 gr. arrow at 188 fps. that's pretty damd good. Hadn't shot the bow in a couple of years and it was like I never put it down. If any one is looking for a one oiece that's silky smooth with great cast, these are awsome longbows.

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
Dan, This is so strange. Yesterday was the first time I viewed this forum. Today I traded for a JD Berry Apollo 64"AMO 60#@28. It has a cocobolo riser and limb tips with bacote vaneers. Too many limb cores to list! It is the most beautiful and well crafted bow I have ever had the pleasure of owning! I have owned & shot many recurves & longbows but this one blows them all away. I will never sell this one! It shoots faster than many recurves I have owned and all the longbows i have had the pleasure of shooting. It os sooo smooth to draw with no hand shock and very quiet! I can't say enough about this bow. We all search for that one bow that fits like glove that you don't want to put down. This must be one of the best kept secrets in archery. If anyone has'nt tried one they are well worth the price. Dan tell James I got it second hand but I'm glad I got it! Thanks for a great bow.  Bruce S. (Texas)
-Leonard-

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Just seen your post Bruce, glad you like it and I will let James no. Happy hunting. Dan

Offline rich tiberio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
dan berry,long story about my yawah, a friend of mine who owns and archery store ordered a 58''yawah  special order some years ago. I am a regular in the store and saw his bow. He told me he just bought it back from someone who he sold it to. I would go into the store and shoot the bow on a  regular basis and shot the bow extremly well everytime i went into the store, i could not believe the groups i shot. After a while i figured it had to be the bow and it was, the yawah is some shooter, fast, smooth,   and a very forgiving bow. Sure enough i went on **** and found one 62'' 59 lbs, i shoot it great, i am a bear collector and have shot owned almost every bow, although not many  longbows but this bow i would not sell. If the new ones shoot as well as the old ones which i have no reason to believe they wouldn't then this is the bow to buy. A friend of mine has shot my yawah and he wants to buy it from me. If you like long bows this is the bow for you...graylingdeerslayer.

Offline rich tiberio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
wrong spelling yawek, not yawak, didn't have my glasses on, graylingdeerslayer

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
I've got the Yaweh that you made for Paul Brunner that has his warthog ivory in the handle. You made mine first and it came out to light so you had enough ivory to make him another one. It is a very beautiful bow and shoots great but now that I shoot a recurve most of them time it sits on my wall.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I have a JD Berry Appolo-What a sweet Bow!!  The craftsmanship is top notch. The speed and the cast, excellent. JD is absolutely exceelent to deal with. I have another one on order, and probably will get another one!!

Karim

Offline PONG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I had a serpentine that I gave to an online friend in Canada who hunts traditional only.
He was more deserving than I of such an excellent long bow.
I loved that bow and it was definitely the best I ever did shoot.
I'm just a recurve shooter I guess.

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
I had james make me 66" taipan  back in february. the bow is a dream come true. its amamzing. the beauty it posses is unmatched. and the way it shoots is to die for. me and james still keep in touch, and he is the nicest guy/bowyer i have ever had the pleasure of speaking with. this man knows archery, and i view him like i would a mad scientist. if you are even considering purchaseing one of these bows just call james. i have never had a bow like this, and i have had alot of bows. quiet, fast, smooth, and just beautiful. he hit the nail on the mark. you will not be dissapointed.
i have not even looked at another bow since i had this one made. unless it was another berry.
he has my loyalty

Online TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
I bought a Taipan from a fellow Tradganger a short time ago and it is some of the best money ever spent.

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 12:28:00 AM »
i picked up an old yaweh on tradgang this fall,
no handshock,quiet and accurate,nice craftsmanship! 62" 55#@26

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
My Yaweh is 64" 58# and a shooting machine...I have been shooting a 60" longbow for years but really like the skinny limbs and fancy woodworking of this bow.  I also shaped the grip until it is a lot like my Shrew...so now I like it even more...  :)   Funny thing is that my first custom longbow was one James made a very long time ago.
Great bows!
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©