INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: American Leather s Glove  (Read 290 times)

Online Kingstaken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
American Leather s Glove
« on: January 12, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
I picked up an American Leathers Shooting Glove from 3 Rivers.  It reminded me of the one I used to see Hill use in his movies.
I had just gotten a heavier bow and wanted to protect the fingers alil more than with what I had. I've been reading more and more stories about guys who while shooting quite often are doing nerve damage by not using a proper glove.
When I first got it and put it on I said to mayself "How the hell am I going to shoot with this glove". It fely thick and bulky around the fingers and at size Large barely made it over my fingers".  Don't dirty it Jim I said to myself cause it going back.
Well it's funny how you can't just a glove by first feel and impressions.
The glove after about 50 arrows or so has almost broken in perfectly.  Even shooting my lighter recurve I find I have the same release as my old trusting glove or Buffalo mitt.
It snugs the fingers as not to move.  The length of the extension piece that runs up your wrist is  3 pieces of leather that connect to the wrist wrap at a perfect length.  I've been used to gloves with the elastic pieces that extend up the wrist thinking it would be more fledxible.  Another mistake I learned. Flexibilty is not always a good thing.
As you draw with this glove it snugs up to the fingers each time you draw and release so I find myself know not wasting time adjusting my glove before I shoot each and every time.
Well worth the $30 or so bucks.
Any thoughts?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Online Orion

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: American Leather s Glove
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »
I've been shooting one for three years, the same glove, even though I also bought a back up.  Before that, I used to wear out a glove a year.  Excellent glove.  Price is $40 though, a bit steep, but given its durability, I suppose it's worth that much.  I do wish they made it with a snap closure rather than velcro.  I wear wool and have a wool back pack.  The velcro was catching on to one thing or another all the time.  I finally took the velcro off and put my own snap on.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
I also really like the fit of this glove but a couple of things sort of annoy me. First I must have gotten a second from 3 Rivers. The neoprene insert is an ugly multicolor that looks like a random piece of grandmas wetsuit. I don't mind the cosmetics since I'll sweat it all up in the spring anyway so there was no way I was going to bother with returning it.

Also, the stitching on the back of the fingers is kind of bulky and depending on your type of fletching and how close it is to the nock, the stitched back could rub the fletch when you put your fingers on the string/nock and be noisy (similar to Orion's velcro noise).

For those interested, the Tred Barta glove has nylon pieces on the fingers identical to the Amer Leathers but it is a Berlin style glove with the leather palm.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
I have 3 that I ordered straight from American Leathers.

I sent them a drawing of my hand, and after I received the 1st one, I ordered two more.  I love em!
tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
I am considering buying a new glove soon guys.  Are you all talking about the Big Shot glove or the Traditional?  Also do they have a sizing chart or I take a stab in the dark?  :smileystooges:
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
Big Shot is my preference. And fax them a tracing of your hand to get the fit right.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
I have three of the Big Shot American Leather gloves and have used them for several years now.  I really like the glove -- it's a very comfortable shooting glove.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline penetrator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
love them big shots.only down fall is a little pricey.great glove though.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
Not pricey at all if they last 3 times longer than a cheap glove.
tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
Lost Arra...I had the same experience you had ...their material was just as you said , I thought the same thing ...I not sure if about , but I may do like Terry suggested and try for one custom for my hand. Let me say I love 3 Rivers and I have no complaints , but the glove didnt look like that in the 3 Rivers catolog..infact I have not even shot with it , but maybe 3 arrows...and Im not a happy camper with this glove...sorry guys its just the truth.
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
Lost Arra, you sure you didn't order the "wet shot"??? it is the big shot style glove made for bowfishing....
BD

Offline Mike Gerardi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
You get what you pay for.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
No Big Dog. I've got a Big Shot and I do like shooting with it but it's just not real purty and the stitching on the back of the finger stalls  still bugs me.

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
I just bought a full shot and couldn't be happier I was wearing out a deerskin berlin glove about every 3 months and even took to tying on my nock point instead of using a brass nock but I have been using this for 2 months with no signs of wear.
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline cthorness

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
How do you get a deep hook with the Big Shot? That is my only complaint about this glove.  Otherwise it is just excellent

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
I just ordered a Big Shot direct from American Leathers. It had the multicolored camo (?)neoprene inserts over the knuckles, too, and I don't really care much for the double stitching on the tops of the fingers.

I have to tell you, though, that glove is a winner. I use a deep hook, and I'm all the way to the end of the nylon when I shoot, but I get such a clean release that I had to go up a spine class.

The stalls are very tight when you get the glove, but after two days it fits very well and just keeps getting better.

I'm pleased with the glove so far, but I've only had it a couple of days.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Love the Big Shot.  IMO, the best glove going.  I have two of elk hide and will be ordering up a buffalo hide in the near future...

On my first I sent in a tracing of my hand, and was told it almost perfectly matches the standard Large sized glove. They had one in stock so I had it sent rather than having one made.

When it arrived the stalls were a touch big, so I soaked the glove in hot water and tossed it into the dryer on high heat.  It shrunk to a perfect fit.  Did the same with my backup (picked up off the Classifieds), as well...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©