INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: cari-bow,"snowbird"longbow  (Read 153 times)

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
cari-bow,"snowbird"longbow
« on: December 10, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
well,were to begin? i asked my wife to buy me a new bow for christmas.she agreed without to much of a fight.i had been admiring the cari-bow featherhorns and tundra wolf longbows,and on the web site there was one listed in inventory that met my specs.i placed a call to abe penner,who i found to be a pleasent person to converse and deal with.he informed me that the tundra wolf i was interested in was unavailable but that he had a snowbird model that fell in my spec range.let me say that in no way did abe try a hard sell.my only concern was the grip,myself having very small hands.abe measured the throat and swell and called me back with the information.i felt they were ok,and the wood combo was one of the better performers in my opinion,so i told abe i would take it,inquired about shiping time,was told about 5 working days,it was shiped,11/28/06,arrived,12/05/06,great from canada.the bow arrived in a 4" heavy cardboard tube,with wooden end caps,and hex head screws secureing them,i opened one end,pulled out a heavy bow sock and the bow was wraped in bubble wrap inside the sock.when i finaly extracted it from all the security,i about lost my breath.the bows specs are,62"48# @ 28",goncalo alves {tigerwood} riser,vertical grain red elm belly lams,flat grain red elm back lams,tigerwood,micarta overlays on back of riser,4 tip overlays,tigerwood,micarta,tigerwood    :bigsmyl:        :clapper:    ,micarta.the color is a rich reddesh brown,you can't tell were the limbs stop and the riser starts,and vice versa.suggested brace was 6 3/4 to 7",for me the sweet spot was 7 3/16s,it has a 5" window,cut just past center i think.the shelf and strike plate are beaver tail,and the grip is a locator with a small thumb rest.i have never owned or shot a bow were the web of my hand flowed into the arrow shelf,and you can't tell were one starts and the other stops,this bow for me has the best pointability of any i have ever owned,as a matter of fact when i draw the pressure forces the flesh above the shelf maybe a 32nd".i was concerned with fletching cutting the skin,but after many arrows it has not,to my amazement.this bow has a hint of preload then it pulls consistant smooth to anchor,and upon release the arrow is gone and like in a dreamstate you do not even realize it almost,not a hint of string noise,or vibration,and no handshock,or bow vibration.it has excellent speed,and is not spine critical,i shot,2016s,cut 29 and 30"s,2013s the same,gt 35/55s cut 29" and 1916s cut 28"s with 125,150,and 175 grain combinations.with impressive results at 20 yards.i have not had a chance to use the chronograph,and doubt if i do,the arrows fly faster than i can see so thats good enough for me.so anybody looking to upgrade or just wanting a great looking excellent performing bow from a man who knows how to build one you could do worse.abe penner at cari-bow,has got my attention.thanks abe.regards,robert
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: cari-bow,"snowbird"longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 03:00:00 PM »
HEY ROBERT, YOU'RE DEAD RIGHT. ABE IS ONE FINE CRAFTSMAN AND A REAL DECENT MAN TO BOOT. I BELIEVE HE AND LEON STEWART DISPLAY THE HIGHEST DEGREE OF PURE BOWYERS' ART OF ALL THE BOWS I HAVE OWNED. I PRAY YOU AND YOURS HAVE A JOYOUS CHRISTMASTIDE. IN HIS PEACE, JED
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: cari-bow,"snowbird"longbow
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »
hey jed my brother,i agree with you about the bowyer's art,of "ALL" the bows i've owned,leon stewart,abe penner,mike treadway,and john McCcullough make bows that i dream about at night,not to take away from all the other great bowyers out there,and there are many,it's just that these four have my higest respect when i release an arrow from one of their bows.peace and goodtideings to you and you's during the upcoming hollidays.keep looking up.god bless.robert
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©