INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Sky Archery Rogue r/d longbow  (Read 198 times)

Offline barking mad

• Trad Bowhunter
Sky Archery Rogue r/d longbow
« on: October 19, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
Only recently did I find this great forum. If my writing style is unclear or offensive to anyone, please let me know. English is not my mother tongue. :)  

A few impressions on a bow that I've been shooting for the last five years.

This is a one-piece Rogue longbow by Sky Archery, a company which, sadly, does not exist any more. It is 66" long, pulling 50#@28", or 55#@30", which is what I draw. It's made entirely of maple actionwood, limbs in the autumn brown camo, the riser in brown/grey. Everything is laminated under clear glass which shows the structure of the laminations very nicely. The finish is half-matt. Grip is shaped to a low pistol, which fits my hand very well.

The bow has a rather pronounced reflex-deflex shape. This, without a doubt, explains the performance. It is a fast shooter. I know that everybody's tired of the numbers game but just to  give some sort of an idea, I've shot 520 gr arrows  185fps with my 55#30" draw. 18 strand FF string. BUT, a bow's performance, IMHASO, is not just in the speed. I'll come back to this later.

The draw is smooth, with no noticeable stacking up to 30". Here's a quick graph:

25"-42#

26"-43#

27"-46#

28"-49#

29"-52#

30"-55#

The test was conducted under barely exact and almost scientific conditions with a hand-held bow scale and an arrow with a rubber band for draw length indicator. So take it for what it's worth.

The bow is a pleasure to shoot, with some but's. Being a very highly strained design, the light mass of a single piece longbow does not offer much dampening. Hand shock is not the problem here, the noise could be. Depending on your preferences. Since I don't get to hunt big game on a regular basis, (roe deer and beaver are the largest game animals legally available to bowhunters here) I reasoned on using an arrow weight around 9gr per pound. Just to keep the trajectory a bit flatter for all those small game shots and 3-d shoots. CE Terminator 6075 shafts with screw-on inserts and 125gr points and three 5" die-cut feathers came up to 9.45 grpp. All's well there. The arrow flight is flawless, providing the shooter does his part, and my point-on distance is  55yds/50 meters.

Strapping on a Great Northern bow quiver added mass and dampened the sound a bit. Several string silencers have been tried as well. With some success. Tests using 650gr pine arrows showed a noticeable improvement in the noice sector. Was this bow used for big game only, I guess a 12gr per pound arrow weight would actually make it a very capable and silent hunter. But for arrows that are somewhat average in weight, the TWANGK remains.

All in all, if you're looking for a bow that's whisper quiet with standard weight arrows, look elsewhere. But if you want to have a blazing fast stick for competitions or are willing to load the bow with heavy arrows, this is definitely not a bow without virtues. Just bear in mind that according to IFAA rules, due to the amount of reflex, Sky Rogue is categorised as a recurve and not a longbow.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get my camera-to-pc connections worked out. A tech wizard I am not.

-bm.
-preserved moose-

Offline barking mad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sky Archery Rogue r/d longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »
Here we go, unstrung and strung.

-preserved moose-

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
i had one just like that ,but at55#@28,and 63"long,you are right about the speed its fast,spooky fast, good bow .
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
I've been looking for used Sky bows for sometime, especially his takedown version of the Rogue. Very cool bows, Mr. Hoyt was way ahead of his time. Let me know if you decide you want to sell that one piece you have, it looks like a pristine example.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
That is a beauty. Those bows were the barn burners of their day and aren't slow yet.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Offline barking mad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Thanks all.

JC, there's a guy trying to make up his mind on wether or not to buy this bow from me. Should he decide against it, I'll let you know.

-bm
-preserved moose-

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
Thanks Nikko!

Offline john1271

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
jc, i didnt know he made a take down version of the rouge,man if you find more than one let me know.
black creek banshe 41#@28 60"god bless and have a red letter day...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »
Introduced in 1997 and rare as hens teeth
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
John, what David said. Seen only one and the guy wouldn't sell it...though I offered a silly amount. That was some time ago and you know how your memory can change things, but I still condiser that particular bow the best longbow I've ever shot.

Offline barking mad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 06:12:00 AM »
JC, sent you a pm.

-bm
-preserved moose-

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©