INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: David Oakes "Brush Country Bows"  (Read 169 times)

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
David Oakes "Brush Country Bows"
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »
In the past month I have shot 2 of his bows, his recurve the stalker and his longbow. What I first noted is the heavy antler tip overlays that would rob a bow off performance. Although the recurve was smooth drawing those heavy tips made the bow very shocky. I would not buy one of his bows they where around 50 pounds at my draw. He should shoot some of the other custom bows out there.
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline thehaf2000

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: David Oakes "Brush Country Bows"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »
My buddy just got a stalker. It is short and I would say somewhat quick. The fit and finish was fine-nothing bad to say. The only thing that I do not like about it was the grip. A little
cluncky for me. A grip is personal. You like it or you don't. Overall I liked it but, I think I will stick with my Sarrels.

Offline McK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
LazerRay, are you sure you had the right brace height on the bows?  I have shot several of Davids bows and never noticed handshock.  He
uses dacron strings and typically dacron has a little more vibration than ff and stretches some till its broke in.  I know he sells a lot of bows at traditional shoots where there are quite a few other fine bowyers to compare equipment with...........McK

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »
I shot 2 of his customers bow I don't know what the braceheight was set at
William James

Online Wudstix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »
I have been out to David's shop a couple times.  I own a MOAB that is the best R/D lb I have ever shot.  David makes a longbow and flatbow model that I was impressed with they both shot heavy arrows very well.  Personally did not notice any significant handshock.  They both shot quick and flat.  Was I would have bought one when he first started out, less $$$.    :coffee:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me
++++
"Going to the woods is going home." - John Muir
++++
I have been saved, I will be saved, and I'm currently working towards my salvation--->
++++
60" Big River Recurve 67#@28"              
60" MOAB 62#@27"
60" Big River 21st style 65#@27"
62" Kota Red Elm 72#@28"
PBS - Associate Member; Retired DoD civilian 1985-2019

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 12:40:00 PM »
The guys bow I shot was shooting really light carbons and I have to admit when I saw him again we shot my 520 grain carbons out of his 50# bow. It felt alot nicer
William James

Offline Scotty Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
I was at Brush Country today and tried out the new recurve David recently developed. Sweet. Just sweet. I have one of his longbows and plan to take a lot of pork with it. His number is 210.679.6168. He showed me his shop and the way he crafts his bows. Truly one at a time with attention to detail. David used to make furniture out of mesquite.
I love his bows and plan to pick up one of his new recurves as soon as I can.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©