INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Liberty Chief longbow **UPDATED WITH PICS**  (Read 313 times)

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
Liberty Chief longbow **UPDATED WITH PICS**
« on: August 20, 2006, 03:45:00 AM »
First off I want to say that I am not your die-hard longbow fan. In fact I have been calling myself the world's worst longbow shooter since I started using traditional archery tackle not too long ago. I have tried or owned several longbows from a Blacktail to a Centaur but none of them ever worked out for me personally. I tried the best that I could get my hands on and I just couldn't shoot any of them consistently enough to warrant me holding on to one or hunting with one. That is until I ordered the Chief from Liberty Bows.  

Now I'm not getting paid or anything for this review LOL, but I am the type of guy when he believes in something, wants to let others know about it and give credit where credit is due so other frustrated longbow wannabes like myslef may have a better shot at finding what they are looking for. So here goes....

I ordered my Liberty Chief Elite 64" 52@28" approximately 3 weeks ago. I have ordered several custom bows and I have never gotten one from start to finish in 3 weeks until Allen Boice built this bow for me. So that is a first for me.

The craftsmanship and finish work of this bow are on or above par with any bow I have ever seen. My bow has a Cocobolo riser, Yew limb cores and highly figured Myrtle veneers(which by the way are the best I have ever seen on any bow, recurve or longbow...PERIOD!).In fact, it is hands down the nicest "looking" bow in my collection thus far.

Now for the performance end...

I didn't Chrono any of these, because I don't own one, but I shot CE 45/60's weighing 500 gr., GT 55/75 @ 450 gr., and some POC shafts @ 540gr 61 lb spine, all with 3 5" or 5.5" leftwing shield cut feathers. Let me tell you, this bow was flingin'em hard and fast and wasn't distinctly preferential to any of them. I was putting them in a pie plate size group at will, and most of them in a smaller saucer size group at 20-25 yards! For me this is a MAJOR accomplishment with a longbow.This was all right out of the box I might add without even tuning it. Now I can't take credit for this as much as I would like to, and I know that this sounds like a paid advertisement, but this bow just seems to fit me in every way. It is smooth drawing, whisper quiet,has zero handshock and is deadly accurate. In other words, it is the perfect bow for me. I'm not saying that it will be for everyone out there, because everyone has "their" bow, but I just wanted to let you fellow Gangers out there know that I have found "MY" lonbow, and you may wanna give Liberty bows a look. Outstanding service, great working product,great looking product....and quality made from top to bottom. If you are a frustrated lonbow guy like I was, give Allen Boice a call, I think you will be pleasantly surprised like I was as well!

Mark Kimball

Offline Littlebear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Liberty Chief longbow **UPDATED WITH PICS**
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
Well Mark, I have always preferred longbows to recurves, but I am in the same boat as you are. After years of trying out the "trendy" bows out there, I came across Allen's bows. I really like is English, but his Contender is the bow for me (...as well as my two step sons who have "borrowed"   :)   two of my Contenders!).
Allen is a top notch craftsman and a great guy on top of it.
Our #60 and #62 66" Contenders fling 760gr Grizzlisticks and taperred maple arrows with authority, but in near silence. This is especially impressive at the indoor range.
If I recall correctly, Allen harvests his own yew and myttle woods... I have yet to hear any negative comment about the bowyer or his bows.
They are also quite rare in the classifieds and most of the time, one Liberty will be sold to finance the purchase of another one!

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »
Yeah he is a real nice guy,....real laid-back and doesn't brag about his bows either. I think he knows that a great product speaks for itself. I told him that I am ready to order another one as a backup for the one I just got. I will probably end up having him make me one of each eventually. I haven't shot either of his other two bows, but I bet they are nice though.

How is the Contender when it comes to handshock??

Thanks, Mark

Offline Littlebear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
I might not be the best archer to ask about handshock: I can shoot Hill longbows and not have an issue with it. To me, the Contender is very comfortable to shoot.

Offline White Ape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Well, I'll throw my two cents into the pot. I really like my "Liberty Longbows". My 12yr old son has a 'Contender', and I have owned 5 of Allen's bows over the years. The only reason I sold any of them was to up-grade to another of his bows. I now own an 'English Elite" and a "Chief". They are, and have been the nicest, quietest, and most forgiving bows that I have shot. Plus the crafmanship is super. I won't shoot anything else. My boy sold his two recurves as he likes his "Liberty Bow" so much. We won't own anything else. And even better, Allen is a friend of mine. Enjoy one of the best.
Raymond W. Hamilton

Offline White Ape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »
I want to appologize about not sticking to the topic of discussion. I was so busy rambling on about "Liberty Longbows" that I forgot the topic "Liberty Chief Longbow". Well, I bought mine just before the NALS and shot it there and at the "Pope Young" shoot this year. It is a great shooting bow, no question. When I shot the animal 3-D rounds it not only shot flat and fast, but when it hit the targets , it not only hit with authority but made every target rock it hit so hard. I remember the coments of the other archers about it rocking the targets. The "Chief is definately a hunters bow and a great all around longbow.
Raymond W. Hamilton

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
Deer Slayer,

In my opinion the character of the Bowyer is even more important than the bow he makes. Allen has ethics and is a 'stand up' guy.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
Shifting Shadow, I agree the character of a man is very important, and Allen made good on everything he said he would and then some. But I also know , that if the bow or any product a man creates doesn't perform, then the best of intentions and charcter won't really matter at the moment of truth. Luckily for us, we get BOTH quality AND charcter in our Liberty Bows and the man who builds them...Allen Boice!

I haven't touched my curves since I got the Chief (funny since those were ALL I could shoot well before Allen sent me this bow) and I have another Chief on order with Allen as a backup...slightly heavier poundage but in same dimensions....Macassar riser,boo cores and tiger stripe mrytle veneers.Not sure the Tiger stripe myrtle will stand up to Allen's highly figured mrytle in the looks dept., but he suggested it, just to do something a little different and I trust him 100%.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »
Amen to all of the above.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 01:34:00 AM »
You are gonna love that tiger striped myrtle deer slayer.Its his best veneer.Its outragous!Love those Chief Elites.Peace

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »
And wheres the pics? HHHMMMMM! If ya like email them to me and I'll post them for ya. I am sure lots of people would love pics.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »
Frank I will try and take some soon. I have been out of commission for the past 9 days trying to pass a kidney stone.Can't do much of anything right now. I will git'r done, but it may take a bit. Trust me that bow is a LOOKER fellas as well as a SHOOTER!  :)

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 11:06:00 AM »
here ya go Deer Slayer. Nice looking bow.<><      
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks Frank! Your help is much appreciated! I'm a computer moron when it comes to this stuff!Thanks again.

Mark

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »
Yep they look perfect and shoot better than they look!!!

We have two in our family.  :D
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
Firstarrow, you know,I like a purty bow as much as the next guy, but we all know pretty is as pretty does. The one thing that every Liberty longbow shooter I have yet to come across always seems to chime in about, is how well they shoot. That is what really sold me on Allen's Chief model. I couldn't believe that I...(probably ranked up in the top 5 of the worlds worst longbow shooters)can shoot this bow as well as my recurves or even better for that matter!lol

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 07:54:00 AM »
Wow, love those veneers!
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©