INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Simmons "Washer Sharpener"  (Read 1227 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons "Washer Sharpener"
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »
I went to get one (on the internet) and all they take is MC and Visa (I use Discover) - ran into that a couple times recently. Companies need to discover Discover - LOL. Wally world has put them in most everyones pocket. Now I gotta figure out how else to order one, dad-burn it! I didn't see a mailorder option, gonna look again or send an e-mail I guess. I feel soooo "rejected"   "[laffsmyl]"
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
Ha - when you click to send an e-mail, after you finish and send it , then it flashes a contact page that has phone numbers and snail mail address - LOL. I'll wait and see what I get for an answer first though.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
Why is their shipping so much?  I can't believe that it costs $8 for a $6.95, 3oz. item?  $2-4 would be understandable but, the cost doubles with the shipping. Did you all pay that much, or am I doing something wrong?
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by BaldingEagle:
Why is their shipping so much?  I can't believe that it costs $8 for a $6.95, 3oz. item?  $2-4 would be understandable but, the cost doubles with the shipping. Did you all pay that much, or am I doing something wrong?
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
All S&H fees have gone up drastically everywhere (like all things) and it costs them about as much to "handle" a small thing as a big one. So they spread it out over the spectrum. One of the problems with mail order (and the internet). S&H will be the same on my mail order they just messaged me on how to send them - FWIW. I will send it out tomorrow just the same. Yesterday I ordered a little, folding, tent fly pole replacement from another company, and it was the same thing - almost doubled the price.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
I honestly didn't notice because I bought 3 of them and some broadheads when I ordered.

Looks like shaft slinger likes his too....anyone NOT like it yet?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »
I didn't say anything about this before but we still have one from my late Ma's house that I remember her using when I was a kid. It is kind of a wheelie thing too - but wider wheels or more stacked together. Anyway, it worked too, and it is all my wife uses on her kitchen knives. It (of course) doesn't work as good as it did when I was young, but Rose doesn't like her knives too sharp anyway. The point is this new one (because of my experience with the old one) seems like a plan to me right from the git-go. I can't imagine I won't like it - if it is even half as good as the old one.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2006, 01:54:00 PM »
JC- I bought one after reading this thread and I now have no hair on my arms or legs do to testing out the sharpness of my broadheads.

It is amazing how sharp I can get my 2 blade and 3 blade broadheads using the Washer Sharpener.

Thanks for posting about it!
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2006, 02:19:00 PM »
Got mine in today, JC (thanks Simmons) any last minute tips before I mess everything up -   :D

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »
Bern, just take a few strokes at a time, angle it a bit more than you think you need to and it'll be scaring you...or, forgive the pun, scarring....in no time.

Glad to hear that Glenn! So far, I've yet to hear anyone who couldn't make it work.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Am I gonna sound dumb if I ask, Angle it in which/what direction? Front to back or side to side?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2006, 07:18:00 AM »
Bernie, see pics on the first page of this thread. Front to back angle: You want the tip of the head to be down a bit, towards the table, instead of the blade angle being parallel to the ground. Pull from back to front, blade perfectly centered and vertical in the wheels (I use the "V" notch at the base as an aimer), no side to side angle. Most guys go wrong by not tilting the point down far enough and trying to hold it perfectly flat.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »
Ah, that makes sense - thanks, JC. See, there is the good ol' memory again - I forgot all about the very good pics at the beginning. Heck, that was a whole three weeks ago   ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »
Glen,
Which 3 blade heads have you tried it on?
John

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »
Purchased one too! I hope it will work as good as you guys think.

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »
John --

I sharpened my Wensel Woodsmans on it but that was mainly a final touch up after using the Charlie lamb sharpening method.

Didn't seem to change the edge on them cause they shaved hair after about 5 strokes per blade.
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline Axe Thrower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2006, 10:43:00 PM »
Okay JC. I am a simmons shooter (interseptors, land sharks, tiger sharks) and have been having problems sharpening.  I tried the wheel sharpener and got them some what sharp.  Some of the edges would slitely catch the skin on my finger.  Are they suppose to be so sharp that they cause you to get a bandaide.  What do you think I am doing wrong?

Doug

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »
Mine sure sharpened my pocket knives - without seeming to be doing much while I was at it - LOL. I haven't had to use it on my BHs yet.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »
Doug, from my experience with these, the key is the angle you hold the blade, tip to back. Since the Simmons blade is curved, and the angle therefore changes as you pull the head through, you've just got to play with it to find the right angle for each part of the blade. Check the pics at the beginning of this thread, might help a bit.

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »
Well, I finally put in an order.  Went in with another friend who is new to resharpenable heads and we split the shipping.  This kept the "inexpensive" sharpener at a reasonable price.  I like the look of the Sharks, too - but have too many broadheads now that still have not been shot at deer.
Thanks for all the info.  Will let you know how mine works when I receive it.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©