INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 21st Century Longbow  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 21st Century Longbow
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
I feel like,If you know someone treats others badly on the regular basis,its not a qustion of IF they will treat me the same way-Its a question of WHEN.I dont know the guy,but this doesn't sound like just one or two bad deals.So I cant see risking it.
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline robert garcia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
A few years ago I was in the market for a new custom bow, I was up in the area so I thought I'd drop by and check out 21st century. I called and he said he'd be in the shop all afternoon, I got there within the hour but he treated me like I was wasting his time from hello.I had a Buddy and Jim Nova and loved it, but had to sell a few bows last xmas...should've kept it because I'll never own a calloway.
"We're in the spirit world....
they can't see us."

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
Well, since you bring it up; I shot mine day before yesterday and never had a problem in all these years. It's nice looking/winning design, light, fast, stable, quiet, shooter.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
i've heard some good and some not so good things about 21st century bows since jim and buddy left.  i've had 3 of the j&b bows and all were superb in every way.  no question, just looking at the current 21st website leaves SO much to be desired, what a mess ... buyer, beware.
IAM  ~  Black Powder Gang  ~  TANJ  ~  NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
My experience was mixed at best. I do so like the way the bow shoots, but the finish has proved quite mediocre over time, chipping and flaking, and now I'm having problems with the glass (starting to have opaque areas underneath, between glass and corewood). I bought it in 2006, but maybe shot it 15-20 times since I moved away from the range and commute by motorcycle with another T/D. And when I dealt with Milton via email, he was not the nicest I've met in our Trad community. With all the choices we have, I wouldn't buy it again. I'd go for a Fox instead.
Marco

Offline tyu888

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I own one made by Jim & Buddy.  It is very accurate and I love it...
Black Widow PLX-Osage 66" #41
21St Century by Jim & Buddy 66" #43
Diamond Black Ice Compound 60#
Damon Howatt Freedom 60" #40

Offline PERUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Hi guys, I realized bows are good, the bad owner.
Perun hybrid 62" 60#@29"

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
I've dealt with Milton and have no issues whatsoever. He's been 100% fantastic for me.... My bow is awesome...

Dewayne
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline AdAstraAiroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
I had a four distinct problems with my 2009 21st Century Edge Carbon.  Most significant was the fact that the bow showed obvious reflex at brace height when it was supposed to be completely D shaped at brace. The finish began wearing off at the grip, and showing vertical stress lines in the finish on belly side within hours of use. Finally, I was shocked at the level of actual flex I could feel in the riser at the grip while drawing. Also, there was a subtle creaking noise in the riser near full draw that would come and go. It was not in the string or arrows, but within the riser, and was more significant in colder weather.

As another TGer said so well, there are so many other better choices in our community.  I personally ordered a Triple Crown longbow from Ron King of Fox Archery in Oregon.

Mark

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
folks?...i read this thread before..and it kinda shocked me cause about 20 years ago a compound bud of mine spent right around $500 on a custom ordered 21st..i thought him crazy..until he got the bow and let me shoot it..and i also read this thread right before buying this one slightly used about 4 hours ago..

milton made it maybe 6 months ago for a feller who claimed he didn't gel with it and off'ed it to a bud of mine who until 4hrs ago?..had two of miltons 21st centurys..we both shot the heck outta this one and i just hadta have it...it's looks to me is stellar..fit and finish?..maybe a tad run of the mill side (if ya get real finiscky with some 3.0 readers LOL!)but all of that goes away when i shoot it..the bow flat out preforms...to me?..it's everything a longbow is supposed to be..extremely smooth, stable and silent..and right now i'm thinking..ya know..sometimes folks suffer through some bad spots in their life..and please understand i'm not condoning mistreatment of customers in any way..but i try to put myself in others shoes when they ain't act'in right and try to figure out why..then?..help them if i can..and i for one can't imagine what sort of pressure both Jim and Buddy annnnd?..Mr. Calloway is under..let's face it..as far as bowyering goes?..can anyone here imagin what a hard act to follow Jim & Buddy musta been for Mr. Calloway?..as then tradgedy stikes and the future of the company falls on the shoulders of Milton?..to uphold impeccable standards that two men established?..then an army of disgruntled customers that were spoiled rotten with super high expectations?..as i begin to think..poor milton..i'd of been getting a touch on the moody side as well..and maybe Milty here has heard your cries and up'ed his game..this bow was owned by two archers before me..and the one that sold it to me only did so on the condition that if i ever go to off it that he gets first crack at buying it back..i dunno..guess i'm just rambling now..but i know his..he ain't never get'in it back..cause i'm shooting this sweet black beauty until i die or it does and i'd buy it again any day of the week..and the amazing part?..the new 21st bows cost about the same today as they did 20 years ago..i'm amazed. L8R, Bill.
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline dragonheart

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by JINKSTER:
folks?...i read this thread before..and it kinda shocked me cause about 20 years ago a compound bud of mine spent right around $500 on a custom ordered 21st..i thought him crazy..until he got the bow and let me shoot it..and i also read this thread right before buying this one slightly used about 4 hours ago..

milton made it maybe 6 months ago for a feller who claimed he didn't gel with it and off'ed it to a bud of mine who until 4hrs ago?..had two of miltons 21st centurys..we both shot the heck outta this one and i just hadta have it...it's looks to me is stellar..fit and finish?..maybe a tad run of the mill side (if ya get real finiscky with some 3.0 readers LOL!)but all of that goes away when i shoot it..the bow flat out preforms...to me?..it's everything a longbow is supposed to be..extremely smooth, stable and silent..and right now i'm thinking..ya know..sometimes folks suffer through some bad spots in their life..and please understand i'm not condoning mistreatment of customers in any way..but i try to put myself in others shoes when they ain't act'in right and try to figure out why..then?..help them if i can..and i for one can't imagine what sort of pressure both Jim and Buddy annnnd?..Mr. Calloway is under..let's face it..as far as bowyering goes?..can anyone here imagin what a hard act to follow Jim & Buddy musta been for Mr. Calloway?..as then tradgedy stikes and the future of the company falls on the shoulders of Milton?..to uphold impeccable standards that two men established?..then an army of disgruntled customers that were spoiled rotten with super high expectations?..as i begin to think..poor milton..i'd of been getting a touch on the moody side as well..and maybe Milty here has heard your cries and up'ed his game..this bow was owned by two archers before me..and the one that sold it to me only did so on the condition that if i ever go to off it that he gets first crack at buying it back..i dunno..guess i'm just rambling now..but i know his..he ain't never get'in it back..cause i'm shooting this sweet black beauty until i die or it does and i'd buy it again any day of the week..and the amazing part?..the new 21st bows cost about the same today as they did 20 years ago..i'm amazed. L8R, Bill.
Just cannot see your point here.  There is a way to treat people that are your customers and way not to.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline JINKSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:

Originally posted by JINKSTER:

Just cannot see your point here.  There is a way to treat people that are your customers and way not to. [/b]
Understood DH...and is also why i stated i dont condone such...however...theres always two sides to a story...and if what i read here is true?...that milton took both the guys bow and his money and slammed a door in his face?..they make these things called police for that sort of thing..as the term would be "stealing/robbery"...so if theres not more to this story?...then why are we getting nothing more than a second hand accounting of this alleged event?...and if imy livelyhood was on the recieving end of that sort of badmouthing?...id prolly be a lil grouchy too! LOL
"ONLY A SPIRITUALLY MATURE DISCIPLINED SOUL CAN TRUELY MASTER A TRADITIONAL BOW"

and i know that's true cause as a younger man i usta call'em a "pull-n-pray"

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Jinkster, I got your point. And it was a good point to make in my eye's . Time will tell.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
I have a Jim and Buddy new moon from early 90's love it I have not seen or shot a newer one.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, John McDonald-Big River Bows, got some of J&B's forms and makes a 21st Century bow with slight changes from the original.  I've heard good things about the Big River.  I've got a J&B edge so not really in need of another one.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online nineworlds9

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
I had one of Milton's 70" Lonestar Carbons, built new in February of this year.  It was a fine bow.  YES the finish was a bit utilitarian, YES the tolerances were not like on a $800 or $1k bow, more like a Samick.  However...it was 100% a shooter.  One of the smoothest drawing bows I've sampled and it stacked arrows.  Impressive cast at 45@28 and didnt torque easily with the slender grip and carbon reinforced limbs.  It had a nice soft thump on release and was exceptionally quiet- with an 8 strand D10 string and wool puffs it approached selfbow levels of quiet.  Considering the base price is only $570 and you get a bow that wins tourneys in the hand of a good archer I think it's a good value.   Most of the negatives on this thread are from years ago.  So Milton may be prickly to deal with, some people have totally normal dealings with him.  It's all subjective.
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
62" Stalker Coyote
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
66" Northern Mist Skanee

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
I hate to speak against anyone but I have threads out there from years back.
When I opened my box I called and told him I wanted my money back. It got ugly fast. I don't think he would be so bold in person. I build bows, maybe not on a pro level but I can tell you that pretty don't mean Jack and that a pc. of s_ _t can shoot with the best of them. When you spend $600 or more you expect
A good build, no file marks and straight limbs.
You expect a bowyer that Will talk with you and hear you out.
Milton could build the best bow one day but I wouldn't take one for free. You get one chance to do right and he has wronged many people.
Big river is better made and a great clone of the Jim and buddy bow. Anyone in thier right mind should get one as the great man will not be around forever.

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Mine is a Jim/Buddy Supernova. 66" and 45# @ 27". Very nice workmanship and really drives an arrow. Built in 1998.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »
Flawless fadeouts......

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
I can only speak from my one experience this year. I ordered a Trainer Longbow from Milt. He was very easy to deal with. The bow is a shooter.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©