INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 21st Century Longbow  (Read 1107 times)

Offline dave m

• Trad Bowhunter
21st Century Longbow
« on: July 11, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
I got a new longbow from Milton Callaway of 21st Century Longbows with the bamboo lams on crooked and three pieces of scrap wood glued together to make the grip. Called him on that, and he says it's not a problem.  "[dntthnk]"   Also said he's not Wal-mart and he doesn't take returns.
That's only his $600.00 bow. I didn't have the chance to ask what it costs to get one with the lams laid-up straight and one solid piece of wood for the grip before he hung up on me. Got some photos to show..if you're interested! I'd be glad to email them to ya. Pass them on!

Dave M

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 21st Century Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 10:47:00 PM »
Wow ! I wouldn't be impressed! Pics Please!

Sergio

Offline Adam Mooney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »
Lets see those pics. That is crazy for him to say and do. Sorry you have to go through this
Adam

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »
GOT A FRIEND HE TOLD THE SAME THING AFTER HIS CRACKED IN TWO DAYS..

Offline centaurshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »
i had a friend that ordered one, got one and tried to return it.  my bud was told no way but that he'd rework it and fix the crack (in the riser) for a fee, my bud sent it and went to pick it up and the job was not done really well.  my bud spoke up and ended up with mad milton storming off and a slammed door in his face, worse yet, milton stormed off with his bow which he never got back.  it was insane, perhaps the worst dealings i've ever heard of in dealing with a bowyer, and i'd never post this or rag on a bowyer like this but i think this guy really needs a wakeup call.  i've heard this type of thing over and over again and it's not a rare find that's for sure.  just a good example how someone can utterly destroy the great rep a name has that's been built by someone with some integrity.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »
YEA, HE KEPT MY FRIENDS BOW AND THE MONEY.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 07:36:00 AM »
On the other side of the coin, just to be fair, and FWIW I won one of Milton's bows about 3 years ago - I love it, (though I don't shoot it as much as my ACS). A friend ("woodduck", on here) came to my house to shoot with me and after shooting mine, ordered one like it - and loves his. The finish on mine started to lift a little about a month ago on the Bubinga handle. He (Milton)redily told me if I would pay shipping both ways he would refinish it for free. I felt that was fair after three years, plus I've heard Bubinga is an awfully oily wood ( from other sources). I sent it off two days ago and feel sure all will go well. I also have heard of him being "testy", to say the least, but so far my dealings have been fine and I hope they continue that way.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »
I too have experienced problems.  I traded a fellow for a new less than 6 month old 21century that had been shot less than 60 times. The bow did not have a scratch on it. The original owner just did not like the grip.

I had it for 2 weeks and it delaminated at the fade outs. Milton told me the warranty was not transferable and I should let the original buyer deal with him.  I think the original buyer had problems too since I have not heard back from him...(probably because I tried to be honest and called milton first)

Its very sad that 21century longbows have come to this. They are one of the best shooting longbows out there as far as stability and speed together. Many top shooters have won large tournaments with them. And still do.

What people dont know is 90% of these are Buddy&Jim longbows not Calloway bows.

Offline Blue Moose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »
I have a B&J Constellation I wouldn't give up for anything.  Would like to find and Earth someday.  No plans on Buying a calloway any time soon, but you can't beat the originals
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline donb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »
V.I. I had an "earth" model another lifetime ago, and it was the most stable, highest performing longbow I have ever owned. It was too heavy though, so I sent it back with a request for modifications... the resulting bow was awesome, but I did not particularly care for the grip. I did some of the best shooting I've ever done in my life with it, and then sold it and have regretted it ever since. Good luck!
"Lead on!"

Offline Buckhorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
I have just recieved the 21st edge, shot it for a couple weeks. 55@28" Bamboo with carbon shoots great. My stallion 63@28" is fast, quiet,& hits where I look. The Edge is superior. Have'nt run it through the crono  yet, but see big difference in performance and shootabilty. The stallion was strong but the Edge was superior, with lighter draw weight, and same arrows. Axis 400 w/100grn. inserts & 175grn. field points. Have'nt tested w/broad heads yet.
                  Ed

Offline DEAN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
And i would love to see his work to please send to boxxer06@verizon.net
TGMM Family of the Bow
Comptons Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 11:24:00 PM »
Like Bernie said, I liked his bow(LoneStar) and love mine. Milton made mine 'just like Bernie's' 'cause I like his smaller grip.
Milton donated Bernie's for a PBS auction. Nice for a busy bowyer to do.
I had several good conversations with Milton and my bow arrived when he said and a good price for the bow that's one of my favorites.
I bought another, used one from a fellow in Tenn. It was a fine bow but the grip was a bit larger than what I like, so I sold it just the other day. It was a Nova and a fast, stable, bow.
It was prettier than my bow. I've seen no problems with the two I owned.
My LoneStar is not for sale!
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 05:52:00 AM »
BTW - I got my bow back from Milton in early August, as I recall, and it looked like new. I took it to a shoot/get together at Goldsboro in Early Sept (along with my other bows) and the other 4 guys liked it a lot - both looks and shootability. Thank you, Milton.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
I have seen good looking Milton bows but I would never risk purchasing one again new or used. I lost my custom built Griffen LB that I traded because a new 21st century came apart. But as Milton told me. Thats what happens when you deal with Used bows...

Offline 21cenlongbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »
I have shot a 21 st century longbow for allot of years (maybe 10) and I love it. I was told when I bought it that there were two owners and that the master mind behind the bow had cancer.
And that the bows would not be the same without him.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
FWIW, his website is very hard to see and decipher. I asked Milton if he had a catalog or some better pictures, but never got a reply. The Jim and Buddy bows were awesome, but I don't know that I would buy one from Mr. Calloway.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
sounds like someone has about ruined there own reputation as a bowyer . I cant understand why a bowyer that makes custum bows wouldnt fix a problem that was due to workmanship . hope he changes his attitude before he sinks . I dont think i will be buying one of his bows for sure .
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Online Ghostman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 07:47:00 AM »
I have 2 friends who had bad dealings with Milton when he first bought the company. I too have had a negative dealing with him in the past and would NEVER deal with him again.

When Jim & Buddy owned the company the bows and customer service was top notch. IMO Milton has ruined the 21st Century reputation due to poor craftsmanship and customer service plus the worst attitude I've seen from a custom bowyer.

I wouldn't use a Milton made bow for a walking stick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©