INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Therma cell!  (Read 856 times)

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Therma cell!
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
I have been using a therma-cell while night fishing this summer and it seems to be working well. although I got some of the earth sent boards and they really put off a strong odor

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
even got some refills for christmas

Offline Quiet Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2012, 12:48:00 AM »
The holster for it is a good addition for carrying extra fuel and pads, also just strap it to your stand. I have a wire basket made if hardware cloth on the bottom of my climber at the peak of the tree notch and just strap it in with a small bungee cord. It makes a good hand warmer in the winter, also is good for drying wet feathers out in your stand.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Time to reload my ThermaCell for the season. I've been very impressed with this unit over the last year. Our mild winter points to early mosquito season, so...Thermacell!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I bought one last year and will never enter the woods without it.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Online Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2012, 05:02:00 AM »
I have one myself, and can attest to how well they ward off the little blood suckers, but have been afraid to take it deer hunting. How many people have been winded more often since using one, and is there anyone that has had deer come in that you know could smell it?  They work great, but is old mossy horns gonna turn the other way when he smells it. I try to be as scent free as possible, and this definately emits an odor.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Pheonix,

I haven't seen increased spooking from the Thermacell - me moving or bad wind yes like usual.  It does smell to my human nose so people who claim it has no effect are fooling themselves.   But for some reason, it doesn't seem to spook as much as you would expect from the amount of scent.  All deer are different, but it seems like a few I thought caught wind didn't seem too alarmed.  

I also don't use earth scent because I don't like earth cover scent and like you try to be as scent free as possible.  

In La early season you will get eaten alive, so the slight increase in scent is clearly worth it to reduce movement and stay on stand longer.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
I got my first ThermoCell from an info-mercial many years ago, had to have it shipped to a country store out on the hard road because I lived so far back in the Florida woods that I didn't have an address.. Now I'd rather forget my bow and I'll go back to the house and miss a morning hunt before I go in the woods without it! They are refillable, do a YouTube search and you'll find the method. TC is a deal at twice the price.
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Offline charles m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I agree with above.  Don't know how we got along without them all those years.

Offline TREESLEEPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I don't go in the woods or swamp without my thermacell. Especially early season you wouldn't be able to stay still and the Mosquitos would eat you alive. I turned mine off once during a hunt to see how good it works. It didn't take long for Mosquitos to swarm me! Turned it back on and all was well.  Very good product.

Offline TREESLEEPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
I don't go in the woods or swamp without my thermacell. Especially early season you wouldn't be able to stay still and the Mosquitos would eat you alive. I turned mine off once during a hunt to see how good it works. It didn't take long for Mosquitos to swarm me! Turned it back on and all was well.  Very good product.

Offline Brock

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
yeah it only takes one time in the swamp or in Canadaian bush to turn it off thinking it is not that big of a deal and not really working and you are worried the low hissing sound of the gas and scent is going to scare away the animals.

then in 15 minutes you are scrambling to get it to light trying to be quiet from the loud click of igniter.   :)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Mine still works great!