INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Therma cell!  (Read 844 times)

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Therma cell!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
I used one this weekend and didn't work at all and I took it back. With it smoking, moscitoes were landing on it and me with it on my lap. maybe Washington are tougher? I was not impressed.

Offline LONGBOWSFOX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
:goldtooth:    THERMO CELL ON SALE THIS WEEK-END AT CABELA'S DUNDEE MICH. 19.95 FOR THEMO-CELL AND CASE FREE.  THE CASE SELLS FOR 9.95 NORMAL PRICE. FREE.  ITS IN THE AD THEY SENT OUT FOR THIS WEEK -END.  MAN THEY WORK WAS IN THE NORTH  WOODS OF MICHIGAN JUST LAST WEEK END IN A TEE SHIRT NO BUGS. SETTING SOME CAMERAS OUT AND YEP THERES DEER WITH SOME HORNS IN THEM THERE WOODS. CAN'T HARDLY WAIT TO OCT. 1 ..
LONGBOWSFOX

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
These work great.  However, they claim that animals don't smell them, but I can!  This has always made me nervous about hunting with them.  I use mine when I shoot the 3d course.  Has anyone tried the earth scent pads?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
They work, but they are a bear to light at altitude. This summer, camping in our normal places at 8 to 9 thousand feet, the Thermacell would not light. Got home to 5000 feet, and it worked great.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
A lot of us swear by these things down here in Florida!  Some tips:
1) You have to have the smoke enveloping you for them to work to their fullest potential.
2) They really don't work well for the walk in/out because your walking away from the fumes.. you have to be sitting still.
3) I think the deer can smell them, but as stated, if they're smelling the TC, their smelling you so doesn't matter.
4) each pad only lasts for me maybe 2 - 3 hours, so pick your times wisely, they get expensive.

Great product!

Offline JMartin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
I sure do like mine!

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
I have one. I wont leave home in the early season without it.

I also use it in the boat during the crappie spawn here. Which is about the beginning of may.

Works Great
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
Hey chris if it hasn't been answered already get the holder for the therma cell. The one I have has a utility clip and I clip it to my stand behind me and it hangs there out of the way and still works great.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline macclare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I now consider one to be a must have piece of eqipment.

Offline SkottyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Just want to throw my opinion in also. They are a must in the rice country and river bottoms in northeast Arkansas.  I would turn around and go home if mine was not in my pack. And how do I know when the butane is empty or the pad is used up? Easy, skeeters start to bite!!!
Great tool, get one, you'll see!

Scott
>>>------Scott------->

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
ASK ROBTATOO ABOUT THE EVENING HE FORGOT HIS LAST SEPTEMBER!
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline zip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Therma cell worked great for me in our early deer srason, especially when hunting close to swampy areas.

Online BowMIke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Thermacell worked great on my last two Canadian black bear hunts. Those woods are full of mosquitos!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
"For sure they do, I need to get some Butane refills for mine, can you just get refills for those and fill them yourself or do you have to buy the refills? 3 rivers has them, my wife bought mine at Walmart Tbilisi, And I think they have a web page. I would just put it in a seach engine."

Chris...I got this off another site and have never tried it myself.

When it is empty take a pair of needle nose pliers,pull the brass out the top of the cylinder(try not to ruin the o-ring),under that you will see a solid white piece of material,poke a hole with a needle in it.Push the brass back in.Get one of those KING butane cans with the different tips.Find the tip that fits in the brass.Cut a very small v-notch in the tip of that.Place the butane cartridge on a table,and insert tip of KING butane can in it.Press down.You can now re-fill your bottle any time.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »
Won't hunt early season or Canada without one. One of the few products that actually does what it advertises !

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Nothin better!

Offline Hogcoots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
My son and I each have one.  They are an absolute necessity in my opinion.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Won't leave the house without one between June & November. I di once in September last year (Thanks Jed!) & nearly lost a leg to 'skeeters. They sucked so much blood from me, I actually weighed 11 pounds less when I got back to camp.

Possibly the first product, other than a hammer, that works EXACTLY as advertised. Sprays don't always work, wipes don't always work, bugsuits don't always work. I'd happily sit nekkid in my stand without a worry as long as I had my thermocell.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Bill Turner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
I have not had a need for a ThermaCell where I hunt in TX and Oklahoma but I do have a question. Can you fly on commercial flights with the TC and refills? Just wondering in case I head to Canada or the swamps of Georgia or Florida.

Offline forrest-hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
The propane refills that women hair curler use will work. I hunt in a low wet area in East Texas - can't say enough good things about the thermacell - would never go back to DEET.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©