INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Therma cell!  (Read 865 times)

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
Therma cell!
« on: July 08, 2006, 08:25:00 AM »
My loving wife bought me a therma cell a little while back ago, I tried it and I think everone and anyone should go out and buy one. You do not smell it while it is working. I can not wait to use it this fall during early bow season. I just have to find a way to have it in my stand without the worry of nocking it off my stand with my feet.

Offline Ted A. Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Therma cell!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
Chris I also have one and love it.  The smell??  A friend of mine just back from Canada where he hunted bear.  He was in a ground blind and was using a TC to control the bugs.  He had a BIG bear hang up out from his blind and do the teeth popping routine before leaving.  Second night reapeat of the first.  Third night he went with out the TC and bear came right into bait.  Long story short, he never got his bear.  The outfitter told him the bears have come to associate TC with people.  Who knows.  Just his experience.
Ted A. Young AKA COB.  When I was young I spoke as child.  Now I'm older and got more sense I can't get any one to listen to me!

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »
They also have the cover sent pads you can use, I watched the double bull blind video, they use it. I also called and talked with the whats his face that shoots the longbow all the time because he was telling me that he uses the regular size blind with his longbow. He was telling me he swears by the Therma Cell and won't hunt without a camera or his Therma Cell. This was in Feb. Just like any animal though, they refer to memeory when they have been threaten in the past, he could of been shot at by someone that had one. It is just like some people hunt while smoking and regularly kill deer doing so, heck I even did when I smoked. If they have never been threatend before with that smell around they ignore it, it would take a whole lot of bears to find out or be scared off from the scent to really be educated about it, at least that is what I am hoping.

Offline Tbilisi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
Where can you find information on a Therma cell?
Life is short.  Shoot the good arrows first.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
It certainly doesn't surprise me that an animal would learn to eventually associate the smell of a TC with trouble....but no more so than the natural smell of a human. If it's been around a TC long enough to make that association, it's certainly made an even stronger connection with human odor. In short, I can't see how it would "hurt" any more than your normal scent.

And man, do they work on the bugs!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 03:53:00 PM »
For sure they do, I need to get some Butane refills for mine, can you just get refills for those and fill them yourself or do you have to buy the refills? 3 rivers has them, my wife bought mine at Walmart Tbilisi, And I think they have a web page. I would just put it in a seach engine.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
Good point JC. He could have gotten winded weather or not he had the TC with him. Some hunts just don't go the way we plan. Just the way it is.

Chris- You need the scent pads also to go along with the butane refills. I saw a "value pack" on ebay (3 butane refills with 12 pads) a while back. If your going to use it, seems like it's the way to go.

I use a TC myself and it works well. If your hunting the early season, it is well worth trying. I place mine on the back platform section of my climber. Works like a charm.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline FreedomRules3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
Generally the refill kits are the way to go but after a while you will find you have pads and no butane to use with them. i answered this in the other section

you can buy the Thermacell butane refills just like the originals at Wal-mart in the curling iron section. they come in packs of 2 butanes for $5. the refills with pads now come in larger packages with 3 butanes and 12 pads for like $18 in the sporting goods section. you can also buy the conair butanes (which are bigger ) and use a plastic adaptor that lets you use them in the thermacells. heres an auction for 12 tanks that comes with the adaptor (which sometimes can be hit or miss working)
  http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Butanes-for-ThermaCELL-Mosquito-Repellent-Units_W0QQitemZ200018882849QQihZ010QQcategoryZ52483QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem  

I got 100 of the conairs with 10 adaptors a few years back and use them in emergency's . I only had 1 adaptor not work right with the conairs. hope this helps
Rick

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
the dates on the post are like 2-3 days apart, you just happened to answer both of them that all. Thanks though.

Offline toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 02:47:00 AM »
Addendum, I bought a therma cell for Turkey hunting last year.  My God, never got bitten one time by mosquitoes.  My buddy bought one and we went out bowfishing at night, roughly 20 times, and NEVER, got bitten once.  this fall is was Hot early october, I took the therma cell out sitting on the ground.  I was late so in a hurry to set up (no one been there before, huh).  After 15 minutes of being ate alive, remembered I had it.  turned it on, 10 minutes later, no bites at all.  I sat there for 30 minutes a couple Does came by feeding, one fed up to 8 yards.  They had no idea I was there, so obvious it did not bother them.  If you are a guy like me who hates wasting any minute you can hunting, then purchase one well worth then money.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I got one this December for my birthday so have not used it, but my friends worked great for early goose season and some of the early duck hunting we did this year.  I also got a carrying case for it so you can tie it on or strap it on you or your stand.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline cnorth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Therma cell is a must for every early season hunter.  I keep my in my side pocket on my back pack while up in the tree.  I have had some extremely close encounters with deer without them smelling anything.  One would in no way be disappointed with with this product.  The refills are very offordable.
Trust in the Lord with all of thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  Proverbs 3: 5

BLACK WIDOW PCH 47 @ 28, 58" bubinga/yew

TOELKE WHIP 50 @ 28, 64"    

BLACK WIDOW PMA III 51 @ 28, 62"

Online Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
I love my tc for the early season, were I live bugs are so bad i need something and it works great, there is some odor but if you hunt the wind you'll be okay, as much as any hunt anyway, I hang mine on a bow hook by my head, that's were they bother me the most and that seems to work well
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
I know if you use them in a blind. you can turn it on, keep it on for an hour and the turn it off. You will not use as much fuel and can use the pads twice as long and you still have no bugs.
Chris Kiefner

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
I've used the therma cell in the Florida swamps, and can attest to the fact that they do work. for years I used 100% Deet products wich worked well, but pre dawn and dusk were not happy times even with the Deet. During these times nothing seemed to stop you from feeling like a pin cushion. You basically had to build a mental immunity to skeeters or wait till after sunrise to enter the woods and leave before dusk. Not a very good option.
Now I just light my therma cell and hang it under my tree stand seat using its holster or hang it on a branch. About 5 minutes after lighting skeeters are GONE!!!
These things work better than our County Mosquito Control!!
If the County could spray the Therma Cell formula, The mosquito would be extinct!

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »

this is how I used mine in Manitoba Deer hunting last fall

Offline barefoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
I was early season bowhunting last year. I climbed a 10' lean on stand that had a small berry tree behind it about the same height as the seat. There was a swarm of mosquitos in it,I mean hundreds all around me. the cloud of mosquitos was so thick I could hardly see. They were in my eyes, ears and mouth. I lit up my TC and looked at my watch. In just over four minutes there was not a mosquito in sight. Two does came out twenty feet from my treestand and hung around for 1/2 hour before ambling off. I am a believer for sure.

Offline LongBow'erman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Another believer in the TC! There is some smell but so far the deer haven't cared.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Love the TC do not know how to hunt without one nowadays! I do not stress the smell cause if they smell the TC they are smelling me anyway!

Best thing since sliced bread.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Where I live and hunt the TC gets used the whole season.  Not many really cold days.  Rather go hunting without my bow than my TC.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©