INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Centaur Archery longbow  (Read 337 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Centaur Archery longbow
« on: April 20, 2006, 03:37:00 PM »
Well, I looked through all four pages of topics and I do not see this bow being reviewed...if it is...just delete this post I guess.

I just purchased a "very slightly used" 56" one pc longbow by Jim Neaves from a gentleman who found it too heavy. It's 56# @26 1/2 inches. My draw is 28 and a hair more so I guess I am pulling about 58/59 lbs. I no longer have a scale to check it with but it feels lighter than most bows in that weight range.

It is clear glass (flawlessly applied with no cloudy or fuzzy spots in it by the way) over all bocote, with contrasting stripes through the handle and dark wood and phenolic on limbtips. FF string with those muskox hair silencers in it.  

I cannot shoot a normal handled longbow for very long without developing a premature release. I do not know why- I just know I love the weight and portability of longbows but cannot shoot them without developing bad habits. I attribute it to the handle shapes. This one, though,  is very much like my recurve handles and it feels great.

The back of the riser has finger grooves that fit me well also. The bow shoots the same arrows as my recurves- 29 inch Beman Carbon Classics with 3 - 5 inch feathers, 190 grain points and broadheads with 75 gr brass inserts and 100 grain steel point adapters.

The arrow is directly on top of the web of my left hand- i mean DIRECTLY on top. It is quick, but more important it is without doubt as quiet a bow as I have ever shot. Once I get it all tuned with the string and silencers I want I expect it will be even less noisy.

It was TOO light in mass on its own, so I strapped a GN adjustable quiver on it and it actually quieted the bow and tightened up my groups...but its still a considerable amount lighter than my recurves.

the glue lines are impeccable, the woods used are highly figured, the glass is flawless. In short, I am ecstatic about this bow. I shoot every night now in my basement and I am getting so good with it at 24 yards I have to shoot five different spots on the Rinehart to keep from cutting up fletching and nocks.

This bow is going to kill some pigs for me this summer, I can feel it!          :thumbsup:      

website is   www.centaurarchery.com
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Centaur Archery longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 08:35:00 PM »
Ray, just got my new Centaur yesterday. It's a beauty and shoots as good as it looks. Jim Neaves is excellent to work with and he made this bow exactly as I ordered. 58" 50#@27". Bacote/Ebony riser, stained red elm veneers over bamboo, sheep horn on the riser overlay. I'll post some pics on the Pow Wow.

I hope to shoot some 3D with this bow in the morning. I would not hesitate to order another.

Dave  :thumbsup:
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:52:00 PM »
I have to 2nd everything Ray has said about his new bow. Smooth, unbeliveable speed with his heavy arrows and honestly one of the most beautiful and unique bows I have ever shot. I hope to have one as well before the years out.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
Hatrick,
I saw your bow on powwow...its gorgeous. I hope it serves you well!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »
Ray, you'll love working with Jim Neaves on your next bow. I'm sure he can build you exactly what you want. The more I shoot mine the more I like it. I don't chronograph bows, I simply take them to the range and see how they cast an arrow out to 50 yards. This bow has excellent cast and loves heavy arrows. The best of any bow I've owned in this poundage, including my recurves.

Great looking bow, Ray. Gotta love that bacote. Pigs beware!
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline cqc10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 08:38:00 PM »
I have a used Centaur, and a used Selway Lil' Mag which is identical in shape. (Jim made it when working at Selway)

These are unbelievable bows. So smooth, quiet, and light weight . .

Eventually I'm going to get a new one made.

Jim is a super nice guy . . . very helpful and takes his time with you.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
what poundage are the  lil mag an centaur  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline centaurshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »
i'm glad that one found a loving home, i can't help but think the guy that sold that one made a big mistake.  anyway, those things are awesome bows for sure.  enjoy it, and enjoy the new one.

Offline flinginem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »
Hay Ray,Thats a sweet looken bow!!

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
i've been shooting my new bow as much as possible since i got it and i must say it is an awsome little stick!!!! very quiet and easy to shoot accurately and consistantly with no noticable handshock. it also seems very very quick to my eyes but i dont have a chrono.

i've been using the same arrows as i have for my checkmate hunter 2, which are vapor carbon shafts (3000 spine) with 50gr brass inserts and 250gr points. however when bareshafting with the centaur, i had to drop down to a 145gr point, in order to stiffen the spine enough for it!

these 2 bows are both exactly the same draw weight (51lb @ 29"), but the centaur is a bit closer to center cut. still - 105gr is a big difference in point weight and dynamic spine and says a lot about the bows performance.

i now have some stiffer vapor 4000 arrows that i'll be loading up with heaps of point weight to bring this bow down to the kind of speed my recurves shoot - and also to make use of all that energy of course.

i am really loving this bow - i'll have to be disciplined though and use the checkmate sometimes so she doesnt get lonely.  :D  

Offline centaurshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »
both are very pretty bows.  i've got a bocote surprise to show you guys here soon.  it's gonna be awesome.

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »
btw - how could i forget to mention.....

jim is an awsome guy to deal with and very helpful. i have owned and shot some great bows but none are equal to his overall.

there is nothing i would change about this bow.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 05:44:00 AM »
After four months- I am even more impressed with the bow and its attributes. Can't say enough good things about it.

I am going to Africa next July- and the new TD Centaur I have ordered will be going with me.

Results from a trip in June..a little hot..a little too much moon at night so the big boys didn't move around much in daylight, but the Centaur did her job on these meat hogs.

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
thats awsome ray! - what woods are you thinking of?

they are great bows indeed - mine is now my undisputed favourite bow (i've also ordered another)  :D  
it is a great takedown system - i doubt you'll be dissapointed!
  :thumbsup:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
I like Myrtle for the limbs...sort of a natural camo light/dark thing going there...I don't know about the handle...kind of like that "madras" wood - the different layers of different colors.

Jim says for strength purposes he doesn't recommend a solid wood handle for a TD bow...so thats my initial thoughts anyway.

Might be doing carbon too...not sure at this point. I have till February to make up my mind I guess.

Offline longbow357

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:30:00 PM »
hehe - soo many choices - aint it great!?

the diamond wood is much stronger and a much better choice for the takedown anyway.
although the carbon is tempting, i love beautiful veneres too much - cant resist. mine's plenty fast with glass anyways.

my next will also be a takedown - so far i'm going with juniper limbs, cocobolo diamondwood in the center of the handle, and real cocobolo for the palmswell and finger overlays.
should be a looker...   :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©