INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Kifaru Spike Camp... I pulled the trigger  (Read 186 times)

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Kifaru Spike Camp... I pulled the trigger
« on: April 08, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »
Well I've been wanting a good backpack for hunting for quite a while now and my wonderful wife has let me order a Kifaru Spike Camp with cargo carrier and fleece hood....... I did a lot of research ,and looked at a dozen packs,to find a pack that met exactly what I wanted i.e it had to be comfortable and maneuvarable enough to wear around in the Elk woods and AZ desert all day while having a large enough capacity to allow me to bivvy out if need be and It had to be hydration system compatible. I also wanted to get away from having to go back to the truck after game was down to get the pack frame, that always seems like a wasted trip especially when you are packing out that last elk quarter at 2:00am and thinking this work could be done already...I also wanted a pack of good enough quality to carry a lifetime guarantee....
I thought I'd share my thoughts with you after doing hours of thinking and debating......

My search initially boiled down fairly quickly to two brands that stood out heads and tails above the rest.... BisonGear and Kifaru...... I really liked the Bison gear lost river and Lemhi models but at 3200 cubic inches I felt the lemhi would be too much pack for bustin brush.... The Lost river at 1232 cubic inches, while having the game bag feature,lacked an internal frame and just didn't seem like the way to go when bustin out an Elk quarter, plus you'd have to empty out your gear to get the quarter in it....The Kifaru Spike camp at 2300 cubic inches seemed to be the best of both worlds with the omni suspension system and internal frame.... But the real kicker is the cargo shelve that not only has more weight carrying capacity than I any load I'd be carrying it also doubles as a chair for what looks like a very comfortable glassing set up..... Man I can't wait to get it and see how it works out.... Oh Yeah.... Kifaru also offers to take it back within 30 days if you don't like it.... It doesn't get any better than that..... The price is steeper than what I've ever paid for a pack but I'm sure this will be the last pack I will ever own or need......I'll be posting back here on how things worked out....... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kifaru Spike Camp... I pulled the trigger
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »
I've had this pack for a few months now and really like it.... I've been mainly using it on my morning walks.I have it loaded up with 30# of weight and am walking 2 1/2 miles and am feeling good about my conditioning for the upcoming Elk hunt..... The pack is comfortable and the load sets mainly on my hips and not my shoulders as most of my previous packs have...... This also allows me to shoot my bow comfortably while wearing the pack...... If there was anything I didn't like it was the shortage of seperate compartments in the basic package I ordered, there's a small one inside the main compartment and one outside, but I just received two side pockets and am set for September...... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Spence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »
Terry,
I think you'll really like it, I've had mine for a couple years now.  I also have the side pockets, they give you a lot of flexibility.  Here's what it looks like loaded.  I'll be moving to Yuma in a few weeks and managed to draw a cow tag for area 22.
Spence  

Offline Nick Dedaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:57:00 AM »
Terry,
Congrats on the Spikecamp.  I just received my second one as I lost my brains a couple of years ago and sold my first one.  I bought a Late Season with the proceeds from my SpikeCamp and love it too.  You can bivy out with either one and everything you said is true.  I know you have been on their web site Kifaru.net but if you havn't you must look it over.  Great people in the shop and Patrick Smith is a true gentleman and inovator.  Great advice on the well monitored message board too.
One way I ( and many others ) solved the "no external pockets" issue of their packs is to purchase their "pull outs" in several sizes and colors ( I think ).  They are reasonably priced and  act as internal pockets allowing you to organize your gear ( first aid, survival, food etc.) and pull them out and get what you need quickly and efficiently.
Just my two cents worth,
Nick

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 02:52:00 PM »
I've had mine for three seasons, with the cargo platform like yours. I absolutely love it. It is my "deer stand" during rifle season, I can plop this thing anywhere, reverse the cargo carrier to a chair, adjust the straps and lean back comfortably with nothing behind me but the pack. That eliminates the need to find a suitable tree or boulder to lean against. A caribou surprised me on a hunt & I made a fast 240 yard rifle sitting shot that was about as easy as benchresting. I also lean it directly against trees etc. when they are available, very nice. I also use it for turkey hunting and bowhunting from the ground. I bundle my heavy clothes or rain gear in the cargo carrier when walking long-distance. The nicest thing about this pack is that when wearing it, you can about forget you've got it on, it's that comfortable.

As far as loading, I packed out 1/2 caribou + gun + gear with no problem, twice. My partner had his old & huge external frame freighter, his load was shifting all over and he got tired well before me, even though he's gotta be in better shape. I could have handled another 30# w/o trouble, it is a heck of a small pack.

They came out with the slightly larger packs after I bought mine, but I don't bivvy and load so much stuff in the Spike that I'll probably just keep using it. It seemed like a ton of $$, but a couple of guys watched me at caribou camp and said they were gonna get one. Have fun with it,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©