INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Target Review and Pacific Bow Butts  (Read 250 times)

Offline albertakid

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Target Review and Pacific Bow Butts
« on: January 03, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »
I just thought I would take a few minutes and tell you guys about the best dang target!!! I have ever had my hands on.  First off I am not a paid endorsee or anything like that I just believe in this product and have been pleasantly surprised by it to say the least. Not too mention I was tired of spending my cash on targets that wouldn’t hold up. Many of you may have heard of this company and overlooked their quality as I did.

Since I made the switch from compound to recurve my arrow out put has gone up considerably. I now shoot a ton of arrows hundreds a week.  Like many of you I tried to be thrifty when I first got into archery. I was interested in the cheapest target that would stop an arrow and even made several of my own from bag targets stuffed with shrink wrap, to stiff foam insulation. All bad choices, had to stand on the target to remove the arrows.  After finding out that this didn’t work I decided to buy a target that some of the archery forums recommended.

After looking at a few of these archery sites I decided to try a “Block” type target made with layered foam technology and spent some of my hard earned cash on one only to have it shoot out before it had seen 300 arrows and this is with no broadheads used at all. Needless to say I was not very happy. Now I was out quite a bit of my hard earned cash and still didn’t have a target worth a darn.

(In my opinion if you want a layered target you might as well take your hard earned cash lay the bills on top of each other and then bind them together and start shooting and you will get about as much use out of it as a layered foam target!!!!)

This is when I happened upon Pacific Bow Butts (http://www.pacificbowbutts.com) and man did this change my idea of a factory made target. With quite a bit of apprehension I ordered a Super Butt model and crossed my fingers hoping that I might get a target that would at least hold up for a year to my kind of shooting. What I soon received was surprising to say the least. The Super Butt target model arrived via common carrier shipping, as they are oversize for Fed-ex delivery.

As soon as the target arrived I was impressed with the cover and materials it was made of.  One side was marked with dots to shoot at and the other side was left blank so you can make your own target marks as you feel the need. Here is a picture of the target after over 6000 shots pretty amazing to say the least!!!

If you check out their website you will see what the target looks like when it is brand new and you will see it looks the same as after 6000 shots!!! These targets are made from specially aligned straw that is then compressed and they are a little heavier than your foam type target however the only complaint I have is that my wife thinks it clashes with the rest of the furniture. That’s right… I shoot in my house this time of year then move it outside in the spring. Told you I was addicted)

I have shot broadheads 2,3,and 4 blade versions into this target and have had great results. If you are looking for a tough target that comes in many sizes to fit almost any need possible and you’re tired of shelling out your cash for layer after layer of junk you, need to check out Pacific bow Butts (http://www.pacificbowbutts.com/) they are the real deal!!!  If you ask me the only thing wonderful about the layered type targets is the marketing behind them. When it comes to stopping an arrow they only added to the cost of the target when I shoot through ruining a $14.00 arrow.  Not anymore!!!!!.

Jordan Harmon
Bow hunter and archery addict!!

Oh and PBB FAN!!!!!
"One shot one kill"

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target Review and Pacific Bow Butts
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »
Questions:
#1) looking at their website, it seems you need to order a whole pallet (7 targets if getting the "super butt")  Did you do that?  That'd get pricey...
#2) given their weight, what was shipping like?

Offline albertakid

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
Well I ordered one, but you can't do that anymore do to the shipping, however if you can get someone to stock them you both win because they make money and you get a better deal!!! That is what I would recommend.
"One shot one kill"

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline evworld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »

This is my pacific butt targets.  If you live near Allentown Pa. The NE distributer for them has a shop.  I got the burlap covered ones and picked two up myself.  The cost was 80 dollars each.  This is a picture when they were fairly new.  I shot a billion arrows into them and they still look good.  However, I never shot broadheads at them.  This spring I plan on turning them around. The other sides of the targets have the orange dots on them.

Online Danny Rowan

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »
Nice, but not an option for me, would cost a fortune in shipping to Guam.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »
These look to be just the kind of thing I've been looking for. Best yet, looks like they are manufactured here in Washington State. Moreover, Ilwaco is near the area I've decided to hunt next fall. Perhaps I can arrange to pick one up next spring when I go on my first scouting trip.

Thanks for the info.  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »
Shooting BHs into them doesnt destroy them  :eek:  

PETE
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline albertakid

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
they take broadheads pretty well no taget is un affected by them and this one takes them better than the layerd foam ones I have had.
"One shot one kill"

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
I was looking at the Pacific Bow Butts website today and noticed that our local archery shop here was listed. So I headed down there this afternoon and inquired about getting one of the Pacific Bow Butts. Turns out that the shop had replaced the Bow Butts in the shop range just last week and were selling the old ones for $30. What a bargain! And there was nothing wrong with the old ones except the burlap was torn on the target face.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
I have PB Butts too...all ya got to do is turn them and keep them covered like the photo...I dont shoot BH's in them....Karl is good guy too...Mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©