INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Surefire G2 flashlight.  (Read 262 times)

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Surefire G2 flashlight.
« on: December 03, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »
I got one of these handy little things about 2 months ago. I like it. It uses the 123 3v camera batteries. This is the light's weak point. My light quit working tonight. I checked the batteries with the Fluke voltmeter and they had 2.6 volts left in them. I don't know how low they can go and still run a camera.

A big reason I bought this light, however, is because I can get these batteries at work. And working night shift, the light gets a lot of on the job usage.

But, if one doesn't have ready access to free/cheap batteries, this can get pretty expensive. The batts are not cheap.

Overall, I personally like this little light.
I like the switch configuration with both the push-button and twist-on features.

The beam is very bright and doesn't have any "black holes" in it.

Now I'm waiting to see how long the bulb lasts. :)

Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Jerry Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Surefire G2 flashlight.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »
I use this type light for work also. The bulbs last a long time as long as the light doesn't get dropped. I also found the batteries at Botach Tactical Supply for about a dollar a piece when you buy 20.

I'm actually thinking about the E2 outdoorsman model.

Jerry

Offline Chad Edgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
Good lights, my bulb has lasted several years of moderate to light use.  Surefire batteries are half the cost of duracells.
Here from the King's mountain view,
Here from the wild dream come true...
Treasures of flesh never few! "Jambi"

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »
I have two and love em. Both four years old and bulbs going strong. Buy batteries in bulk and direct from surefire, much cheaper. For $40.00 a year for batteries there is no better light that I have seen yet.
hunt it

Offline Ryan Rothhaar

• Associate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »
Great lights, get one and you'll wonder how you ever got along with the minimag.  Batteries dont last real long, but no big deal for the amount I really use a light.

Ryan

Offline devildog66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »
I have two and use them for light duty, i.e., no tactical or police use.  Tough plastic body, great price and bright enough even with the 60 lumen bulb to light up the darkest room.  My battery is beyond a year old and has dimmed some but still working.
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »
Now I'm waiting to see how long the bulb lasts.  
Apparently the bulb went bad yesterday. I thought the batteries died and was kind of miffed, because I just replaced them. I put new ones in and the light still didn't work.

Just over two years on the bulb, I guess.  :thumbsup:
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
I have dealt with Surefire products for a good while now and this is something I can chime in on.    Most of the Surefire product line is for combat/tactical use.  What I mean by that, is that they were designed use in low light conditions in short bursts of time due to the power source.  They weren't meant to take the place of Maglights and the like with common alkaline batteries as the power source.  Surefire does make LED conversion kits which dramatically increases usage time.  It also generates a lot less heat.  Those metal Surefires can generate a LOT of heat.  There are also battery conversion kits that let you use rechargeable NiCad's.  If you use those, get a couple as back up.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
I won one of these lights at the Conway, AR DU banquet. It IS a great light, but ..... it's not as bright as my COAST Lenser single LED tactical light. I got it at Home Depot for about $40. It uses 3 AAA batteries, has 1 LED, and has 85 hour battery life (advertised.) This little light is actually brighter than the SureFire. And, with AAA's can be bought just about anywhere.
Romans 8:28

Offline JImmyDee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brute killer:

Now I'm waiting to see how long the bulb lasts.  
Apparently the bulb went bad yesterday. [/b]
Now you've got a reason to upgrade to the LEDs: more light, longer battery life.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 01:31:00 AM »
i bought one for my bag, one for my bedside to keep my Glock 27 company, and will get some more for my vehicles.
Good product and brighter than sh_t!

Look on the aUction site for deals on them.....
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Cabelas Extreme xtr models in 6,9 & 12 volt models are made by surefire and use surefire parts at way cheaper price. Only diff is aluminum used is not military grade. 12 volt model puts out 180 lumens for $60.00 it's a steal and an awesome tracking light, surefire that puts out 180 is $300.00.
hunt it

Offline M.A.FITZHUGH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »
Love this "light" as well. A word of caution if you have any kids. Keep this light put away. I left mine by the bed one night and forgot about it all day. My son found it and turned it on. i came home and he stuck it under a pillow because he knew was wrong. Well , one smokin' pillow and a some harsh words from my wife, later I had to replace the lens that became damaged due to the intense heat. Yes I am an idiot. But, no one got hurt, thankfully.

Offline DJT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
surefires are the best.  many models now come standard with the leds and multiple output levels.  nothing even comes close!!!  even non led bulbs last a long long time though.  try the avaitor has your choice of colored or white led and halogen bulb thats like a spotlight u can use one for in close and the other for far great outdoorsmans light

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©