INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fix Your Faded Camo!  (Read 340 times)

Online Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Fix Your Faded Camo!
« on: October 11, 2005, 01:28:00 PM »
I just tried a product that I heard about from a freind and thought I would pass it along.  I love my Predator Camo, but after a time the stuff does kind of fade out.  I order some stuff called Camo Restore, which is kind of a dye that darkens them up to look like new.  Actually, I like it even better than new!
I did one set of Predator Fall Grey, which I always felt was a little on the light side anyway, and another set of brown.  Put them both in the washing machine with some of the Camo Restore "Green" and they came out great! I was thinking this might be the last year for my camo, but after using this stuff I will actually have to wear it out rather than stop using it because it was just faded.
I'm sure this will work with other faded patterns as well.  Check it out at camorestore.com
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Curtiss Cardinal

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fix Your Faded Camo!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »
The laundry detergent made specifically for washing hunting close, Sport Wash and Scent Away don't fade the way the regular laundry detergent does because they don't contain bleach substitutes and UV brighteners.
I think I should point out that most camo patterns out there especially the most popular ones are way too dark. I think this is what makes you think that your Predator was too light. However because they are camos meant to really fool game and not hunters, Predator and ASAT are truly the most effective camos you can buy.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »
C2, I do use the Sport Wash on my camo - never regular detergent.  I also turn it inside out before washing to cut down on the fading, but it still will fade out over time.  
I agree most camos are way too dark and that is why I use Predator.  But the advantage to Predator is the contrast between the light and the dark areas helping to break up your outline.  And when it starts to fade it ends up looking like just a big light colored blob. (Instead of a dark colored one like other patterns!)
The Camo Restore really did help bring back the great contrast to the pattern.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline vtbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
Whip its not the washer that fades them but the heated dryer mostly that breaks down the faberic and dyes.
I have had a set on RealTree 20-200 camo I bought at Walmart 8 years ago thats as sound in its colors as the stuff on the shelf today.
My secret is letting mother nature clean and dry it.
I literally put mine out a month or so before the season and hope for multiple rain storms to drench and then sun to dry them.
I have not "washed" mine in 5 years now.
If I get mud, grass stains, or even blood on them, well then thats just added camo.
The rain and wind will take care of any human sweat or shin cells and keep them "April Fresh"
JMO but my camo works well and is far from faded.
"When my bow sings, an arrow zings, the broadhead stings; its just the whisper of death....." -Me

Offline tom sawyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »
IMHO the sun would fade things far faster than the mild heat from a low dryer setting.

Edited to add:  Interesting, I might have to try dying my faded stuff with a little RIT or something.  But I agree that most camo patterns aretoo dark for around here, a few years of fading and they blend in better.
Lennie aka "Tom Thumbs"
"It is better to give than receive- especially advice."  Mark Twain

Online Curtiss Cardinal

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
As far as fading of the black on ASAT and Predator you can use a black farbric marker to re-enforce the black accents in the camo.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline vtbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by tom sawyer:
IMHO the sun would fade things far faster than the mild heat from a low dryer setting.

Edited to add:  Interesting, I might have to try dying my faded stuff with a little RIT or something.  But I agree that most camo patterns aretoo dark for around here, a few years of fading and they blend in better.
I fully agree to sun fading "anything" over time.
However I turn all my stuff inside out and hand them on my back railing.  In 5 or so year I dont think they have seen more then a weeks worth of total sun with all the shade I get on my back deck.  LOL
I swear by this and the clothing smells as clean as anything I have ever smelled and looks great still.
Washing and drying any clothing will fade it far faster then line drying.
"When my bow sings, an arrow zings, the broadhead stings; its just the whisper of death....." -Me

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 05:23:00 PM »
I used Camo Restore on really faded Mossy Oak Break-up and ASAT. I used the brown and turned the Asat to like new colors and the Break-up to a Nat Gear color that looks pretty good. The tans in this camo was almost white before I dyed it.

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 05:43:00 PM »
cool.  I've been looking for something just like this for my old advantage pants and shirts.

Kyle
WWJD

Online Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
I checked the website and it mentions cotton clothing. Anyone ever use it on micro fleece. I have two sets from years ago that have faded very badly in a very short time. The outfits are like new except for the faded camo pattern and it would be a good investment to restore them.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ehntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »
I checked out the website too .........The "restored army shirt" was actually better off before it was restored (for concealment purposes).  The before pic provides more contrast i.e., dark and light while the restored shirt is a dark blob.  Don't get me wrong, it did an excellent job of restoration.  However, the camo design of this shirt is not the best.  Whip, it sounds like your predator camo came out for the better though....

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »
Will it work on wool?  Is your next load of clothes safe from the dye?
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »
Dang, by the time my camo is faded it is time to toss it any way. Too many rocks, sticks and over all wear have been the demise of othwise perfectly good camo.

I do have a few pair that have patches on the patches.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©