INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear SuperMag 48?  (Read 257 times)

Offline PlainsCreeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear SuperMag 48?
« on: September 22, 2005, 08:56:00 AM »
Hello im new to these forums and need some information and who better to ask?  I am very interested in traditional archery after only one year with a compound bow! I am looking hard towards a fred bear supermag 48 for its short length as most of my hunting occurs in dense bush and well a 64" recurve isnt my idea of "maneuverability" so i am looking towards a very short bow and this seems like a good starting point.

Thanks!
Decendant of Pusakawatciwiyiniwak, The Touchwood Hills People.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear SuperMag 48?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »
I've owned a couple of the supermag 48 inchers over the years and have never been impressed with their accuracy or stability...but that just may be me.  Actually, I have found the 52" magnum to be somewhat better..and that length is still plenty short enough for handiness but long enough for accuracy and stability.  In addition, that 52" bow is more common and prices for used ones are somewhat less.
Lon Scott

Offline PlainsCreeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »
OK a 52" would actually be rather maneuverable still yet and if it more "stable" or smooth then thats ok too, better for a beginner like myself:)
Decendant of Pusakawatciwiyiniwak, The Touchwood Hills People.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
i see thet your from canada. if you want my honest opinion i would check out a 56" check-mate take down hunter . for the simple reason if your new to traditional archery i would not go shorter than a56" to start out. then with a take down you could always order new longer limbs if you wanted after a while.if you hunt from the ground or in a tree stand 56" is plenty manuverable beleive me. they also make one of the most awesome 52" bows outthere also their raven one piece. years ago when the short recurves came out hunters where buying them and loosing alot of their accuracy compaired to their longer bows.check out heights archery they are check-mate dealers in canada. then after you get a check-mate and don't like it you could always sell it here without any problem!!! bentpole

Offline Ol'school

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »
The Supermag 48 has a cult following, and seem to get bid high on e-bay. I have one and have used it over the years, had it about 30 yrs. Does have some finger pinch as I draw it 31 inches, but always puts an arrow where I want it. It's the only recurve I kept after shooting longbows, most of which are 70 in.
"I may be getting older, But I hope I NEVER grow up!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »
I also have a Supermag. Mine was made in 69 purchased off Ebay, & refinished by Bowdoc. It puts an arrow where I look, & I draw 29" with a recurve. They do seem to draw a premium on Ebay. I think they are still listed in 3-Rivers Archery for $323.50. I see them for less than that on Ebay, course for $323.50 you get a new one.
  I plan to use mine in the thick stuff, but yes a longer bow is a bit easier to shoot. I really do like mine, & it's quiet that's a real plus. Lotsa good bows out there & just so much time to shoot.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline cast away

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »
I have a 80# super mag -- super fast -- super accurate (don't cant) -- super flat trajectory.  My draw is 27".  I shoot kneeling, standing, and from a camping chair.  I use carbons (4x4 goldtip trad hunters with bear razzor insert heads).
If a man speaks in the forest, and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 10:08:00 PM »
OK heres my 2 cents.I am also new to trad shootingand my first bow is a check mate td hunter.46#@28.The bow is 56 inches and is much more manouverable than I would of believed.I feel it important that when starting out to be pulling a draw weight that you are comftorable with.I would suggest that no more than 50# makes sense.If you are pulling to much weight you will have a hard time hitting squat.Also the check mate is made in Canada EH.

Good hunting

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline TaylorJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 11:49:00 PM »
Another option is the Chek Mate Atilla 56". I've got one, and am very pleased! Made in BC, you know.
- Taylor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©