INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Norm Mullaney's Test Results of Fedora Bows  (Read 454 times)

Offline FLHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Norm Mullaney's Test Results of Fedora Bows
« on: July 26, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
I got this information from another site posted by Papa Bull.

Reports of outstanding results reported by Norb Mullaney while testing Fedora bows have been circulating for awhile. We asked Mike Fedora if he would care to share the specifications and his own comments regarding the bows. Like many bowyers, he was a little reluctant because he believes shootability is the first criteria of a great bow. But persistence paid off and Mike and Jason acquiesced, so here is the information they forwarded to me:

These tests were performed by Norb Mullaney, who is well known for his exemplary testing procedures, which eliminate as many vairables as possible during the testing process.

The velocities reported here were obtained without the use of bamboo, carbon or Dynema bowstrings in any of the bows, all of which will increase speed and yield higher figures.

TEST RESULTS

1. 560 Fedora Hunter 60” Recurve

60# with 540 grain arrow
    211fps Endless loop dacron
    *218fps Standard fast light string

2. 560 Fedora 60” Recurve-Custom built in 1960(44 years old!!!)

60# with 540 grain arrow
    211fps endless loop dacron
    *218fps endless loop, standard fast flight string

3. Fedora Xcellerator 60” Longbow

60# with 540 grain arrow
    206fps endless loop dacron
    *213fps standard fast flight string

4. Fedora Stalker Magnum 52” Recurve

55# with 540 grain arrow
    186fps endless loop dacron
    *193fps TradMall custom Dynaflight97 String

* adjusted to reflect calculated performance of 60# with 540 grain arrow:
    204 fps with endless loop dacron and 211 ps with Dynaflight 97 custom string

*Most bowyers agree that carbon increases speed approximately 3-5fps, bamboo 2-3fps and Dynema 2-3fps. If we add the lesser amount of the 3, we get a total of 7pfs more.

Comments by Norb Mullaney:

“Thank you for the opportunity to examine and test your bows. The quality and craftsmanship exhibited is exemplary. I am particularly impressed with the shape and disposition of the grip. I found it to be one of the most comfortable I have found an especially configured to minimize bow hand torque. As a result of our discussion of the features of the different bows and your philosophy of matching the bow to the individual archer or bowhunter. I can fully subscribe to your assertion that you are a true “custom” bow builder”. Very truly yours, Norbert F. Mullaney,P.E.

Our shop has no ambition to become involved in speed contests or debates. There our many good fast bows being built by various bowmakers. No one person has the market cornered. I personally believe that a quiet reliable bow is even more important to the hunter than speed. There is a lot of discussion regarding CNC machines and their use in bow building. They are not new and it is my experience by observing the process and the results of CNC production for over 35 years that the limbs made on these machines cannot compare to the quality of handmade custom limbs made by custom bowyers who have mastered their art. I have observed many twisted limbs from these machines.. Ask if your bow was made on a CNC machine, if it was, have a primitive type bowyer check your limbs for twist.

Yours in archery and good hunting, Mike Fedora

AMO test results are based on a 60# draw weight at a 30" draw shooting a 540 grain arrow (9 grains/#).
Aim Hard!

Online Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Norm Mullaney's Test Results of Fedora Bows
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »
I would like to see the Full report..   :saywhat:  

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Pigdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 07:59:00 PM »
Sackett, I believe when he is talking CNC he is talking about the limbs (possably the Korean Samick, Sam-wha, Aim  type) not the riser.  

As far as I know BW is the only one using the CNC on wood risers and I have nevewr ever heard of a problem with those.

Real cool to see the old bow speeds exactly the same as the new, I would have thought the newer bow would have a couple more FPS in it since I thought the glass would be of better quality.

The bows were drawn to 30 I would imagine but it was sorta unclear if the bows were measured at 28" (so about 66 at 30") or 30", fast on either count.

He is bang on with the carbon, bamboo when comparing it to elm,maple or such (yew is pretty much identical as bamboo), and Dynema speeds.

CUJO
 (I had to use my old nick because my normal one is used here by someone else)

Offline Phil Magistro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »
Bob Morrison uses a CNC machine to make his bows and his bows are top notch.  I could never find fault with a CNC.  It just holds tolerances so much better than any hand-held operation.

Phil
"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best."    - Oscar Wilde

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 12:45:00 AM »
I have heard that Norm Johnson of Blacktail bows also uses CNC.  I could be wrong.  To me CNC is just another tool that has come along becuase of the invention of computers.  I bet you Fedora uses power table saws, power drills, power sanders,  or other power equipment he has invented himself to get the job done.  What if all these tools had just been invented a year ago  then what would some bowyers be saying today.  "Unless you made the bow  all by hand with no aid of any power tools then its not in the same class and inferior."    CNC is a good thing for bowyers if you can afford them not a bad thing.  It just another power tool to be added to the existing power tools they use today.  Moreover, it probably speeds up the arrival of your bow, which is welcomed by most purchasers.

Offline FLHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »
I think Mr. Fedora's concern with CNC is mostly in the tillering area.  Its also true that wood is not as stable to mill as metal or synthetic materials because it is subseptable to moisture changes and other problems.  

Whether Fedora chooses to make their bows without the aid of CNC technology is not really important. What is important is that Fedora produces a fine line of excellent performing bows, which are competitive with any other bowyer out there.    :thumbsup:
Aim Hard!

Offline Tedd@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 11:09:00 AM »
Morrison plans to CNC risers to more affordably and quickly get  exact risers to the point were he can then spend more quality time on the final shaping and customizing of them. Makes sense to me.
Tedd
You never know how much is "enough" until you know how much is "more than enough"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
I just traded a bow that had been made on a CNC for a Fedora, and I've got to say I love the Fedora!  I'm not saying that the difference is in CNC versus not, I'm just saying the Fedora is a finely made bow and I was amazed at how nice and fast that it shoots.  
The one I received on the trade is actually a bit short for me, but it shoots so nice I'm keeping it anyway.  And I have added a 64" Fedora to the list of bows I would like to someday own.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »
I don't know if this is supposed to imply that the Fedora is now, or has been, making the fastest traditional bow out there or not.  But if the design has actually been tested by Mr. Mullany and is now the fastest, I'd like to see the actual report from Mr. Mullany.  Anything else is smoke & mirrors and/or conjecture.  We have enough of that from many custom bowyers already.

Either way, Mr. Fedora seems to have a very fast bow design, but if Mr. Fedora is making or has been making the fastest out there, and it has in fact been tested by Mr. Mullany, show us the actual report that was sent to you please.  Let the facts speak for themselves.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline C. M. Sackett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 07:42:00 PM »
Well, the Fedora I spoke of arrived today.

560 Hunter 60" Recurve.  73# @30", in superb condition.

It's a sweetheart of a shooter, as far as how it feels.  But a speed queen?... NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Don't believe me?  Then bring your chrono and scales... and shoot it for yourself.

Again, fine weapon... even though she doesn't come close to those lofty numbers listed above.

Sackett
"The cost of Freedom tends to be very high.  The cost of apathy... incalculable".

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Blacktail bows also use a CNC machine and I sure don't see anything wrong with them or the three P series Widows I own.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
I believe Lewis Hollow Archery uses a CNC mill. Chris has a good reputation and his bows are reasonable.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Fedora makes some of the best recurves,maybe the best.But dont let him fool ya,they are not the fasted that report just proves that he hasnt made any advances since the sixties and he also makes compounds[nothing wrong with that]but when he gets on his soapbox about trad. or other bowyers inabilities...well if you know him you just gotta chuckle.  :knothead:
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Well put Tim . Thats a fair assessment, I could not have said it better my self, except to add that there are several recurves thatwould leave them in their dust.

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
I read the most efficient tradbows tested by Norb[maybe it was Emory Louisel]were the O.L. Adcock and the Black Swan Hybrid.

Offline Slickheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Not sure If Black Widow uses a cnc for there limbs,but if they do they still have to finish them by hand(tiler)before they are finished.
A good clean kill or a good clean miss...I thank the Lord for both!

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
Whats wrong with useing CNC anyways ?

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
Were these figures obtained shooting through Norb's graph or Fedora's?  I am very doubtful of those speeds unless they were actually achieved shooting through Norb's personal graph.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
I have several Fedora bows and had and sold a Morrison Cheyenne.  The Cheyenne seemed faster but it was tough on the shoulder.  The Fedora seemed to have a better fit and finish and a smoother draw.  However, for me the Foley bow is a great compromise between the two.
"Earth has no sorrow which Heaven cannot heal...."
        - Baptist Minister

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©