INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Hoyt GameMaster T/D Recurve  (Read 746 times)

Offline BrokenArrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Hoyt GameMaster T/D Recurve
« on: August 26, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »
New for August 04. Has an aluminum Tec riser and maple laminated limbs. 62" AMO. My riser is black w clear glass limbs, also comes camo/camo. Comes w nice padded roll up case, DynaFlight97 string, silencers, rest/plate, wrenches. Drilled for sight/quiver, rest and stabilizer.

It's got a wide shelf cut past center. The stick on rest/plate were too narrow for me (I shot way right). Put a NAP Center Flipper rest on it and tuned it, now it shoots great. Very fast, smooth, and quiet.
>>>>----->

Offline Suremissalot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hoyt GameMaster T/D Recurve
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »
Can you post any pictures? Have you chronied it yet? Sorry for all the questions, but this looks like it might be my next bow.
Jared

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/       <- Great Reading!!

Offline trevor_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 04:35:00 PM »
A friend of mine shot the gamemaster, and said for the price, it was a pretty good bow.  pretty smooth, pretty fast , kinda noisy.  He's used to wooden handled bows, I guess.  Even after looking at it, I cant say that I would buy it.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »
The curious thing about the HOYT GAMEMASTER is that the most I see posted on them is people trying to sell them almost new, and no one wanting to buy them.

WASSUP WIT DAT!
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Doug R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
Most of the time from what I've seen its because they want one with lighter poundage limbs. I have shot one and realy liked it, smooth draw and quick. A little noisey in my opinion but I have heard from enough that own one  that it shouldnt be much of a problem to fix. The price seems to vary quite a bit from different areas. So some can buy a new for what some want for used. I'm sure it will level out when more bows are out.

Offline Tom Cappon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 08:34:00 PM »
Gonna know more on the Gamemaster recurves 2005 model. Trying to get one to shoot is impossible. All the dealers say you have to buy one to get one through there dealerships her in upstate NY Called every one here and No one has one to shoot. Can any one tell me more.I like wood bows but am willing to try this on,Its not like the PSE coyote I hope.. Someone please tell me more cause I don't think you can try one here until you buy. Not sure its woth buying one,until I get to shoot it. Can't believe Hoyt won't give us more on the bow Thanks Tom

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 03:18:00 AM »
I've posted on other sites and forums about the Hoyt Gamemasters but I'll give you the scoop on these bows.

In my opinion, it's one of the best shooting and valued bows on the market. You've got the proven Hoyt geometry in the bows (deflexed riser and proven olympic style limbs) on a hunting length and weight bow. This gives an awesome combination of performance and stability. The bow has a good feel in the hand and balances well during and after the shot. Smooth draw out to about 29.5" to 30". The grip on the bow is narrow and, I feel, very torque free.

I think the Gamemaster is a very versatile bow. Of course, as a takedown it offers the option of multiple limb weights. With standard mounting holes for stabilizer, rest, sight/quiver the bow can be set up many ways. It can be shot off the shelf with little setup for those who prefer the "barebow" feel. You can set it up with a rest, stab. , sights, etc for a full blown target rig, or even as a bowfishing bow without spending a wad on special attachments. I can't think of many other bows that offer this versatility.

I personally have mine set up with a NAP CenterRest and a quiver. The rest give beatiful arrow flight and allows more control on the tuning process. I put a little adhesive backed neoprene under the limbs to take out any limb/riser sound (something I do on any takedown bow anyways), a little moleskin where the string contacts the limb, silencers in the string, and I just recently put Limbsavers on it 4" from the riser on the belly of the limbs. I've found metal riser bows to have a different tone when shot and the limbsavers completely eliminate that. It is super quiet, smooth, and very quick. At 8 gr/lb with my 28.5" draw the bow averages 202 fps, 9 gr/lb 194 fps, 10 gr/lb 189 fps, and thats as far as I tested. Those numbers are with a 12 strand d-97 string. Dacron averaged about 9-11 fps slower and the original factory string about 4-5 fps slower.  Certainly performs equal or better to many customs I've handled.

The biggest problem I've heard with these bows is the noise. I think that the problem is with the string supplied with the bow. They may have changed this but originally they were making the strings from a zero stretch material. The same material used to make cables for compounds. That material has no give and makes a distinctive noise on release. I've since switched to a few other string materials and they are all significantly quieter. In fact, with the new strings I've got on my bows I don't need Limbsavers to get rid of noise... it's not there. I'd recommend getting rid of the original string right away and using a D-97 or 8125 string on the bow.

For the money and the shooting characteristics of the bow I don't think you can go wrong. Since I've recieved mine I'm selling all my other bows.  My search is at an end :-)

Chris

Offline holadude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »
I shot with a guy that had one at Denton last summer.  His was 53# @28" just like my Widow, and it put the arrows out fast!  I tried it and liked it.  A little noisier than my Widow, but felt good.
We chrono'd our bows and his Hoyt chrono'd at around 200fps with 550 grain arrows and he only has about 27" draw.  I pull 28" and my widow only put out 190fps with 500 grain carbons, so the Hoyt outshot mine in power.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »
I am getting one to field test, along with some new carbon inside/aluminum outside arrows that are 14.1 grains per inch...will have them pretty soon.

Will post back once its in my hot little hands.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hunt Stealth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 09:18:00 AM »
What is the cost of the Hoyt Gamemaster, can anyone tell me.

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 11:52:00 PM »
$409.00 for a new one at a local dealer here in PA.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline fatkitty27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
I got the gamemaster about a month ago, and I have to say that I am one satisfied customer!  I've been shooting compound exclusively for the past 8 years or so (going from a cheap no-name model to a Golden Eagle Ultra-Evolution to a PSE G-Force).  I like my trusty g-force, but I have to admit that I have a new favourite in this Hoyt.  

I can't offer the kind of review that Str8shooter has provided, but I can say that it's surprisingly fast even at 48#/29.5 inches (and I'm used to a g-force @ 75 pounds!), totally shock-free, not too loud (IMHO), and insanely solid, thanks to the Tec riser.  Speaking of that, it's almost a strange feeling to draw the bow and not feel any flex in the grip: zip, zero, nothing - in fact, it's something you have to experience to realize that it's not a gimmick.  As a plus, due to the Tec design, the grip itself is quite small, and with the way I grip the bow (semi-open handed with a curled index finger), it feels just perfect and is torque-free.  But...For someone who like a "meaty" grip, it would likely be a turn-off though, just FYI.

When handling and assembling the bow, you can tell it's top-quality tackle, but it's a Hoyt, so no surpise there.  It comes with a flemmish string, which I like, but realize it's a matter of opinion so I'll just leave it at that.

I've been shooting it instinctively off the shelf, just to get used to its feel and to find my anchor, but plan to put a nice sight (gibbs perhaps) and rest on it in the near future.

Although I love all-out speed and lettoff etc, I can't say that I miss anything about compound shooting.  In fact, now that I've gotten used to the gamegetter, I rather like the feel of shooting from the peak of the draw rather than a lettoff valley.  

One thing to be cautious of, and this is what I'm guessing is causing lots of quick turnover (see above): I think that people are buying them too heavy.  I can't stress enough that I very comfortably shoot my g-force at 75 lbs (I'm 6ft, 190 lbs in good shape), but the gamegetter, even at 48 lbs, has me very aware that I'm holding the weight.  Don't get me wrong; it's smooth and stack-free, but it may not feel like that at first to someone used to a high letoff compound - especially if they get a model at 55 or 60 lbs.  In fact, even 50 pounds may not be too enjoyable at first for some.

All in all, I'm confident that my gamegetter will see more time on my range than anything else!

I hope this helps!
Shredder

Offline wlmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 11:37:00 PM »
Has anybody tried the New Hoyt Tiburon ?

Offline fatkitty27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »
Not yet, but interestingly, when I went to the shop, I was planning to buy the Tibouron; however, I would have had to order it.  The shop owner said it's almost the same as the G-Getter to shoot, just a little more expensive, a bit less "skeletal" looking in the riser and a bit heavier.  I opted for the G-getter as it was immediatley avaialable, (allegedly) lighter and because I could test it out.

Anyway, all that to say that the tibouron looks and sounds like it's really sweet, and if it really is similar to the G.Getter, it should shoot nice.  I'm curious as well to hear what others think of it.
Shredder

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 12:57:00 AM »
My Gamemaster arrived yesterday and I couldn't be happier.
Mine has Win&Win "Focus" limbs (carbon/maple Olympic limbs) an NAP Centerrest flipper, short stabilizer, quiver and Mountain Muffler strings.

It is very quiet. (almost as quiet as the Black Swan Hybrid I just finished testing) It is extremely smooth (about 48# at my 27.5" draw) and has absolutely no stack for as far back as I can pull it. Obviously there is no handshock or vibration.

It is currently set up with some Arrow Dynamics Trad Lights and I am shooting better than I have ever shot with traditional equipment. I could not be happier.

My Gamemaster isn't exactly stock but it does show the inherent flexability of the design.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 07:13:00 AM »
My Game getter was a 50# camo/camo model. Although this bow seemed fast it was noisy,and I did not care for the small grip. I shot stumps and targets with it awhile but it just was not for me. I changed strings and had the limbsavers on still that matallic ring...Just my 2 cents ..Bobby

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »
I think one of the most important things you can do to these bows is put something between the limbs and the riser to provide some padding. I have seen some people use a piece of inner tube. I have the back of the limb and the riser interface covered with cloth camo tape.
I also have a set of limbsavers and the Mountain Muffler strings. The string currently has a set of string leaches but I will probably replace those with some whiskers before too long.

My bow is remarkably quiet. I really like the small grip. It fits my hand very well.

Do you have any good shoots over there in Slatington? I have some very close friends that live in town so I find myself over there from time to time.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »
I had the chance to shoot my custom Gamemaster through a chronograph today.
The bow is set up with W&W Focus limbs, 48# at my draw length. Tie on nock point and 2 rubber whiskers on a DF97 Mountain Muffler string. Using a W&W 360 tab. The arrows are Arrow Dynamics Traditional Lites with a finished weight of 461gr.
I was shooting between 180 and 185fps.

Call it 183 at 9.6gr/lb
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Gamemaster conversions ar now officially offered by   DAS Kinetics
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline teach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »
Jaeger,
      Just took possesion of my gamemaster modified by Dave Sosa of DAS Kinetics.I too have it tricked out with oly. limbs. I especially love the narrow grip. I also am shooting better than I ever have.
 Whats the wt. of your trad lights?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©