INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Redwing recurve  (Read 189 times)

Offline KevinS

• Trad Bowhunter
Redwing recurve
« on: August 26, 2004, 04:32:00 PM »
I'm looking at getting into traditional archery after having shot compound for years and found one used bow for sale locally at an archery shop and wanted the opinion of some folks with more time into this than me.  The bow is a 46# Wing Archery Redwing Hunter, appears to be good condition no twisting or cracks, new string, and the price is $80.
I have heard of the wing archery company before but never really had any experience with their products, is this a good bow, and is the price good for it?
Also, am I correct in my understanding that the draw weight is calculated based on a 28" draw length?

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Redwing recurve
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »
Kevin...nothing wrong with a Wing bow to start out with.  If memory serves me correctly, Bob Lee had Wing Archery in it's hayday.  Probably a bunch of these bows still out there and in service.  Generally weight is based on a 28" draw but you can have a bow custom made to your draw lenght.  Where you at in sw Ohio?  OSTA is shooting at Coshocton on 9-4 &9-5.  There will be vendors there.  You could try out several different bows.  Also, you might get more response to your questions if you posted this on the pow wow forum.

Offline KevinS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 11:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the information on the other section, first day on the forum so still need to learn my way around.  At the current time really a new bow isn't in my pricerange so that's why I've been looking at the used market.  Only found the one for sale locally at a price I could afford so far, other than that it's been places like ebay, and I'm one of those folks that I'd rather pay alittle extra and get the one I can see and feel versus buying off fait from an auction site.  Also as far as custom made to draw that really isn't an issue as my draw length is just a hair over 28" so for the most part printed weights will be pretty close to correct for me.
As far as where in Ohio I'm south of Dayton in the Springboro/Miamisburg area.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »
Kevin...sent you a pm.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »
Red Wing Hunters are good bows, and the weight is a good one to start with. The price is right, too, if it's in good shape. I have heard that quality slipped somewhat after AMF bought the
company, but Wing and Head Ski are the good ones.

Welcome back from the dark side!

Gene
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 08:56:00 AM »
KEVIN

THe red wing hunters went through three phases.  The original Wing Archery Company bow has a logo that says "WING ARCHERY COMPANY". Theses were the originals by Bob Lee and are most sought after by collectors.  They were made in Bubinga, Rosewood, and some other woods as riser material. The more exotic the wood, the higher the collectors value (in good condition)

The next phase was when Bob Lee sold to AMF.  The logo will have "AMF" on it.  This followed by the Head Ski Company.  Beneath the LOG it says "A DIV OF HEAD SKI CO.".  These last two phases are less desirable by collectors, but are still decnt shooters.  Many owners will argue that they are just as good as the original, if not better.  Everyone has his own opinion. I have some of each.

The Red Wing Hunter has a reputation for being one of the best hunting bows in their time period.  If it is in good condition, you made a good buy.

It is a smart move on your part to start with a less expensive used bow.  The hobby can get expensive, and many new shooters make the mistake of starting out with a high dollar custom bow, only to find out that it is not right for them.  Picking a bow is very personal.  What is right for you may not be right for me or someone else.  I suggest that you try to make some 3-D shoots over the next year and get a look at what others are shooting.  Many guys will be proud to let you shoot their bows.  Check a few out and find one that suits you best.  Go for a draw weight that you can handle comfortably.  DO NOT overbow yourself.  Although the heavier bows may shoot flatter, and have more punch, it does not do you any good if you cannot hit your target consistantly.

When it comes time to buy a new bow, you will pretty much get your money back on teh RWH, however, I would keep the RED WING since it is your first bow.  Don't ever forget how you started.  My first hunting bow was a 50# Ben Pearson Super Jet solid fiberglass .  It cost me $13.00 in 1958.  I was 12years old - still got it!!

WELCOME TO TRAD GANG and welcome to the "Sport of Kings".

Feel free to ask me, or any TRAD GANGER, any questions that you want.  Collectively, we have thousands of years of experience here.  Take advantage of it.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©