INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Navajo Caddo Longbow  (Read 475 times)

Offline archerelf5

• Trad Bowhunter
Navajo Caddo Longbow
« on: June 15, 2004, 06:09:00 PM »
Has anyone shot one of these by Roy Hall?  What was your opinion on it?  If you were to order one, what length, wood, etc would you choose?  Any drawbacks to his bows?  Thanks in advance!
May the sun shine upon your path and your arrow find its mark...

Offline Donavan Daniel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Navajo Caddo Longbow
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 06:19:00 PM »
Hello Archerelf5,
Funny that you bring up the Caddo since I have one on the way. It should be here in a week or so. I will let you know more when I get it in my hands   :D  !

Cheers,
Donavan

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »
I shot one at Cloverdale, very nice bow,easy to hit what your looking at. It had a little handshock but that was due to the braceheight being a little low, we didnt mess with it just shot it. All in all a very nice bow.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline archerelf5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 06:58:00 PM »
Thanks Donavan!  I can't wait to hear your input!  :thumbsup:

Hi there Indy - my husband and I also shot the Caddo at Cloverdale.  We were puzzling over the handshock issue.  Thanks for mentioning what it was.  We thought maybe my arrows were too light, which is still a possibility.  They are pretty nice bows.

Offline Donavan Daniel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »
I guess that I can tell you about the bow that I have coming. I bought it used, but from the pictures and what I have been told, it is basicly brand new.

It has curly maple limbs, face and back. The limbs are stained dark from the tips and fade to the natural colour part ways to the riser. The riser back is made of cocobolo, while the face of the riser is curly maple. It is a very beautiful looking bow   :thumbsup:  !

The bow is left handed (I can shoot both right and left, I'm a confused little boy LOL). 62" and 53#@27". The gent that I bought it from is ordering another one right away! He really loves Roy's bows   :D  ! He is selling it (sold), because he can not handle the weight due to health reasons   :(  .

Once I get it and put some arrows through it, I will let you know how great it is   ;)  !

Cheers,
Donavan

Offline archerelf5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 12:12:00 PM »
It sounds really beautiful!  Can't wait to hear from ya when you shoot it.  :)

Cheers,
April

Offline skeeter175

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
Hi April.  I shot a Caddo at Cloverdale too and it went home with me!  I've shot it every day since and am extremely pleased with it.

Offline archerelf5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 08:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the info skeeter!  What poundage/color?  Is there any hand shock?  Brace height would be a factor in that from what I understand.  What is the brace height on one if you don't mind my asking?  I know those bows draw really smoothly.  And they're very beautiful. (shhh, don't tell, but I might get one for my husband for his birthday) *looks over shoulder to make sure he's not watching me post this*   ;)   lol

Offline skeeter175

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 10:17:00 PM »
Wish I'd get something like that for my birthday !!!  I didn't happen onto you while I was buying mine did I?  Just wondered as there was a couple there looking at the bows, thought if that was the case then you'd all ready seen it!  Anyway mine is a 60# cocobola/cobote and I am not experiencing any handshock whatsoever.  Brace height on it is 6 5/8". The more I shoot it, the more I like it!  I really liked the looks of the birdseye maple ones but there were not any made up in the poundage I was looking for and I am a "get it now" person (lol)!

Offline archerelf5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 05:10:00 PM »
lol Heck you might have run into us.  We ran into a couple buying a Caddo for his wife (I think it was for the Mrs.).  It was a 60lbs as I recall, but she had a 24" draw which obviously brought the poundage down. Anyways, I think I'm gonna get one for him.  He did like it a lot.  I enjoyed it too, but I already have a longbow I'm smitten with so I'll wait awhile.  Sides, I'm dying to get a Mongol horse bow first. lol

Offline skeeter175

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 08:00:00 PM »
Yes that was us !!(lol)  We went up to Compton this weekend and I shot my old Saxon the first day and the Caddo the second day.  It shot beautifully for me! If you didn't make it up there this year you should put it on your list.  Great setting, great people, lots of fun!

Offline limbbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 01:53:00 AM »
I've got one. 62" 56# @ 28". Definitely shoots where you point it. Negligible handshock. Bocote limbs/shedua riser. Like it a lot. Mr. Hall is a very nice gentleman to deal with on top of that.  :)

Offline archerelf5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 03:41:00 PM »
Skeeter: OMG, how funny is that!  Fancy meeting you here online. lol  I'll definitely add Compton you the schedule for next year.  I just had foot surgery (  :p  ) that I'm recovering from, but would have loved to have gone to Compton.

Limbbow: Mr. Hall is very nice!  I agree completely.  My husband and I enjoyed talking with him, and shooting his bows.  ;)

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »
Archerelf5,
            I've had one of Roys caddo's for over a year now. An excellent longbow. You can't go wrong with any of Roy's bows. Brace height set at 6 5/8" to 7" is perfect. Mine is cocobolo and tiger maple. 59#'s @ 27" and 62" long. Shoots right where you look.
I reckon so

Offline archerelf5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the input John!  ;)

Offline osage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 07:27:00 AM »
I had one untill a few weeks ago, it was to heavy in weight then. Roy makes a fine looking, good shooting bow, smooth drawing, fast shooting and the best grip, i have ever used. I have a new one on order. The curly maple lims are nice.

Offline Donavan Daniel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »
Osage1, how are you doing? I'm the guy that bought your bow! It is really beautiful and shoots great! It is smooth and quick.

Archerelf5, I'm going to shoot it a lot more over the weekend since I just got it yesterday! It took along time to get here. I will be able to shoot from longer distances and see what I can get it to do!

Cheers,
Donavan

Offline Donavan Daniel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2004, 07:13:00 PM »
I've been shooting the Caddo for about a week now. Is it ever a nice shooting bow!

Archerelf5, I know that you said that there was handshock on the one that you shot. My bow has nothing more than a slight vibration, and I mean very slight. I've found it to be louder then my Super Shrew, but I think it is because of the different string silencers on each bow.

I can shoot it very accuratly when I do my part! It is a super nice bow and I really enjoy shooting it! Until my new Super Shrew gets here, this is now my hunting bow! You won't be disapointted with the Caddo!

Cheers,
Donavan

Offline Reloading Rich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 12:37:00 AM »
archerelf5,
I bought two of Roy's bows at Denton Hill this year a 56" Caddo and a 62 inch Caddo.  They are both so smoooooooth and both shoot very well at my draw length of 28".  I was a bit weary at first regarding stacking of the 56" version but my fears were unfounded.  They have quickly become a couple of my "top shelf" bows.
If you aim at nothing you are sure to hit your target.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »
Fellas, if you know of anyone wanting a brand new Caddo, please e mail me. I have had this "stock" bow in my shop 2 yrs. Brand spanking new, Curly maple limbs, cocobolo and curly maple riser. 62" long, 60# at 28", RH. Price is $450 plus shipping.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©