INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Petzl Tikka Plus Head Lamp.  (Read 376 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Petzl Tikka Plus Head Lamp.
« on: June 01, 2004, 04:57:00 PM »

What took me so long!!!  Can't believe I've carried flash lights so long since I've been testing out this head lamp.

I've seen many different ones, and never had the 'urge' to buy one for several reasons.

However, this one I liked what I saw, and I am tickled to be able to not have to keep up with a flash light for walking into the woods.

This light is very versital, that's why I'm posting about it.

#1...its light and compact.

#2....its comfortable to wear.

#3....has 3 levels of brightness, plus a strobe.

#4...comes with colored lenses that you can easily swap out.

#5....batteries are in the same compartment as the light, and give good service times.

Clear for general use, and walking into not so familiar areas with plenty of light, or for 'camp' after dark.

Red for being able to find your way in familiar areas without anouncing your presence with the white light.

And Green, for blood trailing after dark.  This one I have not had the pleasure of testing yet, but a friend of mine said the green made the blood jump right out at you.

Turely looking forward to using this new hands free light this coming season.
I like running 600 grain arrows with 4 Blade heads through animals with 60# + Bows!!!!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline Dante

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Petzl Tikka Plus Head Lamp.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 05:18:00 PM »
Been meaning to buy one of these as well.  It was a can't miss buy from the product reviews in backpacker magazine.  How long you think them batteries last?

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »
Dante,

I threw the package away, and it had the times listed for each level.  Lemme see what I can find out.
I like running 600 grain arrows with 4 Blade heads through animals with 60# + Bows!!!!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »
T ya need to show a pic with you sporting the device...will it fit all size heads...thanks..mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online mshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »
Terry,

Where did you buy it that the lenses came with it, everywhere I look they are extra?  Just trying to save a buck ya know....
Is that MY arrow.....

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »
Lathrop and Son's...on the vendor's list.

Still haven't had time to find out about the battery times...but I do remember that they were not short like some of these LED flashlights.

tarz@tradgang.com

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 04:29:00 PM »
OK...I got the times.

Maximum.........80 hours.

Optimum........120 hours.

Econmical......150 hours.

Intermitent....400 hours.

tarz@tradgang.com

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »
WOW, thats a really good run time!, I have been using an ultra brite sure-fire light and it runs out in about an hour! Awesome light when you need it but I gotta get me one of them petzles.

Offline BLACKEAGLE66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 11:08:00 PM »
How about giving me a web address and price for this light.

Thanks.

Shawn

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Lathrop and Son's...on the vendor's list.

tarz@tradgang.com

Offline Sparta-T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »
T--I put one of the regular Petzl Tikka's on my Christmas list a few years ago and pretty much save it just for blood trailing.  I don't mind using the Mini-mag on my pack for walking in and out in the dark, but save the "good stuff" for when I need it most.  When your concentration is on the ground and you are trying to keep your eyes from getting poked out in the dark, it is very nice to have something that points exactly where your head is looking and your hands free.

As you said, it is very lightweight and throws a lot of light from a couple AAA batteries.  Mine are still the originals, although I keep a spare set along just in case.  If you ever have to field dress a critter in the dark, you will appreciate the headlamp to the fullest extent.  I did one several years ago with the Mini-mag clamped between my teeth and had "lock-jaw" for about 3 days afterwards.

Good product and review.......     :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:    TL
Doubt is a traitor that makes us lose what we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
                      Shakespeare

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 01:26:00 PM »
I bought one this summer.  Got it at Noggintops and also got the colored lenses.  Looks like it is going to be a good purchase.

Offline chippewa309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 11:37:00 PM »
How does the brightness of one of these compare to a regular flashlight, say a Mini Maglight maybe? I've been wanting to get one of these LED types of lights for a while now but hesitated because I didn't know and couldn't figure out how they compared to my Mini Maglight I've always used.
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."

Offline Sparta-T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »
Chip--The LED light is more "bluish" in comparison to a Mini-Mag, but seems to throw more intense light where you want it.  As stated above, I use mine only for blood trailing and have found it to be excellent.  The Tikka is so small and compact, you forget you have it until you need it.  I'm not sorry one bit for getting mine..........  TL
Doubt is a traitor that makes us lose what we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
                      Shakespeare

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »
What size Mag Lite?

One of them 4 barreled D-Cellers?...heck no...Twin AA...yeah...I'd say so....but more of a true crisper light.

tarz@tradgang.com

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 02:06:00 PM »
Used mine for the first time last weekend.  Season opener in KY.  Didn't really need it walking in, but I dropped my radio crossing a fence and turned it on to find the radio.  

They aren't what I would consider real bright, but the quality of the light is incredible.  I've never seen a light that casts a beam that is this "clean" (for lack of a better word).  

There is plenty of light to walk in and out of the woods, but you won't be spotlighting anything with it.  The beam only goes out 10 - 15 yards, but it is plenty to see by.  Points right where you look and easily stows in a fanny pack.

Found the radio, by the way, but didn't find the deer that day.

Online mshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »
I helped the neighbor kid look for a buck he shot the other night with the Tikka Plus and the green lens.  No offense Tarz but your buddy was wrong.  The only think the green lens did was make the blood look dark green along with half the other things on the ground around it.  But, I do like the light in general, very bright and like said above "clean"
Is that MY arrow.....

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 10:44:00 PM »
mshane....I found that out too...tracking an elk for a guy last month.

But, like you said...in general, its worked real good for me so far.

tarz@tradgang.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©