INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lathrop and Son's boot sytems.  (Read 465 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lathrop and Son's boot sytems.
« on: June 01, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »

I am still reviewing my new boots, but I'd like to share what I have found so far.

I once had a pair of One Sport Morans, that were the only 'through' hiking boots of the Appalachian Trail.  What that means is, that you could walk the entire Appalachian Trail with a single pair of these boots.  Most hikers would go through 2 or 3 pairs of boots of other brands, and the Morans were the only one's tuff enough to make it the entire distance.

I've had these boots for 6 years now, and they are still rocking.  They were the most supportive, dependable, and comfortable boots I'd ever owned. I wore them to work, hunting, hiking, you name it.  I liked them so much, I bought another pair.  But these were different, don't know why, but they aren't as comfortable as my O'l standbys.  This I didn't like.

Took some advise from 3 guys I highly respect, and bought a pair of Meindl Island Pros from Lathrop and Sons...with their foot bed system.

All I can say so far is that I am very please to find another boot that compares to my o'l standbys so far.  They remind me so much of my Morans....suportive, are very comfortable, and the foot bed is the cat's meow.  I've not put them to the real test yet, but I will, and I am sure they will perform for me like I am expecting them....and I'm sure they are going to be as dependable due to the quality of construction and the leather.

This is a review in progress, and I'll report back after I've given them the proper "Cohutta Test".

As for now, I'd highly recommend the foot bed.  You can buy the foot bed for the boots you own now if they have a removeble boot bed.

To read about 'why' the foot bed, and view/read about there boots, click the link below.  They are listed on the vendor's link.

Lathrop and Sons
I like running 600 grain arrows with 4 Blade heads through animals with 60# + Bows!!!!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

' An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to execution' - Me

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lathrop and Son's boot sytems.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »
I bought a pair also on the way to Cloverdale. They spent a lot of time with me to get them just right. I could tell a big differece with and without the footbed system. They are good people to deal with and the boots are quality.

Offline Ray G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »
I have used the same boots I got from Steve Lanthrop for about 8 months. I not only got a great pair of boots but he bent over backwards to make sure my foot problem was being addressed.

I have been suffering from foot pain for years due to working on concrete for most of my life plus the miles of running my trainer had me doing.  I sent in photos from my knees down and included photos of the type of wear my regular footwear was receiving.  After numerous conversations with Steve and advice from his father I was advised to get on an aggressive  stretching program for the tendons, muscles and ligaments for my lower legs.  It took awhile but the improvement exceeded my expectations.  

This is the kind of product and service you get when we support the people that share our love and passion for Traditional Archery. We should always go out of our way to support a company like Lanthrops.  By supporting our vendors here, rather than the 'big guys', to save a few dollars, will insure we will always have professional and personal service.  Service, quality and standing behind the product after the sale far exceed the importance of cost.

I'll be ordering another pair soon.  Sorry this got so long, but I thought I would have to live with foot pain for the rest of my life.  

Thanks Steve, Ray

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 09:32:00 AM »
I bought another pair of foot beds for another pair of boots....and I have a 2nd pair of Meindles on the way....the Air Revs.  Can't wait to get these light weight boots for early season scouting/hunting.

My Island Pro's are really making me glad I invested in these boy's system.  These boots are very rugged, suportive, and compfy, compfy, compfy.
I like running 600 grain arrows with 4 Blade heads through animals with 60# + Bows!!!!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 09:43:00 AM »
Just recieved the Air Revolutions....gonna wear them in my office for a few days to make sure they fit, then take them out for a test hike.

Can't tell ya anything about them yet except that they look to be just as well made as the Island Pros listed above, which BTW, are quickly becoming my most favorite boot ever,

Tarzzzzzzzz

tarz@tradgang.com

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 09:00:00 AM »
The Air Revs are the stealth model.  I love em.  Got a nice ridgid last like the Island Pros, but are much lighter in weight, giving the feeling of quick mobility, yet still a very stable platform.

No doubt these will be with me during the warm part of the season.

tarz@tradgang.com

Offline Brian L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »
I just bought the Meindl Taiga High Country System from Stephen and to say the least, I'm impressed. I haven't really had the chance to start breaking them in but I'm sure I'll report back with nothing but favorable reviews. Stephen really takes the time to make sure you get the right system and right fit.

Offline Greg Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 11:01:00 AM »
Best boots I have ever owned.  My other boots sit in the closet since I purchased my Meindl high country system.

Greg

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »
Well...I'm not a boot expert...but comfort, support and durability are hard to find in a boot.

I can't wear the 'soft' sole' boots into Cohutta...those that are supose to be 'quiet stalking' boots.  You will work your feet to death, and stone bruize them.  Thats why I switched over to 'true hiking' boots about 6 years ago...nice to see someone marketing this type of performance and comfort to hunters.

With the 'hiking type lasts'....the boots turn an uphill climb in to a set of stairs....I can't really explain it much better than that, you just have to experience it.

tarz@tradgang.com

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 09:06:00 AM »
The boots with the 'system' feel like they are actually propelling you. You just kind of naturally roll forward.

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 05:15:00 PM »
If you liked the boots they offer....wait till you see what's coming!!!

tarz@tradgang.com

Offline steve anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  Just got my Danners with steel toe for work, what a difference so far.  Knees and hips already starting to feel better. Walking 5-10 miles a day on concrete should be a good test.  :readit:
Progress is a word that should imply an improvement in the quality of life, but rarely does.   A.B. Guthrie

Offline Longbow57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »
I ended up with a pair of Island Pros after a bow season with wet boots.  Stephen Lathrop suggested them, with the footbed.

I can hike further, and after injuring my heel last summer, it actually felt better after a long weekend in the boots than before.

Money well spent, and I hear from Stephen that the new Han Wags are even better.

After buying these, I gave away 2 pair of my other boots.  I just don't wear them.

Offline Donald Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »
Terry,

Any updates?

How do you deal with the shortcomings of this type of boots when hiking in the East such as:
1) The lugs filling up with mud almost immediately and the difficulty of cleaning them, 2) the difficulty of maneuvering through wet grasses and leaf litter without being able to feel the ground.

I have a pair of Armond hiking boots that seem to be of extremely high quality and they fit very well, but here in the East, there aren't a lot of places to hike over stones;  so the advantages of this type of boot seem to be lost on me. When moving quickly through the woods, especially in hilly or mountainous territory, this type of boot seems almost dangerous to wear because of the hard soles and lack of ground feel as well as the way the lug soles fill up with mud and stubbornly refuse to give up the mud.

Do you have these types of problems or is it just the particular boots I have?

Don Clark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©