INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Martin Savanah Longbow  (Read 506 times)

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Savanah Longbow
« on: March 09, 2004, 07:37:00 PM »
I recently took in a few Martin bows and took the Savanah out for a test drive. She is 62" long and 60@28.
I will start by saying this is the best looking Martin I have ever seen. She is made of a bubinga riser with a black actionwood and maple stripe. The limbs are bubinga cored with zebrawood lams under clear glass. Bubinga overlays on the riser with zebra, bubinga, black glass  tips.A little bit of a dark bow but she sure is pretty.It has good mass weight and seems very stable. She comes with an Ultra cam string that has no stretch. Set the brace height and forget it.

The first thing I noticed was the string...many strands. Dont know how many but she seemed a little thick. Understandable though.

Strung her up and drew her back. Real smooth. I noticed no stack to my draw of 27+. Has the classic "D" shape some desire. Took her out to throw a few and found her to have a little handshock with the brace height at 7". Martin recommends 6 3/4 tp 7 1/2". After settling in at 7 1'4" she is shock free and has great cast. Beaver silenced the string.

The grip is what stands out when you touch this bow. A locater with a slight bulb that easily finds the right spot. Hard to grip this bow wrong or torque it.

I found the Savanah a pleasure to shoot and I was accurate out of the box with it.

The downfalls would be minimal. The limbs are a little wide, almost recurve-ish. If Martin would slim or trap or taper the limbs it would definitely pick up in performance.With that I am not a bowyer and Martin has been making bows since before I was born so what do I know? A 12-14 strand 450+ string would proly do this bow justice and pick it up alot.

That being said, the Savanah is the best Martin bow I have ever shot. As for looks I would put her up the best I have seen. Real nice wood combo that looks great together. Shooting was a pleasure and I dont have a chrono but she is fast enough for me. She throws a 720 grain Maple with authority. Martin has a good one here.

Offline Lonearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Savanah Longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 01:31:00 AM »
Ok, I've had the Savannah for a couple of days now and I have to say that this bow is absolutely awesome! It pulls 50# @ 28" with an amo length of 62". First off, the catalog pictures DO NOT do this bow justice. Yes the catalog pics are pretty but the bow is far more beautiful "in person". The overall finish of the Savannah is perfect and the wood combination is spectaular! This is one of the prettiest bows I have ever seen.  

The physical weight of the Savannah is very light. I've been shooting a Howatt Hunter recurve for several years and the Savannah is much lighter. I thought my Hunter was quiet but the Savannah is SILENT! It is equipped with beaver string silencers and when shot I could barely hear the bow at all. As for hand shock? None. Absolutely smooth in the hand with a very comfortable grip. It points very well and has a truly natural feel to it. The draw is smooth and even. At my draw length of 26" or 27" (I really can't remember what it is!   :knothead:   ) there is no finger pinch. I don't have a chrono so I can't give an accurate speed rating but I can tell you that this bow shoots very flat. My arrows are around 520 or so grains and are hitting the target with some definate authority!.

The Savannah is a real pleasure to shoot, overall I'd give it a ten. To sum it all up, the Savannah is one awesome bow.   :thumbsup:
Adventure is worthwhile in itself.

Offline Uncle Lijiah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
How much centershot does Savannah have? How stable is it, i.e., would it's relatively short 62" length be much of a handicap when taking longer shots that are common at 3-d tournaments?
Clint B.

Online rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 10:13:00 AM »
Another question....has anyone scaled a Savannah?  Martin use to be famous for having a heavier draw weight than marked...usually 4-5 lbs. It would be nice to know if this is still the case.

Offline Lonearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »
Uncle Lijah,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I wanted to take a close look at the bow before I answered.

Looking at the belly of the Savannah and "eyeballing" it, I have to say that it is not centershot but comes very close. The shelf appears to be cut just outside of center. As for stability on longer shots, this is my first real experience with a longbow and I'm not quite sure what you mean. I 've only shot this one at about 15 yards so far but at that range it groups very well and is definately more accurate than I can shoot it!   :knothead:   The limbs are 1 1/2" at the fade outs and taper evenly to 1/2" at the nocks. This is probably much like a "flatbow" and no doubt adds to the stability of the bow.

Rabbitman,

I haven't scaled it yet, I am going to try to make it to a local bow shop in the next couple of weeks to do just that and put it through a chronograph as well. I think Heydeerman may have scaled a 60# and if I remember right he said that it scaled at its marked weight.

Hope this helps,
Johnny

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »
Has anyone measured the bow to see how close to the 62" lenght it realy is. I had a hunter {red handle] that was marked 62" that was 64" and that was what the factory told me! Needles to say the bottom limb twisted. Just want to know if they tighen up their quality control.  :scared:

Offline Lonearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »
I have measured the bow and it is 62" nock to nock. The AMO is marked as 60". I haven't asked Martin but I think they may be doing this in order to ensure that the owner uses the right string length. My Hunter is 62" (and is marked as such) but requires a string that is 57" when strung, according to AMO this bow would have a 59" string, but that would give it the wrong brace height.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 11:40:00 PM »
Making something simple complicated!   :smileystooges:

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »
If it measures 62" nock to nock, it is not 60" AMO.  The AMO length is defined as the nock to nock measurement.

I wonder why they are advertising the bow as a 62" bow and marking it on the bow as 60" AMO?  Confucius say, that is not very good business practice.

Bill Lamb
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Lonearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »
Hmmm, it's advertised as 62" and it measures 62". Perhaps mine was mismarked, it happens. Don't know.

Like I stated above, this bow is amazing and it shoots like a dream. If you get a chance to try one out give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
Havent been here in a few days...

Uncle Lijah,
I have been shooting judos from 50-70 yards with this savanah and she shoots just fine. Mine is 60@28. I feel this bow is extremely stable and very well built.

Rabbitman,
Dont have a scale but she feels like a typical 60#er to me. Very smooth draw and very quiet on release.

Dad,
They are 62" just like they say. Put them up against my other 62"ers and they match up.

This bow will give the Vision a run for its money. Martin has a beauty of a bow that fires an  arrow like a beast. One thing you gotta remember, these bows are made one at a time by folks who have been at it no less than 15 years. The only time a machine is used is when the bow is pressed hydraulically. Everything is hand made on Martins. Top quality and consistancy.

Offline archerelf5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »
I had the chance to shoot a 40# Savanah longbow and I was truly impressed.  The arrow speed was like that of a 50+ # bow with a very smooth draw and quiet to boot.   :)    I didn't notice any handshock either.  If there was any... it was quite minimal.  As a woman, I could have easily shot 45-50+# Savanah without being overbowed.  IMHO, its not an easy task for a woman to find a traditional bow that shoots flat/fast given that we usually shoot a lower poundage than you men, making long yardages exceedingly difficult to reach.  For those of you with wives into archery I would recommend this bow.  :thumbsup:
May the sun shine upon your path and your arrow find its mark...

Offline longbowman43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »
This morning I shot my 70# Martin Savannah, WOW! it is quite the bow.  Its all everyone has been sharing in here.  I shot my wooden arrows and then I shot my son's Carbon Tech Whitetail arrow.  I was very impressed.
longbowman43:)

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take some venison.

Offline x-ring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »
Those are a really nice bow.  I love the wood selection in them.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 07:25:00 PM »
Good reports, all hands, and interesting info. Good thread start Heydeerman IMO - glad to see you percolatein'.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BrokenArrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 11:05:00 PM »
Liked it so much I got two of them!

Recently decided not to work any harder than I have too, just shoot for fun, so traded down to #35 40 draw weight bows.

Shooting more, enjoying it more too.
>>>>----->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©