INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Winter Wind Teton Recurve-Dale Sanford  (Read 357 times)

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
Winter Wind Teton Recurve-Dale Sanford
« on: March 01, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »
I just finished a three day personal evaluation of one of Dale Sanford's 50 style recurves. Based on some recommendations actually originating from this sight and some great testimonials by Dale's past customers I ordered a 62 inch Teton last week and received it on Friday. Dale is without a doubt a personable and knowledgeable guy, answered all of my questions both through e-mail and phone conversations and delivered the bow as promised, I lucked out because he had one in stock that was the weight I wanted. When I unpacked it and slid my hand around the riser my first reaction was "here is a real one piece recurve", having a generous size grip that can be grabbed onto or held with only two fingers,an immediate feel of good mass weight in the riser and great feel in the hand. For me the nostalgia of a true 50 style recurve is immediate as soon as you pick it up. It is 62 inch in length, 51#@28, diamond wood riser with an action wood core,and tulip wood veneer on front and belly (see his site)  www.winterwindarchery.com  
     His craftsmanship in my opinion is superb and his attention to detail right down to the leather grip which is tucked and rolled to cover the full length of the shelf is as good as it gets. After a quick tune up and a brace height adjustment to 7 10/16 and addition of some bow hush I proceeded to see what this bow would do. Despite the fact that it shot groups right out of the box the first day I totally dismissed forming any opinions. In my opinion all new bows shoot like a house of fire at first, its what they do after a couple of days and 300 arrows that gets my attention. Firstly on the draw the riser on these bows show absolutely no flex througout the draw cycle. Likewise there is no handshock or vibration through the riser. Infact the only vibrations was a very slight tip vibration which disappered as I made my way through different arrow choices. It is by far one of the smoothest drawing, stealth quiet and hard hitting one-piece recurves that I have had the pleasure to shoot.  After three days of continuous shooting the fit, feel and performance of this bow only got better. I can honestly say that at no time during the past three days did I ever feel that I was fighting the bow. I fed it a diet of 28.5 inch 1916's, gold tip 35-55 carbons of the same length and 60-64 lb barrell tapered woodies. It handled all of them but I spent the remainder of this weekend feeding it the woodies. Maybe it was just me but the nostaliga of this fifty style recurve and woodies just go hand in hand. Will this become "my go to bow", absolutely. At a price of $500 and change it is going to be tough to beat.  :bigsmyl:
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winter Wind Teton Recurve-Dale Sanford
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »
I have been looking at Dales recurve and Longbows there awsome....dang near perfect as far as I can tell...anyone else shot one...Its a keeper in my book...and they are fun to shoot...mark  :wavey:    :wavey:    :wavey:    :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »
Just a quick follow up for those of you who might be interested in one of Dale's bows. It been over a week since I first tested out his 62 inch recurve and I had the opportunity to give it a good work out stump shooting over the weekend. The quietness of this bow is outstanding and it still continues to point and shoot extremely well. I have been feeding it a steady diet of woodies and it lacks nothing in its ability to cast an arrow with authority, it is only in the 50 lb range at my draw. Since I own and operate an archery shop I have had a bunch of guys pick this bow up and shoot it over the past two weekends. Not one single complaint from any of the shooters. All were impressed with its shootability and overall performance. As I said before how well a bow shoots and how well you can shoot a bow after a week tells me alot if it is go to bow. My opinion has not changed, it only gets better.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »
Cant wait to see Dale and his great bows at " The Real Thing 3D shoot in Baton Rouge LOuisiana those cajuns know how to put on the "dog"! and pass a good time...its going to be the biggest 3D shoot for the Amite River Traditional Archery Club!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hope to see you there , I will be greeting a bunch of you vendors!!!!JUNE 4th ,5th , 6th....Sunday worship service... great food , primitive camping,vendors ,prizes, raffals, bows to be given away , and stuff for the kids 2 fishing ponds , tons od shade and Air Condition areas and nice bathrooms....see ya there!!!there will be a prize given to the person that has traveled the farthest!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 02:22:00 PM »
Just a few more weeks ....june 4th ,5th , 6th..cant wait to see Dale's new bows...Mark#78

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©