INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Soda can camp stove  (Read 355 times)

Offline woodland

• Trad Bowhunter
Soda can camp stove
« on: February 28, 2004, 01:04:00 AM »
A stove you can make yourself out of soda cans. I used one at 6500 feet in the Trinity Alps to boil H2O for freeze dried meals and hot drinks it worked great. It is also the lightest stove you will ever find. It is made useing the bottoms of two soda cans and burns denatured alcohol. I followed the instructions at this web site.     http://hikinghq.net  it listed under simmer soda stove.  Try it I think you will like, I did,
Dan.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Soda can camp stove
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 02:22:00 AM »
A buddy of mine made one....they are definatly neat.

I was concerned with squashing it on a bigger hunt.

Offline Chris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 12:28:00 PM »
If you want one that's a little more durable, use a couple of Tuna cans. I made one up and used it for a weekend backpacking trip for my wife and I. It worked great. I actually carried two of them so I'd have a spare and it was still much lighter than any stove I've used.

Another good tip is to take some foam sleeping pad and cut it up to fit around, over, and under your cooking pot (with the lid on) to make a warmer. Then you can reduce your cooking time on the burner, put the pot in your "Warmer", and let it finish cooking without using any fuel.

chris
For some, hunting is a pleasant way to spend a fall afternoon, for others it is who they are.

Offline Ordin_Aryguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 11:41:00 PM »
My exclusive backpacking stove is the a soda can stove. What's not to love about it?? It's incredibly small, has no moving parts, is extremely lightweight, fuel is cheap and available everywhere, it works flawlessly each and every time, and costs next to nothing.

Since using the soda can stove, I've never once had to tear a stove down to clear a clogged jet, or lost a tiny little part that can't has to purchased via mail order.

For backcountry cooking I've got a soda can stove, a windscreen/potstand made from roof flashing, and a couple of pans. All of the above nest together, protecting the soda can stove and windscreen when it's wedged in my backpack.

It's the perfect cooking option if you're into easy, cheap, light, and reliable.

Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2019 ~ Trad Gang.com ©